Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Burly Decides to Pull Again...

Quote Originally Posted by JM1000 View Post
    Good job Burly, just got to 405 myself... After 7 months though:S
    Nice job on the PR! I'm sure those numbers will only get more impressive.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    powerfull
    ill be first to admit i dont pull more, impressed by the old guy, especially with the layoff

***liquid chalk is good stuff
    Good to know. Never have used the liquid chalk. I have some regular chalk somewhere around the house, but not sure if the gym allows it. I have no idea how much weight my grip will hold with and without the chalk. I suppose I'll find out.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woke up this morning a little sore, but not bad, considering the workout. No apparent damage. Shoulder is a little tweaky, which was true before the pull, but I can tell I put some strain on it. Really glad I didn't try to push myself and work delts afterwards.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Good to know. Never have used the liquid chalk. I have some regular chalk somewhere around the house, but not sure if the gym allows it. I have no idea how much weight my grip will hold with and without the chalk. I suppose I'll find out.
    i prefer it to straps for pulling movements.....weight wise enables me another plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolazice View Post
    I'm betting that the average 'Joe' can't DL much more than body-weight the first time he were to try it, so for you to still be able to do more than 2x BW straight out the gate after a 2 decade layoff definitely puts you in the impressive category in my book.
    Thanks bud. I guess it's all relative, really. Where I used to work out in my heyday, we had lots of guys pulling 800+. Granted, these were national and world champions, but I was always the puny guy there. Lol.

I started the log to record progress and thought it might be interesting to others. Also thought it might be a decent place to talk about the dead lift in general, talk about technique, and congratulate others on their milestone PRs. Since my pull days may not be every week, we can use this as a gathering place for all kinds of questions on the dead lift.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea on starting this thread. My favorite lift is the deadlift, and I love talking/learning about it. I'm glad you put it back into your regime, I'm sure you'll see some great results aesthetics wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    Great idea on starting this thread. My favorite lift is the deadlift, and I love talking/learning about it. I'm glad you put it back into your regime, I'm sure you'll see some great results aesthetics wise.
    Funny you should bring up aesthetics. I am in the process of recomping (slowly) and I am curious as to the effects while in a non-bulk mode. Wondering about ab and oblique development, as well as glute/ham development. May also bring additional thickness to my mid/upper back.

As far as discussion on the lift, I'm glad we have Rodja and Sorrow here to add their 2 cents. And now Wesley, too.

I watched a Rippetoe vid on YouTube about the dead, and he stated some great info on the biomechanics of the lift. I'll have to look it up later. It confirmed everything I had always believed about back angle and overall body placement.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 04-25-2013 at 08:40 AM.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Funny you should bring up aesthetics. I am in the process of recomping (slowly) and I am curious as to the effects while in a non-bulk mode. Wondering about ab and oblique development, as well as glute/ham development. May also bring additional thickness to my mid/upper back.

As far as discussion on the lift, I'm glad we have Rodja and Sorrow here to add their 2 cents. And now Wesley, too.

I watched a Rippetoe vid on YouTube about the dead, and he stated some great info on the biomechanics of the lift. I'll have to look it up later. It confirmed everything I had always believed about back angle and overall body placement.
    I think regardless of the way you're pulling (conventional vs sumo), you'll def develop every area you mentioned.

I've managed to get my sumo deads up to 545 for my 1RM. I've really had to work on my weaknesses (glutes and hams) to get that weight off the ground, as well as working on bar pulling speed.

"So you think you can deadlift?" is one of my personal favorites from Dave Tate. He does a great job explaining both sumo and conventional pulls.
    Last edited by O_RYAN_007; 04-25-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burly Decides to Pull Again...

I have had good success this year dead lifting and I've found chasing weight evokes a variety of good habits: The lift requires highly executed form, and concentration with attention to details like feedback from your body.

I think it's the best bang for buck as far as lower body movements are concerned. I know it's sac religious but, I've found that the trap bar is a good way to add volume to a dead lift training day if for anything, it's a little safer plus it helps target the upper back nicely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    I think regardless of the way you're pulling (conventional vs sumo), you'll def develop every area you mentioned.

I've managed to get my sumo deads up to 545 for my 1RM. I've really had to work on my weaknesses (glutes and hams) to get that weight off the ground, as well as working on bar pulling speed.

"So you think you can deadlift?" is one of my personal favorites from Dave Tate. He does a great job explaining both sumo and conventional pulls.
    I pull conventional. Sumo never felt comfortable to me. I've seen the Dave Tate video, and yes it has a lot of great points in it. If I remember correctly, it talks a lot about bar speed which is something I never really concentrated on in the past but I did play with it a little bit on my pulls last night. 545 is a great number. You should be proud of that!