User Tag List

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got 405 for 3 sets of 5 tonight! Followed up with 365x10, then moved onto sumo deads.. Hit 4 sets of 10 with 295, then moved to 4 supersets of underhand pull-ups with stiff leg deads for 20 reps

Am I winning??

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post
    Just got 405 for 3 sets of 5 tonight! Followed up with 365x10, then moved onto sumo deads.. Hit 4 sets of 10 with 295, then moved to 4 supersets of underhand pull-ups with stiff leg deads for 20 reps

Am I winning??
    On reps and endurance, I won't even attempt to compete with you there. YOU WIN! Haha. I have no idea how you can do that many high rep sets of deads because after just a few low rep sets, I'm burnt like toast. On the strength portion... looks like you and I are neck and neck. Nice going, by the way. You are strong, getting stronger, and blasting out those high reps is a serious feat to accomplish. Props from Burly.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yessss... I can feel my ego inflating now..

I liked sumo though and I'm going to strictly be doing front squat and sumo squat for my main squats on squat day instead of back... back squats aren't very fun anymore haha I need to improve on stuff for it to be fun and all that happens on squat is I lose gains from my cycle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Weekend, you have another week to gloat because my DL workout today was a bust.

I twisted my knee getting into my truck today. It doesn't take much for my knees to get outta whack. Well, I knew I torqued it a bit this afternoon, but it wasn't hurting me constantly. However, when I went to warm up with 135, I couldn't even get into bent-knee position without sharp pain.

I decided to manipulate the patella a bit to see if I could get it tracking better. After a couple minutes, it did indeed feel better, but it was still popping/crackling every few steps. I was able to do my warmup set. I noticed my upper and mid back was extra tight today. My upper back and neck have been tight for a few days and causing headaches, but it didn't dawn on me until I got into position and pulling the weight just how tight it was. I'm not entirely sure of the cause. Seasonal allergies give me headaches and then my upper traps and neck tighten, so that could be part of the issue.

My lower back felt tight, too, but seemed ok to move up. So I went to 225 for a set of 5, which went ok but everything being so tight, it felt a bit heavier than usual. I then moved up to 275. I felt my lower back a bit, but sometimes I am able to work through the kinks during warmups and things get better. My mid back was still feeling very tight.

I moved up to 315. For whatever reason, my body was not ok with this. I got into position, pulled about 2 inches off the floor and my lower back and mid back had sharp pains and I shut down the pull. Quite frankly, I was a bit confused. None of the pain presented itself at 275. I decided maybe it was a fluke and regripped the bar for another attempt. Same result.

I have to say, I was pretty unhappy about how this workout went. The strength is there, but the pain overrules it. I'm smart enough to know when to call it quits, so I unloaded the bar and tried to make the most of the rest of my back workout.

Even when I went to pullups, my mid back was feeling all kinked and knotted up. After a few sets, I decided to just go light, get bloodflow and see if I can loosen this mess of a back. I supersetted close grip pulldowns (palms facing me) with T-bar rows. Both with light weight that allowed for about 15 reps. I did about a half dozen supersets and got a decent pump. It also helped to loosen up my back a bit. Not entirely, but it helped.

I went light on shoulders, too, just doing some shoulder flyes to the front, back, and side.

After 2 workouts that went poorly, I'm a bit discouraged about the deadlifts. I will just have to give my back more time. That vertebrae is still not in alignment and it is obviously pinching a nerve. Every once in a while, during my normal day, that nerve gets pinched a bit and if I don't switch my weight to the other leg, I would probably fall over. I lose strength in that leg for a nano-second in just the right position.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things went better today. Keep in mind, I haven't really DL'd for over 2 weeks now because of my back.. might be nearly 3 weeks.

I went to a different anytime fitness today when I realized their rubber plates were round, not octagonal like I thought. This had kept me away from this gym (my usual gym) for DLs until this week. There is a little more room to DL here... provided you are willing to DL inside the power rack, which I did today.

The knurling on this bar was a lot more aggressive and I was a little fearsome that it would turn my palms into hamburger, but all went remarkably well in that aspect. Palms are intact. My shin, on the other hand.. not so much. I took a narrower stance today so that my shins would stay in the smooth section of the bar. That knurling would have chewed up my shins something fierce!

135 x 12
    225 x 5
    275 x 2
    315 x 2
    365 x 1
    405 x 5
    405 x 5

Everything felt quite good throughout the workout. My back is still out of alignment a bit, but no more pinched nerves. No pain in the knee like last week's attempt. I stopped after 2 sets at 405 for two reasons. First, it has been weeks since I've DL'ed this much weight and second, I could tell I had already gotten a great workout and there was no reason to push it on the first day back to pulling.

After the DLs, and for the first time since I started DLing again, I dropped a couple plates off the bar and did a few sets of bent over rows with 225. I could tell my back was seriously fatigued. Any more weight would have been too much strain on my back with it being pre-fatigued like that. I could tell that I have been missing that exercise in my repertoire, too. It hits a part of my back that no other exercise will mimic. I finished out back with pullups and DB rows and then did BB presses to the front for delts, as my rear delts were literally on fire from all the rows/pullups.

I think next week, provided it all feels good, I'll jump up to 425 on the DL and see how that feels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just beat my 405 3x5! Cause I'm not planning on any weight increase until I get a set of 10! Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post
    Just beat my 405 3x5! Cause I'm not planning on any weight increase until I get a set of 10! Lol
    You can keep your high rep deads. I want no part of them. I was huffing and puffing so hard today after my sets of 5 that I am not sure what the other people in the gym were breathing because I am pretty sure I was hogging all the oxygen.

I had a couple kids come up to me after the pull and say "wow, we've never seen anyone pull 4 plates. How long have you been working out?" I didn't have the heart to tell them that when I was their age I was pulling 5 plates+. Nice kids, though. Turns out one of them is buddies of the grandson of Doyle Kenady, the DL king of the 80s that I worked out with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I did squats yesterday, I came into DL day with sore glute, quads, and hams. I was a little worried how that might affect my day. Overall, it turned out pretty good, with a little disappointment at the end...

135 x 12
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    315 x 2
    365 x 1 felt real good.
    425 x 5 felt like I could have done 8+
    455.... vertebrae popped out of alignment as I went to pull. End of DLs for the night. Thankfully, after some pullups to stretch out, I think I got myself realigned with some self-chiropracty. Back feels good. Just tired.

One "good" part about an abbreviated DL session was that I wasn't too exhausted to put in a full back workout. Ended the session with some db presses for Delta and, of course, calf work.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    455.... vertebrae popped out of alignment as I went to pull.
    I winced as I read this.
    I'd be done if it happened to me, I don't play with back problems.

Is this something normal for you? I can dislocate my left shoulder and pop it back in with no issue due to a nice tear in my rotator cuff. Dunno if you just have something similar going on.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burly Decides to Pull Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    I winced as I read this.
    I'd be done if it happened to me, I don't play with back problems.

Is this something normal for you? I can dislocate my left shoulder and pop it back in with no issue due to a nice tear in my rotator cuff. Dunno if you just have something similar going on.
    I rolled up into a ball on my side and hid under the blanket. I'd rather have abdominal surgery with no anesthetic and a dull combat knife.

And do something for that cuff before the scar tissue hardens and creates an adhesion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."