Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcabedo View Post
    If you just started, I'd say stick with it a little longer then really assess from there.
    Of course. I'm very happy with how everything has been progressing, except my stalled bench. Figured the guys here would be able to help out. Maybe move some things around or replace them with others, etc...

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all of this discussion, there has yet to be a mention of technique or a video looking for criticism of your technique. More often than not, the technique itself is going to be the limiting factor. Another factor is that you're training your chest and not your bench (they're not the same).
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do go on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    Please do go on...
    The bench press is a full-body movement that requires it to be trained as such. Contrary to what BB'ers believe, the bench press is NOT a chest exercise. If you're chasing numbers, then you first need to analyze your technical weaknesses before trying to fix the problem with exercises and learning a properly executed bench press takes years to truly master, which is another reason to not train it once a week.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I wouldn't recommend squat and bench on the same day.

2. Work your chest more than twice a week, start at twice then maybe three times, even up to four times a week.

3. If you want size then don't worry about your strength numbers. They aren't nearly as important as getting more stress on your chest muscles. Strength is just numbers, numbers are blown out of proportion when size and shape are the main thing.

4. Don't bench press, work with dumb bells which are much better for chest development.

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) Coolazice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    1. I wouldn't recommend squat and bench on the same day.

2. Work your chest more than twice a week, start at twice then maybe three times, even up to four times a week.

3. If you want size then don't worry about your strength numbers. They aren't nearly as important as getting more stress on your chest muscles. Strength is just numbers, numbers are blown out of proportion when size and shape are the main thing.

4. Don't bench press, work with dumb bells which are much better for chest development.
    Nice to see you posting something positive and constructive. Please continue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolazice View Post
    Nice to see you posting something positive and constructive. Please continue!
    Negative or positive, I just want to share honesty. Just trying to help him the best I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rodja,

I'd say technical weekness(if I'm following you right) is getting the bar off my chest, and possibly my tricep strength. That is why I switched to the sets of 5 reps on tricep exercises. Figured the heavier weight would help. Though again, not being able to get the bar off my chest easily seems as if it may be exactly that; a chest problem.

Since this thread has come to focus on chest size too, and God knows I could use more; what is your chest exercise recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    Rodja,

I'd say technical weekness(if I'm following you right) is getting the bar off my chest, and possibly my tricep strength. That is why I switched to the sets of 5 reps on tricep exercises. Figured the heavier weight would help. Though again, not being able to get the bar off my chest easily seems as if it may be exactly that; a chest problem.

Since this thread has come to focus on chest size too, and God knows I could use more; what is your chest exercise recommendations?
    What you described is your sticking point/physical weakness and not necessarily a technical weakness. Without a video, it's impossible to give out advice on where you may or may not have a technical weakness.

Chest size is not something that you should concern yourself with if your goals are pure numbers. Strength, yes, but not size. Personally, I am a huge advocate of weighted dips, close grip incline presses, floor press, and JM presses to increase your bench strength.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bench Press: Limiting Factors?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    What you described is your sticking point/physical weakness and not necessarily a technical weakness. Without a video, it's impossible to give out advice on where you may or may not have a technical weakness.

Chest size is not something that you should concern yourself with if your goals are pure numbers. Strength, yes, but not size. Personally, I am a huge advocate of weighted dips, close grip incline presses, floor press, and JM presses to increase your bench strength.
    Not to rob the thread, but what's you recommendation for size?