User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bench Press: Limiting Factors?

Everyone's biomechanics are different, but could it be that the wide grip itself is a limiting factor? I have no idea how you are built and how that width affects the alignment of arm/elbow travel throughout the movement. For me, a wide grip puts the shoulders and triceps at a very weak mechanical position.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Everyone's biomechanics are different, but could it be that the wide grip itself is a limiting factor? I have no idea how you are built and how that width affects the alignment of arm/elbow travel throughout the movement. For me, a wide grip puts the shoulders and triceps at a very weak mechanical position.
    Yes, it very well could be.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    Not to rob the thread, but what's you recommendation for size?

It's more than just size in general. You'd have to look in the mirror and see what part of your chest is lacking. For most people the upper chest is a weak point. So bringing that part up may not add size but will give a much fuller appearance. If it's the lower pec than decline dumbbell press becomes important. It was actually Dorian Yates favorite mass exercise for chest. Also don't overlook isolation movements that play a key factor in filling in weakness in a physique.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I perform bench press variations I was under the impression that you can't isolate any one part of the pectoral muscle, because of the way the muscle fibers lie, forcing all of them to be stimulated.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to switch to a closer grip and see how that treats me.

As for my build; I started this journey @ 6ft 135lbs, and I sit around 180-185lbs. So even though I've put 40lbs+ on I have an extremely thin frame, but I'm neither all legs or have lanky arms.

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) Coolazice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    1. I wouldn't recommend squat and bench on the same day.

2. Work your chest more than twice a week, start at twice then maybe three times, even up to four times a week.

3. If you want size then don't worry about your strength numbers. They aren't nearly as important as getting more stress on your chest muscles. Strength is just numbers, numbers are blown out of proportion when size and shape are the main thing.

4. Don't bench press, work with dumb bells which are much better for chest development.
    Nice to see you posting something positive and constructive. Please continue!

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolazice View Post
    Nice to see you posting something positive and constructive. Please continue!
    Negative or positive, I just want to share honesty. Just trying to help him the best I can.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 WesleyInman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice thread..good info from all different angles.

I don't wanna come here as a newbie and give any advice, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I made a video with few different techniques I have found effective for adding strength. I do agree with Sandman that when looking for size, strength is not as important..I get bigger from lighter weights...but either way maybe you might see a technique you like in this? Just a few ideas for consideration

5- Steps to a Stronger Bench Press- Wesley Inman Strongman - Prescription Nutrition - YouTube
    National Sponsored Lightweight Strongman Competitor
    Prescription Nutrition Athlete and TEAM REP

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wesley,

Don't worry about being new to the community, your opinion and advice is very welcome here. Video looks well made, will check it out at home when I can use audio (I am at work).

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bench Press: Limiting Factors?

Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    Wesley,

Don't worry about being new to the community, your opinion and advice is very welcome here. Video looks well made, will check it out at home when I can use audio (I am at work).
    x2. Glad to have you on board and we want you to voice your opinions!
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.