User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Rodja, ok my misunderstanding.

@ Wesley, I think you're more then qualified! All are welcome. There's always something new to learn. At least for me anyways.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 JM1000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice video! Thanks for sharing. I'm always willing to learn from the more experienced.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    Though I perform bench press variations I was under the impression that you can't isolate any one part of the pectoral muscle, because of the way the muscle fibers lie, forcing all of them to be stimulated.
    There is a clavicular head that kind take the emphasis with an incline movement, but they cannot be isolated.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) milehighguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyInman View Post
    but I made a video with few different techniques I have found effective for adding strength. I do agree with Sandman that when looking for size, strength is not as important..I get bigger from lighter weights...but either way maybe you might see a technique you like in this? Just a few ideas for consideration
    Good stuff...
    Your tempo is fast but maybe that was on mostly on your warm-up sets

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice thread..good info from all different angles.

I don't wanna come here as a newbie and give any advice, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I made a video with few different techniques I have found effective for adding strength. I do agree with Sandman that when looking for size, strength is not as important..I get bigger from lighter weights...but either way maybe you might see a technique you like in this? Just a few ideas for consideration

5- Steps to a Stronger Bench Press- Wesley Inman Strongman - Prescription Nutrition - YouTube
    Pretty good tips Wes! Whats that topical cream name, and what does it do? Pain reliever?

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    There is a clavicular head that kind take the emphasis with an incline movement, but they cannot be isolated.
    I was kind of under the impression that muscle wise there is the Pectoralis major as a prime mover, Clavicular more or less acted to stabilize/ provide a base for the pectoralis to act against. But only for a short time "off the chest" or the hole for the bench press.
    Completely agree they cant be isolated from each other, maybe more or less dominate depending on angle, but not isolated.

As the bar moves further away from the chest it provides less to the lift and the triceps take over. The biceps act to limit the triceps slowing the press as you close in on lockout. A protection to keep from tearing the triceps off the bone.

What I'm thinking is a stronger starting force off the chest in his case would help carry him into the tricep dominate portion. Thats what I was leaning toward a paused rep to remove any stretch reflex at the bottom of the lift. Force him to stay tight and generate more of the starting power from muscular contraction not reaction. Just my thought anyway.

There is lots of good info and perspectives in this thread.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 WesleyInman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    Pretty good tips Wes! Whats that topical cream name, and what does it do? Pain reliever?
    The topical lotion is made by Absorbine JR. You can buy it online or at local feed stores. We have a store called Tractor Supply that they sell it at..its like $12 bucks. I got turned on to it about 8 years ago from Worlds Strongest Man Competitors.

Its for horses legs, for arthritis, etc..but it is amazing. Best topical that exists IMO. It relieves joint aches, muscle aches, etc..all without the menthol feeling. No hot or cold..It dulls and supposedly helps heal the area bc it improves circulation. I swear by this stuff..I have bad tendonitis, and I apply a dime sized amount to each elbow before pressing and I can train 100% no issues. Love the stuff...Try it if you have a chance

Thank you and everyone else here for the kind words as well!
    National Sponsored Lightweight Strongman Competitor
    Prescription Nutrition Athlete and TEAM REP

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The topical lotion is made by Absorbine JR. You can buy it online or at local feed stores. We have a store called Tractor Supply that they sell it at..its like $12 bucks. I got turned on to it about 8 years ago from Worlds Strongest Man Competitors.

Its for horses legs, for arthritis, etc..but it is amazing. Best topical that exists IMO. It relieves joint aches, muscle aches, etc..all without the menthol feeling. No hot or cold..It dulls and supposedly helps heal the area bc it improves circulation. I swear by this stuff..I have bad tendonitis, and I apply a dime sized amount to each elbow before pressing and I can train 100% no issues. Love the stuff...Try it if you have a chance

Thank you and everyone else here for the kind words as well!

I'll stop my my local tractor supply this weekend when I go to visit my family.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bench Press: Limiting Factors?

Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    I'll stop my my local tractor supply this weekend when I go to visit my family.
    Amazon also carries it.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.