User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bench Press: Limiting Factors?

I've always had a very low bench and small chest. I've been mostly lifting 5,3,1 for the last 6 months, with all my assisted lifts in the 8-12 window. I've recently switched my routine to accommodate even heavier weight, but my bench numbers will not go up(let alone my chest growing). Incidentally my squat numbers keep climbing weekly. Here's my current chest routine:

W/G Flat BB Bench: 6, 1, 6
    Incline DB Bench: 3, 3, 3 +30 second fascia stretches
    Weighted dips: 3, 3, 3
    Pec Deck: 1 rest/pause set starting with 8 reps and going for 3 sets with 15 second rest.

Chest is paired with legs once a week on Monday. I feel my limiting factor may be tricep strength, but as I've said I have a tiny chest so it may be that. Thought about maybe benching twice a week now, or switching to a closer grip. Wondering also, if my heavy squats are exhausting me too much.

Any Tips?
    Last edited by Grape Ape; 04-29-2013 at 05:45 PM.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    switch to 4 sets of 12-15 for as heavy as you can go on your main pressing exercises.

my chest/bi workout yesterday:
    warmup incline bb low rep with 135, 155
    incline BB bench 4(ish) working sets of 185, 205, 225, 185 all for 8 reps but i think try going higher, i often do
    preacher curl 5x10
    flat db bench 4 sets of 10 with 90's
    hammer curl 5x20(10 reps/arm)
    decline smith close grip, worked up to 180(?) was 45 and 35 on each side
    weighted dips, only 35 lbs but 4 sets of 12

the other thing is, how are your rows, rear delts and lats? i find that my stability on bench just goes up as soon as i work on these more

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great point regarding lats. I feel the same way with dips and bench... If my lats are strong so is my bench.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upper back is a strong point for me. Both aestheticly and strength.

My deadlift is weak too as I seem to have immense issues here. However I have a powerlifter friend of mine coming through to work on form.

How exactly is the higher reps supposed to help with my bench numbers? Keep in mind that up to the last few weeks I was benching mostly in the 12 rep range. Routine looked like this:

W/G BB Flat Bench: 5, 3, 1
    W/G BB Incline Bench: 2x12
    W/G BB Decline Bench: 2x12

Just trying to get a better understanding.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Dcabedo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would seperate chest and legs. I to used to have a pretty weak/small chest but ever since my brother called me out on it I decided I needed a change.

heres my usual chest routine. I'll also switch focus between upper and lower chest each week.

flat db bench
    -4 sets of 8-10(105, 110, 115, 125 lbs.) some days ill hit 125 for the last 2 sets for about 5 or 6 reps
    decline hammer press
    -4 sets of 8-10(135 lbs each side)
    dips
    -4 sets of 10(some days ill do weighted with a 45 plate)
    incline bb bench
    -4 sets of 10(135 lbs with pause reps...ill usually work up to 185 with pause reps.)
    flyes
    4 sets of 10-15(if i still have energy! haha)
    "Powerlifting is a manifestation of my hatred for humanity."

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    Upper back is a strong point for me. Both aestheticly and strength.

My deadlift is weak too as I seem to have immense issues here. However I have a powerlifter friend of mine coming through to work on form.

How exactly is the higher reps supposed to help with my bench numbers? Keep in mind that up to the last few weeks I was benching mostly in the 12 rep range. Routine looked like this:

W/G BB Flat Bench: 5, 3, 1
    W/G BB Incline Bench: 2x12
    W/G BB Decline Bench: 2x12

Just trying to get a better understanding.
    what is W/G?

that workout is not shit, your bench isnt going up because that is barely any work, even if it was really heavy that only should take 20 min max.. you need to hammer your chest for an hour at LEAST.

this is just my opinion, and i dont have a great chest and my bench is only 225x10,9,9 as of my last flat bench (working on 3 sets of 15)

but i believe volume training is what you need.

also deadlift will strengthen your glutes, i flex my glutes hard on bench and it helps a lot

edit: also where are the DB's!
    Last edited by weekend; 04-29-2013 at 07:26 PM.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Dcabedo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is W/G?
    Wide grip?
    "Powerlifting is a manifestation of my hatred for humanity."

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nutrition, rest and routine.

I have had good results with a 5 day split and my 2 chest days being flat, incline overhead and dips, shrugs, pushups. I like working for 4 to 6 sets in 6 to 12 rep.

The key to any movement is lifting with all your heart. It sounds corny but I love benching and dead lifting and when I power lift those numbers climb. I have a dexterity and fortitude with them and I put everything I have into them. I don't have the same feeling when I back squat and it's reflected in my progress.

Consume those cals and get as much quality sleep as you can. Try not to stress the numbers and just maintain any semi-logical routine.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post

Chest is paired with legs once a week on Monday. I feel my limiting factor may be tricep strength, but as I've said I have a tiny chest so it may be that. Thought about maybe benching twice a week now, or switching to a closer grip. Wondering also, if my heavy squats are exhausting me too much.

Any Tips?
    Does it seem like the bar is slow off the chest, or do you have trouble fully locking out the lift?

I wouldn't bench twice a week. Let yourself rest. If you over do it you for sure wont grow!

What do you consider a wide grip/ close grip? I've found good success bringing my grip in a little. I usually keep my middle finger on the rings these days. In practice the closer the grip the more tricep involvement you get.

IT is possible your body isn't recovering if you are really pushing it on squats. Lay off or go light on squat day just to see if you feel more stable on bench day. And it's cool your bro is going to come through and help check technique. Trying to push your max up with improper form leads to injury. And weather your worried about power or aesthetics an injury is no good.

Personaly I'd drop the dips for say a month and sub in some other tricep work. something like floor press or skull crushers.
    Don't get frustrated! The potential is there, just a matter of setting yourself up for success.

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) milehighguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would split the leg and chest day up into 2 different days and spend more time on chest then what you do today. I do agree with weekend in that I don't think your hitting it hard/long enough.