User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, if you used to be able to do them a bit, i think personally that you could at least do stiff leg deads if you're very careful with keeping your lumbar arched. it will train your muscles around the injury super well too.

but definitely be careful, dont want to make anything worse. maybe start with the hypers and then move up to the stiffys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also high rep on the trap bar deadlift would make a damn good replacement for squatting, if it doesnt irritate the injury..

i have had pretty gnarly back problems from squatting... deadlifting both trap bar and barbell allowed me to grow my legs while letting the injury recover. the injury was an issue with muscle imbalance in the lumbar and possibly fascia was messed up, doing a shit ton of planks helped too.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, here is something i have been wondering...

a bunch of authors say it is impossible to grow in a particular muscle group without overall weight gain. thoughts on this? I want to keep growing and making progress but squats and deads are out for now. I have been substituting other big exercises that work a lot of the body, such as chins, dips, rows, military presses. i am making upper body gains, but if my "foundation" doesn't get stronger i wonder how much longer i can continue.

the sled pushes/pulls are good, they really work my legs but it doesn't feel like the same intensity as 5 sets of squats. plus, i now live further from the park so the sled pushes are done shorter-range on rubber matting with UHMW skis. i can still flip the sled around and keep going (or switch to the low-push handles on the other side), but again, it's not quite the same as dragging it 50 metres across a grassy field with tall grass.

anyway i would like thoughts on my question whether i can continue to grow without squats. i guess "squats=growth" is something that has been indoctrinated into my brain.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help me design a leg routine!!

Quote Originally Posted by pman42 View Post
    okay, here is something i have been wondering...

a bunch of authors say it is impossible to grow in a particular muscle group without overall weight gain. thoughts on this? I want to keep growing and making progress but squats and deads are out for now. I have been substituting other big exercises that work a lot of the body, such as chins, dips, rows, military presses. i am making upper body gains, but if my "foundation" doesn't get stronger i wonder how much longer i can continue.

the sled pushes/pulls are good, they really work my legs but it doesn't feel like the same intensity as 5 sets of squats. plus, i now live further from the park so the sled pushes are done shorter-range on rubber matting with UHMW skis. i can still flip the sled around and keep going (or switch to the low-push handles on the other side), but again, it's not quite the same as dragging it 50 metres across a grassy field with tall grass.

anyway i would like thoughts on my question whether i can continue to grow without squats. i guess "squats=growth" is something that has been indoctrinated into my brain.
    Never bought into the "must squat to grow" theory. This is coming from a guy who really loves the squat, too. To be honest, I found my upper body growth lags behind when tasked with recovering from intense leg/squat workouts and while not being assisted with anabolics. And I know plenty of guys with huge upper bodies that don't do much when it come to legs.

Work around your situation the best you can and see how it goes.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.