User Tag List

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Burly Decides to Bench Again...

Really good info, Sperwer. However, the whole time I was reading all of that, one thought kept coming back to me: "Sperwer walked away from a helicopter accident... who does that?".
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burly Decides to Bench Again...

Fortunately, we already were on the way in and only about 200 meters off the ground when the RPG took a chunk of the tail. The pilot also had some mad skills. I was more worried about getting shot than crashing, especially without being able to shoot back, but i guess the gunners thought we were goners and left us to our perceived fate. Everyone survived, but a couple of my guys were really banged up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sperwer; 06-06-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sperwer View Post
    Fortunately, we already were on the way in and only about 200 meters off the ground when the RPG took a chunk of the tail. The pilot also had some mad skills. �� I was more worried about getting shot than crashing but i guess the gunners thought we were goners and left us to our perceived fate. Everyone survived, but a couple of my guys were really banged up.

Forget about "Story Time with Burly"... it's time for "Storytime with Sperwer". Holy Mackerel, bud. Scary stuff. And while I'm at it, thanks for your service. Much appreciated.

My shoulder seems better today. Not 100% (it rarely feels that good), but not so inflamed and unstable. I'll be out of town and away from the gym all weekend, so the shoulder and the rest of the body will get a little extra rest and recuperation.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burly Decides to Bench Again...

Thanks Bud. We didn't get a lotta love back then

"The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a little busy, so was not able to update on my Thursday workout.

Since my back was sore, squats were out, deads were out, lats got worked the day before... So I decided to do my chest and arms again. It had been 3 days and everything felt recovered. Even my shoulder felt pretty decent. I wasn't sure how it would go, as I normally have more days in between the same workout, but figured I would give it a go and adjust on the fly.

Bench Press

Bar x 25
    95 x 15
    135 x 12
    185 x 5 finally starting to feel less shaky at this weight
    225 x 2 felt strong and solid
    245 x 1 felt good
    265 x 4 Pretty sure 5 would not have happened
    265 x 4 Fourth one was very tough, but bar never stopped moving... just started going verrry slow.

Shoulder started feeling the weight and getting sore after the second set of four, and since I had already put in a full workout 3 days earlier, I called this sufficient for bench. Hoping to bump up the reps to sets of 5 at the same weight very soon.

I finished out the chest workout with something different, about 8 sets of flyes on the cable crossover, in two different positions. Light weight, high reps, and strict form. Burned like fire. Finished out the workout with bis and tris and calves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a day of DLs, followed by a day of squats, I felt a bit tired today after working all day and not eating much, but I hit the gym anyway. I had to take in some simple carbs preworkout along with my All-In, just to keep the blood sugar from making me ravenously hungry. Once I got some of my PeptoPro/Tang mix in me, I felt a little better, too.

I felt tired because of the two heavy workouts the two days prior, but the shoulder felt half decent.

Bar x 20
    95 x 12
    135 x 10
    185 x 5
    225 x 2 felt good
    245 x 1 felt good and strong here. Decided that the 265 x 5 x 3 goal would likely be a success, and so moved up.
    280 x 3 felt good. Surprised myself when the third one went up. Back cramped a bit on the last rep, but stretched it out.
    280 x 3 felt good. Confidence from the previous set helped. Again, #3 was tough, but went.
    280 x 2 felt good. I had a spotter here, but didn't need him. #2 went up fine, but #3 would have been pretty questionable. 2 reps was good enough, considering the jump in weight this time around.

Next time around, I think I will try to mimic my previous strategy with 265, where I up the reps by one each week until nearing 5 reps for the sets and then increasing the weight on following week. If this trend continues as it has, this would put me at sets of 4 reps with the 280 and then upon the ability to do sets of 5, I would increase to 295 and drop back down to sets of 3. Keep in mind that 295 was my 1RM only about 6 weeks ago. I would extrapolate that to be approximately a 20-30 lb increase in strength at the 1RM level.

The rest of the workout went surprisingly well, considering my lack of food intake. Good pump. High rep flyes and dips to finish off chest, and bis/tris took a beating after that.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 06-13-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the cramping sounds like a great session.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't bore you with a long report, but I did a bench workout that nearly mirrored the last one. I might have gone for a 4th rep on the first set if I had a spotter, but I didn't Overall, though, the weight felt very good, stable, and under control.

My shoulder was feeling pretty good today, too. I hesitantly say that there is a bit of healing going on with it, but it is definitely feeling better in the last few days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I toyed with the idea of a bench workout today, but seeing as I had done DLs, Back, and Delts yesterday, I wasn't sure how well it would go. Turns out... not so well. lol. Everything felt heavy and I stopped at 275 for a single. Could have done more weight or more reps, but not both, so I called it a day on benches and did some flyes and some dips. I'll come back stronger later and do what I gotta do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here I am reviving another thread, 5 months later. LOL.

I have been doing only DB bench for the last 3 months or so (and there was a 2 month break from training prior to this) and I have worked up to sets of 8 with the 120s, which is where the dumbell rack stops. So this limits my ability to continue going heavy with this movement. I work chest twice a week, and usually do 120s on Monday and higher reps with the 100s on Thursday, but now that I'm running out of dumbells, I have decided to embrace the barbell again, once a week.

I started tonight, and it went pretty well. I was reminded how very different the DB and BB bench are from each other.

Bar x 20
    95 x 10
    135 x 8
    185 x 6
    225 x 3 3 seconds down, pause, and up
    275 x 1 3 seconds down, pause, and up
    300 x 1 3 seconds down, pause, and up

300 went up smooth, but I had to work. And my lumbar cramped up, so I stretched it out for a bit, and dropped to 225 for a set of 6.

My wife kept calling and interrupting the workout, so I finally ended up cutting it short, even though I had 2 more chest movements and some arms to do. I'll have to add arms to tomorrow's workout, I guess.

I notice my front delts and tricep definitely got a workout tonight, but no painful twinges in my shoulder -- Yay!

Sorry, no video tonight. Too distracted with the multiple phone calls and wanting to throttle my wife. Maybe next week if someone is around to do that.