User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doctor said to not even touch the gym until I see my ortho and they can better see the extent of the damage. I'm not in a cast, but the fingers are wrapped and I can't use them to type. The ends are still open wounds because the machine cut/ripped the flesh, so it isn't a simple matter of stitching them up. The ortho will end up having to amputate some of the finger to close it up.

It also crushed the bone at the top of the fingers, and they removed it at the ER, so the remaining flesh above the top knuckle has no structure (no bone or finger nail). The fingers will be usable once everything is operated on and closed up, but for now they are just a mess.

I'm thinking that I'm just going to suck it up and take some time off, maybe hit the legs once every 7-10 days just so I don't feel bad. I think my biggest fear is not getting back into it because I have no timeline for when I'll get fixed. My appointment for a consultation with the ortho is still 5 days away, making it a good 3 weeks after the initial injury. Years ago, I had really been into it, and just dropped off one day and didn't get back into it for a year. I really lost a lot of strength during that time and got fat. It just scares me that it could happen again.

Such is life though, just makes it more interesting I guess.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. These times happen. I've had countless periods of time off. Injuries too numerous to count, illnesses, ungodly work hours... all of those have taken me from the gym for extended periods. But I eventually make it back. The iron bug never really goes away. It just hibernates occasionally. Stay connected in here and with other gym-oriented people and that helps you return back to the gym rather than forgetting all about it.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    My doctor said to not even touch the gym until I see my ortho and they can better see the extent of the damage. I'm not in a cast, but the fingers are wrapped and I can't use them to type. The ends are still open wounds because the machine cut/ripped the flesh, so it isn't a simple matter of stitching them up. The ortho will end up having to amputate some of the finger to close it up.

It also crushed the bone at the top of the fingers, and they removed it at the ER, so the remaining flesh above the top knuckle has no structure (no bone or finger nail). The fingers will be usable once everything is operated on and closed up, but for now they are just a mess.

I'm thinking that I'm just going to suck it up and take some time off, maybe hit the legs once every 7-10 days just so I don't feel bad. I think my biggest fear is not getting back into it because I have no timeline for when I'll get fixed. My appointment for a consultation with the ortho is still 5 days away, making it a good 3 weeks after the initial injury. Years ago, I had really been into it, and just dropped off one day and didn't get back into it for a year. I really lost a lot of strength during that time and got fat. It just scares me that it could happen again.

sorry to hear, buddy. hopefully, your acknowledgement will serve as extra motivation for you not to let it go once you're able to hit it again. all the best
    https://www.facebook.com/pklima.fitness

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    interesting is one way to put it.....
    Like others have said this is just one of those unexpected events that throws a monkey wrench into the gears of our plans, the important thing to do is not lose focus. You could use this time to work on your diet and cardio.
    good luck.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxiv View Post
    interesting is one way to put it.....
    Like others have said this is just one of those unexpected events that throws a monkey wrench into the gears of our plans, the important thing to do is not lose focus. You could use this time to work on your diet and cardio.
    good luck.
    X2

When my leg was broken and I had a junk ankle I switched up my diet and did all I could be while I was out and I'm very glad I did that because I never let myself get out of the zone.