User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    He's old enough to start training. Starting Strength by Rippetoe would be a great place to start.
    I second this. It's the first and best book I've run across with a compelling account of the mechanics for anyone who wants or needs to have an explanation that they can sort through themselves as a supplement/alternative to hearing it from a "trainer", who these days may or may not know what they are talking about. I recently gave my original copy to a very good friend's 15 year old daughter, who has decided she is a boy, and she is eating it up along with the weights.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely get Starting Strength. Also remember this rehab protocol for injuries:

Bill Starrā€™s Rehab Protocol Strength Training Blog

Bill starr Rehab

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teenagers today need something like weight training or martial arts, something that is about growth and self-discovery. there is no lies when it comes to squatting or pressing, either you can or cannot. think arnold said something like this. training will focus the mind on the internal as much as the external, which is good. it will lead to discipline and self-respect (ideal case scenario). going out drinking or driving cheaply modded cars, while fun, doesn't really contribute much to their development as human beings

I am very glad I discovered weight training. without getting too personal, it has gotten me through some very dark days. days when i thought i didn't think i'd be able to carry on. but always, there was the iron, solid and reliable. and as i came up out of a max effort squat the weight of the world didn't seem so much anymore.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Routine for a young boy 15

Quote Originally Posted by pman42 View Post
    Teenagers today need something like weight training or martial arts, something that is about growth and self-discovery. there is no lies when it comes to squatting or pressing, either you can or cannot. think arnold said something like this. training will focus the mind on the internal as much as the external, which is good. it will lead to discipline and self-respect (ideal case scenario). going out drinking or driving cheaply modded cars, while fun, doesn't really contribute much to their development as human beings

I am very glad I discovered weight training. without getting too personal, it has gotten me through some very dark days. days when i thought i didn't think i'd be able to carry on. but always, there was the iron, solid and reliable. and as i came up out of a max effort squat the weight of the world didn't seem so much anymore.
    So much truth here, and I can identify with it on multiple levels.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree that the weights helped keep me sane and happy in the times where my life was crumbling.