User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 Fat Bill Dwyer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    So then we have most saying pull ups and some saying pull downs. Interesting. There has to be some difference between the two. What confuses me is that If I did the same amount of weight on the lat pull down as I do with pull ups (210lbs) I wouldn't be able to do as many pull downs as I could do pull ups with the same weight. This is what I can't get my head around.

I think this might be because of excercise specificity. You get good at what you train properly. Maybe you do really good pull-downs and have adapted to them well. Also pull-downs practically beg to be "cheated" on. Not that this is a bad thing, just saying you can get the bar down using muscles you couldn't use to get chest up on a pull-up.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say pull-ups, but I do both on back day. I start my routine off with 2 warm up sets @ 15, wide grip, then move onto weighted pull-ups with 50#s on my belt (5x8), I'm 200#s. I do 3 ultra wide, then the last 2-3 sets will be with a little more narrow grip. I go all the way down, pause, then come back up.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lat pull downs vs pull ups

Though these two exercises look very similar, they are two very different exercises and hit the back differently. Try an experiment: do a workout with 10 sets of pullups only. Note the way your lats feel your traps feel and your shoulders feel. On the next workout, do 10 sets of pull downs only. You will feel that this exercise hits the lats traps and shoulders all differently than pull ups. Both the angle of approach, and the angle of completion are very different in the two exercises.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 05-21-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burly
    I've done just that before and your spot on where I felt the difference and that's why I do both.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Though these two exercises look very similar, they are two very different exercises and hit the back differently. Try an experiment: do a workout with 10 sets of pullups only. Note the way your lats feel your traps feel and your shoulders feel. On the next workout, do 10 sets of pull downs only. You will feel that this exercise hits the lats traps and shoulders all differently than pull ups. Both the angle of approach, and the angle of completion are very different in the two exercises.
    So then it would be a safe assumption that if you wanted full and complete back development, including them both into your routine would be wise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lat pull downs vs pull ups

Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    So then it would be a safe assumption that if you wanted full and complete back development, including them both into your routine would be wise.
    Full and complete back development is going to take a lot more than two movements. Sure, you can do both movements, though you wouldn't have to do them both every week. Some months I do nothing but variations of rowing exercises and the next month I get back to pull ups/downs. I think variation is key when it comes to lat/trap development as there are so many angles to hit it from.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 05-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will do some sort of row be it single db, or seated, hands close or wide, etc....pull up or down, and rack pulls or deads every week for back. Variations of all 3 with pre ex exercises like maybe an underhand lat pull down then overhand grip, or pull overs then pull ups, etc.... but I will have some form of those 3 movements every week for back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    I will do some sort of row be it single db, or seated, hands close or wide, etc....pull up or down, and rack pulls or deads every week for back. Variations of all 3 with pre ex exercises like maybe an underhand lat pull down then overhand grip, or pull overs then pull ups, etc.... but I will have some form of those 3 movements every week for back
    Before I started my deadlifting again, I typically would do a month where I started with rows and finished with pulldowns and then the next month would start with pulldowns and finish with rows. Then some months I want to concentrate specifically on back thickness, for instance, and just do a whole workout of rowing movements for a month. Now that I'm deadlifting, I don't have anything left in my lower back to do rows and pulldowns are uncomfortable, so pullups it is. I get a lot of lower lat and rear/upper trap work from the deadlift, so the pullup provides stretch, scapular rotation, and some upper/outer lat work.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Full and complete back development is going to take a lot more than two movements. Sure, you can do both movements, though you wouldn't have to do them both every week. Some months I do nothing but variations of rowing exercises and the next month I get back to pull ups/downs. I think variation is key when it comes to lat/trap development as there are so many angles to hit it from.
    Lol....Maybe I should have been more clear. What I should have said was that in order to achieve full development, pull ups and pull downs should be done along with my other movements. Wouldn't it be nice if those two movements were all you needed....

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some months I do nothing but variations of rowing exercises and the next month I get back to pull ups/downs. I think variation is key when it comes to lat/trap development as there are so many angles to hit it from.
    In regards to this, don't the other areas of your back kind of.....stagnate if you don't work them for a whole month? Or do the other exercises use the muscles enough to compensate? I'd be paranoid that I wasn't getting a "full work out" if I just focused on rows and no pull downs or vice versa.