User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Older Dudes / Rant

I didn't get into serious weights until I was older. Feeling pretty good now, and guys like Sperwer are an inspiration.
    Have to laugh when Burly describes himself as older, though. Ain't seen nothing yet, bud, LOL.

Gains are much harder to accomplish, (I guess), and cutting is much harder, but with a little 'help', progress can be obtained.

One of the main obstacles is that other people find it hard to accept that you are looking good, and younger than most people your age. This really pisses me off. I had some health issues that have pretty much cleared up since I've been working out, (5 years seriously) and I'm getting grief because I look good?

Anyway, if there's any message in this, it's just to stick to your own beliefs, whatever any one says.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Turbo6GN's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post
    I didn't get into serious weights until I was older. Feeling pretty good now, and guys like Sperwer are an inspiration.
    Have to laugh when Burly describes himself as older, though. Ain't seen nothing yet, bud, LOL.

Gains are much harder to accomplish, (I guess), and cutting is much harder, but with a little 'help', progress can be obtained.

One of the main obstacles is that other people find it hard to accept that you are looking good, and younger than most people your age. This really pisses me off. I had some health issues that have pretty much cleared up since I've been working out, (5 years seriously) and I'm getting grief because I look good?

Anyway, if there's any message in this, it's just to stick to your own beliefs, whatever any one says.
    No, it's true. You are definitely a minority if you're in any kind of shape over age 40, let alone have visible muscles. I'm 39 this August so I suppose I'm on the verge...lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember 39, sort of. LOL

Spent a good deal of my life working in the music industry. Rock bands are pretty unhealthy, and there's lot's of casualties, but as with everything, you make your choice, and thank FK for that!

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why it bothers you so much. I'm 46(47 in 2.5 months) and (SOME) people look at me funny when I tell them my oldest son is a senior in college. I see you were in the music business. With all the hard drinking/smoking that happens(not saying you partook of any haha) for you to still look good, you should be proud. I see some of my old classmates that partied hard and it shows on their face and body. I would rather be 47 and look 37 than to be 37 and look 50. If nothing else when someone gets under your skin, you should tell them "yeah I take care of myself... try it you might look better also" Ouch!
    Last edited by machdaddy; 05-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't give others the power over you. I learned this lesson with my mother in law, her opinion means nothing to me-really pisses her off (yes!) I can literally look someone in the eye and say too fucking bad for you isn't it? Once you are able to not let other's opinions and words influence your mood and attitude, you can begin to achieve personal harmony and peace. they own their thoughts

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    don't give others the power over you. I learned this lesson with my mother in law, her opinion means nothing to me-really pisses her off (yes!) I can literally look someone in the eye and say too fucking bad for you isn't it? Once you are able to not let other's opinions and words influence your mood and attitude, you can begin to achieve personal harmony and peace. they own their thoughts
    Though my mother-in-law has never pissed me off (i've only been married 1+ year), I can agree with OD here. I have the same take on not letting someone's jealousy, pessimism, or negativity bother me. I'm only 28, but I can give 2 shits if someone doesn't like me, like what I do, or like my beliefs. I am who I am, and no one will change that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't really bother me that much, just wanted to make a point.

I think that most people seem to accept that it's normal to be out of shape when you're older, and
    when an older person is in good shape it's hard for them to handle. If roids get mentioned, then they
    have some ammunition, so I always give credit to creatine for my gains.

I remember reading how animals would sort of know when the time was right for them to die, and this
    process would take about two weeks, where the body would basically shut down.

That's how I want to go, not ten or more years of bad health supported by prescription drugs.

Basically, live life to the full, then die.

BTW I'm not 'that' old, whatever that means

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I see what you're saying, it's just a pain when one's immediate family are so oblivious about their own health and also judgemental.
    Pretty crazy, in fact.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually verbalize when people are like that. I'll say things, as uncomfortable as they may be-but true, "wow, that's pretty judgmental, did you get a new appointment I don't know about?" Or, "I don't recall asking your opinion, when I want it I will ask though, thank you." Those statements if you are polite about it are just being assertive and totally within your rights to ask or say. The mother in law one day actually asked me how much fish oil I took, I told her then she ripped on me for spending so much money lmfffffffao! so calmly, I asked her what she thought was a better use of cash, spending $14 on a bottle of wine every day, or $25/month on fish oil for my health. She didn't answer, so I pushed and said if you want to talk to me about my life and health, and preach how I should be acting, not that you have the right to do so cause you're not my mother and even my mother knows better at my age lol, you had better first better ask to see if your opinion is welcomed. I'm sorry but I won't be told how to eat by someone who spends 20x what I do on fish oil per week on booze. In the future I'd rather not discuss my health, thank you. so,,,,, we smile when she comes over, I go in the garage lol, and then we smile when she leaves. A person who wants to dictate to me is not worth having in my life. she's my wife's mother and that's it. Stand up for wwho you are, what you believe, tell others to shut the fuck up (in so many words) and mind their own business. No need to be around people like that, rid your life of them.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post
    Doesn't really bother me that much, just wanted to make a point.

I think that most people seem to accept that it's normal to be out of shape when you're older, and
    when an older person is in good shape it's hard for them to handle. If roids get mentioned, then they
    have some ammunition, so I always give credit to creatine for my gains.

I remember reading how animals would sort of know when the time was right for them to die, and this
    process would take about two weeks, where the body would basically shut down.

That's how I want to go, not ten or more years of bad health supported by prescription drugs.

Basically, live life to the full, then die.

BTW I'm not 'that' old, whatever that means
    Creatine, grassfed beef, and all the eggs I eat!