Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Size or Strength?

Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    I follow the conjugate method for the most part. I still do higher reps on my accessory lifts. I work on Speed (Dynamic effort) and Maximal effort work throughout the week.
    I'm not sure if its the same, but as of late, I've been working on the speed of my reps on my accessory work. I have an idea of the reps I want to hit but not sets. I lift the weight as fast as possible, and when my rep slows, the set is over. My arm measurements have been improving and strength seems to be moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather lift for size, size isn't the only thing though. I don't want to be one of these guys that are huge but still have a belly or are big but don't look in shape. Theres a fine line there. So size within reason of still having a pleasing physique. Plus building your physique could be fun with all the different options you have in terms of routine and movements you could do. It's like building a puzzle.

Strength training was just too boring for me. It felt very redundent and as if I was chained to the big 3 lifts.

Plus shaping the body always stays with you in and out of the gym, sort of a way to show your hard work. The strength just stays at the gym.
    Last edited by sandman; 05-28-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 WesleyInman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me I have found they are two different things..extreme wise...

When I compete in Strongman or PLing, or Highland Games, I have to keep my reps under 5 for every exercise to get optimal results. Even small muscle groups I am just hitting as heavy as humanly possible for 5 reps..I don't train too much for Singles/Doubles, even though it would help me in PLing...I never take it overly serious...But I think if you want a record or certain goal then you have to.

For BBing, I train higher reps, moderate weights. Like on squats my legs get huge when I do sets of 20 and do 1-2x per week but after a few months of this training, my overall heavy strength on squats comes down...My conditioning goes up. Likewise biceps and traps i train 2-3x per week reps of 20+ and they get huge but weaker overall.

So I would argue if you stayed moderate weights and moderate reps you could get a combination of both..but not optimal Strength, nor optimal Size. I'd say you have to choose one if you want to be the biggest or the strongest..but if you just want to look good and be strong,do both

I am a firm believe that how you train your body reps wise has everything to do with your bodies current performance.

For example..I have been training for strength only for 2 years...I can hit 600+ for a few strong reps easily on squat..but if you ask me to do 225x25+..im breathing heavy, legs cramping, struggling to do more then that, etc..Mind you I remember doing 225 for reps of 40-50 np...in my bodybuilding days. And I would struggle to hit 500 for a few reps. Go figure.
    National Sponsored Lightweight Strongman Competitor
    Prescription Nutrition Athlete and TEAM REP

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Fat Bill Dwyer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm mainly lifting for strength right now. I do it because I've noticed that the high rep range just isn't producing results for me anymore. This turd is thoroughly polished, and needs a bit more pressure to make a diamond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyInman View Post
    For me I have found they are two different things..extreme wise...

When I compete in Strongman or PLing, or Highland Games, I have to keep my reps under 5 for every exercise to get optimal results. Even small muscle groups I am just hitting as heavy as humanly possible for 5 reps..I don't train too much for Singles/Doubles, even though it would help me in PLing...I never take it overly serious...But I think if you want a record or certain goal then you have to.

For BBing, I train higher reps, moderate weights. Like on squats my legs get huge when I do sets of 20 and do 1-2x per week but after a few months of this training, my overall heavy strength on squats comes down...My conditioning goes up. Likewise biceps and traps i train 2-3x per week reps of 20+ and they get huge but weaker overall.

So I would argue if you stayed moderate weights and moderate reps you could get a combination of both..but not optimal Strength, nor optimal Size. I'd say you have to choose one if you want to be the biggest or the strongest..but if you just want to look good and be strong,do both

I am a firm believe that how you train your body reps wise has everything to do with your bodies current performance.

For example..I have been training for strength only for 2 years...I can hit 600+ for a few strong reps easily on squat..but if you ask me to do 225x25+..im breathing heavy, legs cramping, struggling to do more then that, etc..Mind you I remember doing 225 for reps of 40-50 np...in my bodybuilding days. And I would struggle to hit 500 for a few reps. Go figure.
    What do you consider moderate reps? 20 reps are extremely high for some. It get discussed at the gym and some people think that 12 reps is high reps.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    I'm not sure if its the same, but as of late, I've been working on the speed of my reps on my accessory work. I have an idea of the reps I want to hit but not sets. I lift the weight as fast as possible, and when my rep slows, the set is over. My arm measurements have been improving and strength seems to be moving.
    It's not the same. For DE days, say on box squats, I'll do about 45-55% of my max but I'll add bands. Then I'll perform 10 sets of 2 or 3 reps with as much explosion as possible. Same goes for deadlifts, and bench. I usually perform my major (first) lift like this, then the rest is accessory work with reps ranging from 8-12 with perfect form and a less explosive movement.