User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burly Decides to Squat Again...

Ok, this is the 3rd of 3 threads about me getting back to the "Big 3" powerlifts.

I waited a while to start this thread because of a few reasons. My work schedule when I started back to the gym was insane and I really couldn't make it to the gym more than twice (sometimes once) a week. Partly because of my schedule, my recovery had to be taken into consideration, and squats generally take a lot out of me. I didn't think my body could keep up. My legs tend to grow quicker than other body parts, so I was never worried that my upper body would get too far ahead. Probably an additional delay was fear. I tore my right quadricep in the muscle belly almost 2 years ago, and leg work has not been pursued as readily as it used to be. Additionally, my knees are not in the best of shape. Some days they hurt, other days they perform better. They click and snap all the time. I'm thinking thats not a good thing, but so far they are holding together. :-)

Today I visited the altar of the squat rack. It felt like home. Almost. It was more like when you return home and realize nobody cleaned up your mess while you were gone. lol. It has been a long time since I had any real weight on my back-- probably right before I got real sick and was unable to work out for months, which is nearly a year ago.

I don't know if any of you have this happen, but after a layoff from the gym, my legs cramp up on the first couple weeks back. None of my other muscle groups do this, but strangely, glutes, hams, quads and the other surrounding muscles (like the sartorius, etc.) start cramping even after a warmup set. Today was no different, but I did expect it.

For the record, I squat well below parallel and my stance is approximately shoulder width.

Bar x 20 felt like it wanted to cramp at end of set
    95 x 12 started cramping, but walked/stretched to keep it looser
    135 x 6 cramping more after the set, but the set went well.
    185 x 6 again with the cramping, but during the set, the first rep seems to loosen things up and I don't mess with it until after the set.
    225 x 6 same as above
    275 x 6 set started to feel like there was some weight on my back, finally. By end of set, cramps were worse.

I considered going to 315 and I feel pretty confident I could have knocked out 6, but they would have been tough. I really didn't want to take the risk of an injury on my first day back. That would have made for a very short thread!

I could barely walk because of the cramping, but I hobbled over to the back hyperextension bench and did three high rep sets and stretched out my back before/between each set. I finished out the workout with calf raises.

I hope to stay healthy and injury free and continue this log for as long as it makes sense. Since I won't update this more than once a week, feel free to use this thread for "All things related to the Squat".
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for a bit of background, the heaviest I remember squatting was about 465 for sets of somewhere between 8 and 12 reps. I never maxed out, that I recall. I also used to do front squats with 315-365 for 8-12 reps. After going heavy, I used to lighten the weight and do 315 for 15-20 reps, or sometimes 225 for 50 reps. These numbers were happening for me around age 19 or 20... 23 or 24 years ago.

I don't know where this thread will lead and how my body will hold up, but I am looking to build additional "functional strength" in my hips and thighs (and core). I'll be working with the "numbers" that I start conquering in order to project future weeks and plan the workout accordingly. I have no plans to do a true 1RM in the squat. Since I have no plans to compete, I think it would be an unnecessary risk for injury, but I am open to discussing the advantages/disadvantages.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just think of how tight your glutes will get. Spandex pants, here we come!

Seriously though, squatting is awesome and I'm glad to see you are willing to give it another go.

Just curious about your methods. Do you just let the bar lay across your shoulders/back like it is, or do you put some sort of pad/wrap on it? I see lots of people at the gym wrapping the bar with a towel.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Just think of how tight your glutes will get. Spandex pants, here we come!

Seriously though, squatting is awesome and I'm glad to see you are willing to give it another go.

Just curious about your methods. Do you just let the bar lay across your shoulders/back like it is, or do you put some sort of pad/wrap on it? I see lots of people at the gym wrapping the bar with a towel.
    We call those pads "sissy pads" where I come from. lol. I wouldn't be seen with one of those on my squat bar.

I really always loved the squat simply because it was such a challenging lift to me. I did a lot of the high rep squatting after reading about Tom Platz's protocol for leg work. There's a "zone" you have to enter during that lift in order to go past rep 15 and I found it nearly addictive to get into that state of mind.

As far as the spandex... well, I lived through the 80s when we DID wear spandex in the gym. It is still a black mark in fashion history... and my own workout history. haha.

Oh, I do have one concern I didn't mention above... Well, I've been recomping a bit and had to drop from 34s to 32s in jeans... I am a bit concerned that the squats will fill out the glutes (and legs) enough to require new pants, yet again. I know some of you would see that as a good thing, I used to as well. But my body size and shape has yo-yo'd a lot over the years and I really don't want to buy new jeans to replace the ones I bought 6 weeks ago. Oh well. Time will tell what this old body will transform into.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Dcabedo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for a bit of background, the heaviest I remember squatting was about 465 for sets of somewhere between 8 and 12 reps. I never maxed out, that I recall. I also used to do front squats with 315-365 for 8-12 reps. After going heavy, I used to lighten the weight and do 315 for 15-20 reps, or sometimes 225 for 50 reps. These numbers were happening for me around age 19 or 20

Man I am way behind you when you were my age...pretty upset with myself right now...haha
    "Powerlifting is a manifestation of my hatred for humanity."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: Burly Decides to Squat Again...

Quote Originally Posted by Dcabedo View Post
    Man I am way behind you when you were my age...pretty upset with myself right now...haha
    Naw, only compare you to you. Keep in mind that by the time I was putting up those numbers, I had been training seriously for 5-6 years and had packed about 100 lbs onto my previously skinny frame.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Ok, this is the 3rd of 3 threads about me getting back to the "Big 3" powerlifts.
    AT this rate, I'm expecting the "Burly Decides to Root Again" thread real soon.

Seriously, great news about your getting back to squatting and getting back into the life in general. ANd those numbers are vey inspiring. Nice work.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update. My legs were in a lot of pain last night and the DOMS was in full force by this morning. I could barely drag my body off the couch (I sleep better and snore less than in the bed).

1000mg of ibuprofen, loads of caffeine, and I hobbled to the truck. It has a small lift on it, so actually climbing in was painfully challenging.

The whole day I was dragging tail. Energy reserves had been zapped by a combination of the workout and my body trying to heal itself. I only began to feel better this evening.

Needless to say, today was not a workout day. It was a recuperation day. I expect tomorrow to be the same and be well rested for Monday's workout.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Quick update. My legs were in a lot of pain last night and the DOMS was in full force by this morning. I could barely drag my body off the couch (I sleep better and snore less than in the bed).

1000mg of ibuprofen, loads of caffeine, and I hobbled to the truck. It has a small lift on it, so actually climbing in was painfully challenging.

The whole day I was dragging tail. Energy reserves had been zapped by a combination of the workout and my body trying to heal itself. I only began to feel better this evening.

Needless to say, today was not a workout day. It was a recuperation day. I expect tomorrow to be the same and be well rested for Monday's workout.
    Glad you're back to the Holy place of the squat rack! It's def my Holy Zen place, I go into some sort of trance when I get into the zone... My woman freaks that i just walk around like a bull staring at the ground, breathing hard, and talking to myself. Either way, those front squat numbers of your younger years are amazing! I can barely do 225 for sets of 6 now... I've NEVER been a good front squatter, but I'm going to make this a new goal of mine; get front squat numbers up! My quads and core were sore for about 4 full days after last weeks leg workout. I can hit 545 on back squats, but only 225 on front... COME ON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    Glad you're back to the Holy place of the squat rack! It's def my Holy Zen place, I go into some sort of trance when I get into the zone... My woman freaks that i just walk around like a bull staring at the ground, breathing hard, and talking to myself. Either way, those front squat numbers of your younger years are amazing! I can barely do 225 for sets of 6 now... I've NEVER been a good front squatter, but I'm going to make this a new goal of mine; get front squat numbers up! My quads and core were sore for about 4 full days after last weeks leg workout. I can hit 545 on back squats, but only 225 on front... COME ON!
    Front squats rely on quads much more than hips and the rest of the thigh, which explains why some do better with it than others. My hip/glute region was never terribly strong, but my quads always have been.