0 Thread(s)
    Some good info in this thread.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Jelisej's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Makes me wonder why Armour thyroid is not used as a more standard treatment.
    It has too much T3 compared to T4 (for majority of folks), so what people do they combine Armour thyroid with some T4.
    Also some people complain about inconsistency, so for some people who are sensitive find it hard to dose. Most of doctors avoid it for these reasons.
    Combining with T4 works fine for majority of folks, also some say that it has advantage over synthetic drugs as it contains T2 and T1m though some endos say that brain can convert synthetic ones, I think it goes T4>T3>T2>T1

Other product similar is natural sources raw thyroid, which has a good reputation but is not good with folks with hashimoto.
    Last edited by Jelisej; 06-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    I'm actually going to have to research pretty thoroughly and print off some info for my doc. likely she is not up on either of them or else she'd already be prescribing them to me.

and JJ every time I see your avi I think of the rock!
    I love rock.

Check out this site and show it to your doc:
    Stop the Thyroid Madness - Hypothyroidism and thyroid mistreatment
    It has a lot of good info, maybe they are pushing T3 bit too much- but other than that I would say lot of decent info, most of things is confirmed "in a field".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Optimising thyroid naturaly

1. Preload selenium for couple of weeks up to 400 mcg
    2. Add iodine* (lugol has a good reputation and iodoral is not bad) not sure about max dosage
    3.Add l-tyrosine (mind you that l-tyrosine can convert to dopamine and also norepinephrine, and if it goes too much to norepinephrine person may feel jittery, restless) 1-2 grams
    4. Also add Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5’-phosphate) 100mcg
    5. Some say its good to add Tryptophan (up to 2gr)- at night to "calm down" if there are issues from l-tyrosine

Generaly people take iodine well, but people with hashimoto have an issues, but apparently if one is preloading selenium then there should be no problem- I cannot confirm this, anyway here is an article by Jeffrey Dach who also claims that preloading selenium prevents issues with iodine:
    Jeffrey Dach MD Bio-Identical Hormone Blog: Iodine is Safe and Effective by Jeffrey Dach MD

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jelisej again. Too bad we couldn't buy you a lap dance jj,

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I was under the impression that once a person went on thyroid meds it was hard to discontinue them. Jelisej, you're saying that the thyroid responds well to "topping up" without suppressing it. Mind if I ask where you got this from?

iodine is kinda a weird one. I was told by one of my teachers, an ND, that over 800mcg a day can suppress thyroid function. yet many people around the world routinely consume WAY over this amount from seaweeds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pman42 View Post
    Hmm, I was under the impression that once a person went on thyroid meds it was hard to discontinue them. Jelisej, you're saying that the thyroid responds well to "topping up" without suppressing it. Mind if I ask where you got this from?

iodine is kinda a weird one. I was told by one of my teachers, an ND, that over 800mcg a day can suppress thyroid function. yet many people around the world routinely consume WAY over this amount from seaweeds.
    I've seen some bloodworks, plus personal experience- my thyroid was sluggish so I was doing some "tests"- I used 25mg of T3 and 50mg of T4, I did not do bloods after, but going by the symptoms- after cesation I felt it for 3 days after that situation returned to "normal".
    But dont get wrong idea- using T3 when you dont need it is asking for trouble, and using it for losing weight is double edge sword.

Also there were some research somewhere about people who were (wrongly) put on thyroid meds and after years being on meds they thyroid function was restored back to normal.

99.99% of thyroid diseases is caused by auto-immune diseases, basicaly our own body attacks thyroid and there are no known cures for that, it can only be slowed down and symptoms alleviated- so basically thyroid treatment is for life because of those reasons.
    Last edited by Jelisej; 06-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.