User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the reason for not having carbs post workout? I often workout before midday, and would've thought that immediately post workout would be the best time?

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Jack O'Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Carb Backloading?

Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post
    What is the reason for not having carbs post workout? I often workout before midday, and would've thought that immediately post workout would be the best time?
    Yes I thought it too but CBL protocol is working according to hormones and eating carbs during the day will do a spike of insulin and this is the first thing to avoid with CBL.

ULC day is done to avoid insulin spike (only prots + fat). Carbs are used in the afternoon when our body is more insulin resistant. A training with high intensity will force tglut cells to move in order to get carbs in the muscular cells.

Eating carbs in the other time of the day will do an insulin spike too buy we are not insulin resistant in the morning. Not at all. Even the contrary.

So if you eat carbs, muscular cells will be fulled with carbs thanks to insulin but fat cells too.

In the case of CBL, this is the move of the tGlut cells which filling the muscular cells. Not the insulin. Normally eating fat is not a problem during backload.

The 2nd aim is to cut quickly the insulin spike (there is a spike with the carbs in the afternoon of course but I repeat, we are more insulin resistant). So a mix of carbs and fat 2h beforr bed is a good idea to cut spike
    - I see you're on that famous beer and mustard diet. How's that workin' out for ya?
    Col. Jack O'Neill - Stargate SG1

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill View Post
    Yes I thought it too but CBL protocol is working according to hormones and eating carbs during the day will do a spike of insulin and this is the first thing to avoid with CBL.

ULC day is done to avoid insulin spike (only prots + fat). Carbs are used in the afternoon when our body is more insulin resistant. A training with high intensity will force tglut cells to move in order to get carbs in the muscular cells.

Eating carbs in the other time of the day will do an insulin spike too buy we are not insulin resistant in the morning. Not at all. Even the contrary.

So if you eat carbs, muscular cells will be fulled with carbs thanks to insulin but fat cells too.

In the case of CBL, this is the move of the tGlut cells which filling the muscular cells. Not the insulin. Normally eating fat is not a problem during backload.

The 2nd aim is to cut quickly the insulin spike (there is a spike with the carbs in the afternoon of course but I repeat, we are more insulin resistant). So a mix of carbs and fat 2h beforr bed is a good idea to cut spike
    I guess I'll just have to try it sometime and see what it does for me. At the moment, I start sipping on 40g carbs half way through training, then a isolate shake immediately after. Next feed will be low carb, low fat, then the next meal is proteins and fats. The only problem I'm having is carb cravings after my workout, but I'm getting better at not giving in to them. Just to add that I'm only eating proteins and fats before I workout, so the only carbs I consume are intra workout, (or should be ). My cheat meals happen at the weekend, but I want to be more disciplined than I am at the moment.

Is it true that a insulin spike lasts 3-6 hours?
    Last edited by markam; 06-17-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this week i'm going to try m-t-w workouts with some moderate carb backloading and then go carb free the rest of the week and do cardio, maybe on Sunday begin a 24 hour load for the start of the week again. we'll see how it goes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post
    Is it true that a insulin spike lasts 3-6 hours?
    It depends on the kind of carbs. High GI carbs will cause a high and quick insulin spike (white bread for ex.). Low GI carbs will do the contrary and spike will last up to 6h maybe more.
    The main idea of CBL is to cut as soon as possible insulin on the night in order to burn fat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    this week i'm going to try m-t-w workouts with some moderate carb backloading and then go carb free the rest of the week and do cardio, maybe on Sunday begin a 24 hour load for the start of the week again. we'll see how it goes
    Good luck

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting my backload today.

How does this look diet wise?

Breakfast
    3 scrambled eggs
    1 slice of cheese
    Peppers+onions
    2 slices pork roll

Lunch
    Hamburger
    1 slice cheese
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    Fresh veggie

Preworkout
    All-IN

Intraworkout
    Peptopro+powder Gatorade

Postworkout
    1 scoop whey protein
    1 scoop Carboslin
    1 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup cottage cheese

Backload
    3 cups whole milk
    1 scoop whey protein
    2 slices of Pizza(home made)
    2 little Debbie snacks

Training will be at 9-10 PM so that justifies the 14g carbs intra workout. Not sure I will do the fatty carb meal preworkout like Kroger suggest though.

This all comes out to around 3000 calories which is perfect for my start of this bulk. Everything will be adjusted based on how I feel, and I will try and get my carb sources a little more cleaned up if needed. IE: home made treats instead of Littlte Debbie. White rice instead of pizza(Though this Pizza comes from a restaurant I work in and we use some of the freshest ingrediants possible. Even our Fresh Motz in made inhouse.)

May get an extra protein source in durring the bulk depending on what was for dinner with the fam that night. Chicken, pork, beef etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gain fat like a catholic priest gets herpes, so I wouldn't eat the pizza (carbs and fat) I'd eliminate all the fat post workout, but that's my body

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about it, and will adjust as I see fit. Being an insane hardgainer I put on fat about as easily as I put on muscle, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hard to avoid all the dietary fat, and I do need to get the calories in. Don't want to give up my milk either. We will see how it goes.

Directly from the book: "Don’t worry about the fat: post-training, the insulin response does not stop the after-burn effect of resistance training—the body continues burning fat for up to 36 hours."

I won't ever be fat in my life anyway. Just not build that way, but ultimately I will adjust like I said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Carb Backloading?

Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    Directly from the book: "Don’t worry about the fat: post-training, the insulin response does not stop the after-burn effect of resistance training—the body continues burning fat for up to 36 hours."

I won't ever be fat in my life anyway. Just not build that way, but ultimately I will adjust like I said.
    With my experience I can say that too much fat post workout (in the 2h window) cause fat gain even if Kiefer says the contrary. As for me I prefer now decrease fat amount. Normally fat must be taken 2h before bed (according to the book)
    - I see you're on that famous beer and mustard diet. How's that workin' out for ya?
    Col. Jack O'Neill - Stargate SG1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tell the truth Ape you just wanna hork down that PIZZA!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    I've thought about it, and will adjust as I see fit. Being an insane hardgainer I put on fat about as easily as I put on muscle, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Hard to avoid all the dietary fat, and I do need to get the calories in. Don't want to give up my milk either. We will see how it goes.