User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Body Symmetry Issues

Besides being the definition of a hard gainer(6ft 135lbs in 2009) I have some symmetry issues.

My right pec is significantly smaller than my left. It's almost completely an inner pec issue, and is quite obvious. Even more as I slowly drop body fat.

The right side of my abs as well, are much smaller. Almost to the point that as my body fat lowers, you can see my left abs but not my right.

For the pec, I've tried just dumbbellS for a period of time. Only barbell chest work, and very short lived; only right pec work.

Abs I haven't felt with and not sure I can. Time will tell as I get closer to sun 10%.

I've always been in the thought that this would correct itself as I got bigger. It hasn't.

I can't be the only one in that has dealt with this issue. I'm contemplating adding in a set of pec decs only on the right side 3 times a week. I also have thought it might be a fascia problem as sometimes my right pec feels real tight and sore for no reason. Almost as if its begging to be stretched. Pain is centered, in the inner part.

Tips? Ideas? Or just let it go.

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) USN HM 350Z's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    willing to post pics? Did you have the issues before you started lifting? What about quads and calves? any family history of neurological issues? How is your spinal alignment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe on the pics, if I get a chance but only in PM.

This is what Rodja had to say about my body issues once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Your left arm is internally rotated and your shoulders are not even. From the looks of it, your right upper trap is elevated. You'll most likely need some active release therapy (ART) and a renovated lifting program..

As far as neurological disorders, I have irregular brain activity as shown by EEG's, that resulted in petite mal seizures as a child. This has been controlled by medication, and my first and last 24 hour EEG showed no issues. This was in 2011. I'm in works of switching to a new doctor and coming off meds.
    Other than the seizures my underlying issue never really has been explained.

Quads and calfs are similarly sized by look. No measurements to make sure.
    Spinal alignment is fine as far as posture.

At 6ft and 135lbs I can't say I had enough muscle to notice these issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rodjas recomendations(I forgot about them unroll I made this thread) I will be looking into Active Release Therapy(ART) tomorrow.

Also to add: I injured my Right shoulder about 2 years ago, x-rays showed deteriorated cartilage. It hurts somewhat on bench and upright rows are rarely an option any more.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    As Rodjas recomendations(I forgot about them unroll I made this thread) I will be looking into Active Release Therapy(ART) tomorrow.

Also to add: I injured my Right shoulder about 2 years ago, x-rays showed deteriorated cartilage. It hurts somewhat on bench and upright rows are rarely an option any more.
    I've been undergoing a course of myofascial massage and chiropractic, both of which essentially involve the same or similar techniques to ART, for my shoulders and thoracic area generally, especially my left shoulder, which was badly damaged twice as a result of major blunt force trauma in serious accidents and then went untreated for decades. I also have done reformative pilates therapy. The results in 6 weeks have been truly remarkable. Just make sure you find really good providers.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course. As long as they take my insurance.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    At 6ft and 135lbs I can't say I had enough muscle to notice these issues.
    Time to bulk you up a bit, Ape!

On the symmetry issue, consider "squeezing the muscle" as you do your chest exercise. Not literally squeeze, but rather, contract it. Flex it hard during your movement. All the way up and down. You should feel a vast difference. Practice it with a very light weight before going heavier and don't expect to use your normal poundages for a bit. If you are doing it right, you should be on the verge of cramping up the muscle at the end of the set.

With the abs, do either a crunch, a roman chair situp, or a leg raise with one variation. Twist the weak side to the front and the strong side to the back. This will partially deactivate the strong side and accentuate the activation of the weak side.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 06-18-2013 at 01:17 AM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    burley, I laugh in the face of anyone who claims a hard gainer. I can remember being that small and cutting weight for wrestling. A sport I could ha e used some more strength in. That was about 45 pounds ago(well at my heaviest). I'll finish my cut/recomp lower mid 170's.

The Bulking log is coming(with pics) soon. You'll all have a hand in how I grow. Natty too. I'd like to hit 190lbs before I cycle again.

As for squeezing the muscle; I've always been a huge advocate for this myself. Mostly with pec deck of DB work, but ill make an effort to make it my primary focus on bench.

Very hard to get this issue to show in a picture. As soon as I can, I'll have a pec pic up.
    Last edited by Grape Ape; 06-18-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Fat Bill Dwyer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know people hate on the Hammer Press, but being able to isolate your lagging side could benefit you. An uneven DB press could do the same thing if you're too cool to hammer press.

When you say "inner Pec" are you talking about where it meets the sternum? You said it feels like it is "begging to be stretched" so apply a hot-pack and stretch the thing out already! Lay on a bench (or couch, or bed) with a 5 pound DB in your hand and let it hang in different positions.

Also how's your back symetry? Are you tight back there too?

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you ever considered the fact that you are just, by nature, asymmetrical? People in general aren't created perfect. It's more common then you think. Some are more asymmetrical then others.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"