Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Buying "Clean" foods and budgeting

Great suggestions, guys.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pman42 View Post
    Once you get your diet figured out (and to me the definition of "clean" is the least refined version of a food that is available) I have some ideas for you on budgeting:

o Obviously use your diner connections with wholesale suppliers. maybe you can order some foods that the diner doesn't usually stock, like egg whites, cottage cheese, etc.
    o Don't get "gamed" when shopping. a sale price at an expensive store may be worse than the regular price at another store. Learn the stores in your area and their prices. Keep a file in your phone or PDA of the foods you buy a lot of, the typical price at several stores, and the best price. then you can decide what to buy, where, and when rather than being fooled into "good deals". this is the best thing i've ever done for shopping (if needed calculate the price per oz or ml so you can compare different sizes)
    o sign up for online sales fliers if available, get the little points key fobs but never buy something just because it gives you 300 points or whatever. redeem your points (which you earn by buying only the lowest price items) on money off your purchase, never appliances or whatever, which will be massively overpriced.
    o buy dented or short-dated foods where possible
    o buy in bulk, like bulk bins or order huge bags of oats, rice, etc.
    o save money on supps by getting them vetted on this forum before buying overpriced, crappy BBing brands
    I can truly say the bolded has saved me quite a bit of money lately. I used to just shop at one store... But after examining prices at 2 different stores one saturday afternoon, I found it would be quite a bit cheaper if I bought certain things at certain store. And while buying approximately 90% of my food organic that means quite a bit of savings. I managed to get my bi monthly grocery bill from $500-$350 doing this.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, my bi-monthly grocery bill is over $1500. wife of 115 lbs eats like a horse, two teen/preteen athletic boys and me. But I don't spend $ on booze, don't have a cell phone (yeah really lol) and I argue with the satellite company for discounts on the programs or i'll bail lol. $350 bi monthly is unbelieveable, we spend near that each time we shop lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    lol, my bi-monthly grocery bill is over $1500. wife of 115 lbs eats like a horse, two teen/preteen athletic boys and me. But I don't spend $ on booze, don't have a cell phone (yeah really lol) and I argue with the satellite company for discounts on the programs or i'll bail lol. $350 bi monthly is unbelieveable, we spend near that each time we shop lol
    it's just me and the wife, and I eat like a horse. it used to be about $1000 a month, but since I've been smarter in my shopping we've managed to cut that down by approx $300/month!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Buying "Clean" foods and budgeting

I think my wife would pay someone $100 to do all the shopping for her. She hates it. I do it sometimes, but she is better at noticing how empty the fridge racks are.

For veggies and fruit, we go to a local stand that always has the freshest stuff and the prices are just as good and often better than the discount supermarkets.

We don't eat a lot of carbs in my house, so things like noodles, breads, or other grain products which are generally inexpensive to buy, almost never make it into the cart. Eggs, hamburger, ham, cheese, cottage cheese, milk are the staples... I can choke down chicken occasionally, but it's not a favorite. Too bad, because I can get frozen breasts, 8 lbs for $10 vs hamburger at $2.70/lb.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    I can choke down chicken occasionally, .
    idunno, I laughed at that, twisted...mmmmhmmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawg View Post
    idunno, I laughed at that, twisted...mmmmhmmmm
    Hahaha.. as I wrote it, it sounded funny to me too. Figured someone would comment. lol

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ my favorite chicken delivery method! chicken kinda blows lol

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't stand chicken really. Beef and pork all day. I still eat it once or twice a week. I'm always geeked when I see the guys that eat it at 6 meals a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
    I can't stand chicken really. Beef and pork all day. I still eat it once or twice a week. I'm always geeked when I see the guys that eat it at 6 meals a day.
    I love sauteed chicken, I eat it everyday at every meal with some beef also. I season it really good though. If I didn't do that I would hate it!