User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman

Long time since I posted. Yes, different screen name for security purposes. Anyways...

This is an interesting match up, but as always, i'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the fight. For me, if Anderson were to ever be upsetted, nows a good a time as any. He's not getting any younger, his opponent is full of confidence, has a great skill set, is young and full of determination.

My prediction though anyways: Anderson wins by KO in the 3rd round.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 olddawg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a prediction but it will be a good fight

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would definitely be in Andy's best interest to stay southy in the fight as Weidman's best TD entrance is the inside single, which he can't do against a southy. Dana has said that most, if not all, pros are picking Weidman, but the only ones to come public are GSP and Edgar, whom both have direct ties to Weidman and I'll take with a grain of salt.

Weidman's been out for awhile, but Andy has been as well (the "fight" against Bonnar wasn't even a challenge). On paper, Weidman is a better version of Chael in terms of athleticism, submission technique, and speed. I don't recall Weidman being rocked in his previous fights, but none of them were known for their standup (sans Hall) and definitely not on Andy's level of accuracy.

My prediction: Weidman via choke (Brabo) in 3rd round.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic - Glad to see you back with the new name.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Dcabedo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silva's gonna retire champion...
    "Powerlifting is a manifestation of my hatred for humanity."

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It would definitely be in Andy's best interest to stay southy in the fight as Weidman's best TD entrance is the inside single, which he can't do against a southy. Dana has said that most, if not all, pros are picking Weidman, but the only ones to come public are GSP and Edgar, whom both have direct ties to Weidman and I'll take with a grain of salt.

Weidman's been out for awhile, but Andy has been as well (the "fight" against Bonnar wasn't even a challenge). On paper, Weidman is a better version of Chael in terms of athleticism, submission technique, and speed. I don't recall Weidman being rocked in his previous fights, but none of them were known for their standup (sans Hall) and definitely not on Andy's level of accuracy.

My prediction: Weidman via choke (Brabo) in 3rd round.
    bold call. i find a brabo, with no gi, and in the 3rd with all that sweat, a fairly difficult sub to pull, but hey...crazier things have happened

Quote Originally Posted by Dcabedo View Post
    Silva's gonna retire champion...
    i dont see him losing at '85 either, unless he pushes it too long.
    https://www.facebook.com/pklima.fitness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longBallLima View Post
    bold call. i find a brabo, with no gi, and in the 3rd with all that sweat, a fairly difficult sub to pull, but hey...crazier things have happened
    It's actually easier to pull it off without a gi as the sweat makes it easier to drive the arm through, but the gloves can make it difficult. Part of my reasoning is that Weidman already has a tremendous front headlock choke game, a solid arm length (combined with Silva's slightish shoulders), and wrestlers are inherently made for this position.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Admit I don't know a lot about Weidman, but I found out he has a black belt under Renzo Gracie. Couple that with his wrestling, and I think the ground starts to favor him, over Silva. A. Silva enlisted Andre Galvao to help polish his ground game. It really is going to be an interesting match up, and it's so hard to bet against A. Silva, but we really could see an upset here.

If Anderson pulls out the victory, it really won't be a surprise. If Weidman pulls it off, i'll be shocked. As always, Rodja, dig your breakdowns and insight. If I were to change my prediction though, I would actually say A. Silva will pull off a tko earlier in the fight. I think Weidman will make a mistake, and Silva will make him pay and the ref will stop it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulk View Post
    Admit I don't know a lot about Weidman, but I found out he has a black belt under Renzo Gracie. Couple that with his wrestling, and I think the ground starts to favor him, over Silva. A. Silva enlisted Andre Galvao to help polish his ground game. It really is going to be an interesting match up, and it's so hard to bet against A. Silva, but we really could see an upset here.

If Anderson pulls out the victory, it really won't be a surprise. If Weidman pulls it off, i'll be shocked. As always, Rodja, dig your breakdowns and insight. If I were to change my prediction though, I would actually say A. Silva will pull off a tko earlier in the fight. I think Weidman will make a mistake, and Silva will make him pay and the ref will stop it.
    Galvao defeated Weidman in ADCC in '09, but that was with only 1 year of formal BJJ training and on points (Galvao wen ton to win the overall that year). Strikes do change the game, though, as evidenced by Galvao's fight with Woodley.

EDIT: Wrong year for Galvao; he won the overall in '11 not '09.
    Last edited by Rodja; 06-30-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's actually easier to pull it off without a gi as the sweat makes it easier to drive the arm through, but the gloves can make it difficult. Part of my reasoning is that Weidman already has a tremendous front headlock choke game, a solid arm length (combined with Silva's slightish shoulders), and wrestlers are inherently made for this position.
    Good points! My grappling is sub par, thats why. But i still think Silva takes it

Edit - thougt weidman was a brown belt
    Last edited by longBallLima; 06-30-2013 at 11:08 AM.