A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Journey off of PPI drugs for heartburn, hopefully

MY JOURNEY OFF PRILOSEC

heartburnstuff.jpg

I've made reference to my frequent heartburn problem before. For those who are unaware, I've had frequent heartburn/GERD since I was a teen-ager. I've been on proton-pump inhibitor drugs since they first became mainstream.

I've taken them every day despite knowing they aren't good for me. I always knew that they came with a risk of decreased calcium absorption, and that there's even a risk that they can INCREASE your chance of esophageal cancer when taken long term, but it wasn't until another board member pointed out to me the detriment they create for male body chemistry.

It was said to me last week that PPI drugs and acid reducers are anti-androgen and perhaps even estrogenic. That scared me enough to research it further, and I discovered that there is ample evidence to support that claim.

When it comes to my manhood, I don't play around. Nothing will motivate me to fix something faster than if you suggest to me it can mess up my sexual prowess.

Four and a half years ago, I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey after a 14-year addiction when I had a coughing fit in the middle of sex that caused me not to be able to finish. This situation isn't much different.

I found some relief from breakthrough symptoms recently by removing dairy and wheat from my diet, but I hadn't cut the cord completely on the Prilosec, and I have times when I can't stick to that diet long-term.

Bottom line is that I'm not willing to risk my testosterone and sexual function for this drug any longer.

This article, written by an MD, provided the guidelines on how to use mastic gum, DGL, enzymes and d-limonene to fix frequent heartburn. I'm following it faithfully thus far:

Eliminating Chronic Acid Reflux And Indigestion: from an ongoing series by Dr Jacob Teitelbaum MD

I started the Heartburn Free (ROH10/1,000mg d-limonene) last week while still on Prilosec, hoping to avoid the initial reflux aggravation. Yesterday I started the mastic gum 1,000mg twice daily and the DGL, with enzymes after each meal.

I did OK yesterday. I had some mild heartburn/reflux after breakfast that subsided within an hour. I did OK until after dinner. I got a little reflux at bedtime, but a couple of mastic gum capsules and another DGL calmed it right down.

Today I attempted coffee in the morning, but I don't think my stomach is up for it yet, sans acid reducer. I had some heartburn from the coffee. It went away with my second DGL lozenge. The ROH10 has caused some mild reflux, which I fully expected.

This will not be fixed in a matter of days. I understand that. It is going to be a major undertaking to overcome the rebound acid production. My pumps have been suppressed for over a decade. I fully expect to be dedicated to treating this naturally over the next two months.

I will provide some periodic updates. In the meantime, if anyone else wants to chime in with advice or suggestions, I'm all ears. Surely I'm not the only one on this board with frequent heartburn.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you've thought of this, but have you ever done an elimination diet to see how foods effect you? What you're eating is causing your issue. The longer you're off wheat and dairy, the better you'll be as well. How bout bringing your own food to places that can't accomodate you? Pain in the ass I know, but how bad do you want to be heartburn free.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    I'm sure you've thought of this, but have you ever done an elimination diet to see how foods effect you? What you're eating is causing your issue. The longer you're off wheat and dairy, the better you'll be as well. How bout bringing your own food to places that can't accomodate you? Pain in the ass I know, but how bad do you want to be heartburn free.
    My digestion underwent improvement on a carb-free diet where I'd almost entirely eliminated dairy and consumed no wheat. But, keep in mind, that was still while on the PPI drugs. I've not tested it against a PPI-drug-free body yet.

Normally, without PPI drugs, it didn't matter how I changed my diet. Even water gave me terrible acid reflux. So, if plain water is a trigger, sans Prilosec, it's hard to say what changes I need to make that will stick.

Dietary changes are probably in my best interest, but I still have the issue of getting off PPI drugs and dealing with rebound reflux as a result of acid pumps becoming overactive, initially. That's where mastic gum and DGL come in handy.

This journey won't be an easy one no matter what. It will take a comprehensive approach to fixing.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Heartburn caused by water......damn. Sounds like you have one hell of a stubborn case.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot the best aid: apple cider vinegar
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freepressright View Post
    Dietary changes are probably in my best interest, but I still have the issue of getting off PPI drugs and dealing with rebound reflux as a result of acid pumps becoming overactive, initially. That's where mastic gum and DGL come in handy.
    My stomach used to hurt all the time, it was more of an in knots than an acid problem but this may help. Have you tried eating without drinking or drinking very little? I found as I worked on chewing my stomach and intestine problems cleared up. It was just as much what I was eating as how. I cleaned it up and chewed it a little more and I felt alot better.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 JM1000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing the Ph in your stomach is too acid (which is not bad btw). Try eating higher Ph foods like Milk and veggies. It helps me from time to time but then again, It is not a big issue for me. Good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the suggestions coming. I'm going to be trying all kinds of stuff in the coming weeks to try to nail this thing down. I started with a pretty moderate case of reflux after lunch today. I took a couple of mastic gum capsules hoping that would calm it down. It really didn't. I could feel a lot of my undigested lunch coming back up the pipes.

As soon as I got home I took a couple more digestive enzymes and some ginger. It actually helped quite a bit. Things have calmed down since then, luckily.

And thanks for the reminder, Rodja. I'll go out and get some Bragg's Organic cider vinegar and see how that does me.

I have some acupuncture treatments "in the bank" with a local MD. I might ask him if there's anything it can do for me. Thank you for weighing in, everyone. I really appreciate it. This will be a fairly big ordeal and I'm hoping like hell this is my answer to get off these damn PPIs.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 JM1000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raw milk btw... 2% milk has a lower pH because of what they feed the cows

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) nate3993's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually know someone who uses raw milk to help their stomach ulcers.

Raw milk seems to have some serious stomach benefits. Def give it a try.