User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Jack O'Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Ketosis Monologues

When I was in keto with a carb refeed once a week, I waited for 2 days to get ketosis.

I checked it with ketosticks too. Very usefull

Today, I carb reload after each workout and I didn't check if I was in ketosis in the morning (fasted too)
    - I see you're on that famous beer and mustard diet. How's that workin' out for ya?
    Col. Jack O'Neill - Stargate SG1

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ketosis Monologues

Quote Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill View Post
    When I was in keto with a carb refeed once a week, I waited for 2 days to get ketosis.

I checked it with ketosticks too. Very usefull

Today, I carb reload after each workout and I didn't check if I was in ketosis in the morning (fasted too)
    Do you stay low or no carbohydrate on your non-workout days? The more I read, the more I think that I may get into a pattern of only using carbs around my workouts. As a calorie consumption and insulin management strategy it seems like the most feasible way to maintain muscle and lose fat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    Do you stay low or no carbohydrate on your non-workout days? The more I read, the more I think that I may get into a pattern of only using carbs around my workouts. As a calorie consumption and insulin management strategy it seems like the most feasible way to maintain muscle and lose fat.
    Yes this is the concept of Kiefer in Carb Back-loading.

As for me I try to reach 0g carb on off days. On workout day, I keep 0 carbs until the end of workout.

I strictly follow backloading protocol. For the moment, I can eat very much without getting fatter

It works for me
    - I see you're on that famous beer and mustard diet. How's that workin' out for ya?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ketosis Monologues

Yes this is the concept of Kiefer in Carb Back-loading.

As for me I try to reach 0g carb on off days. On workout day, I keep 0 carbs until the end of workout.

I strictly follow backloading protocol. For the moment, I can eat very much without getting fatter

It works for me
    Nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ketosis Monologues

Well Jack I inadvertently followed your technique today. I got tangled up with the goings-on around my house and missed my window to eat carbs before the workout. All I had time to do was slam my pre-workout and take some BCAA's before taking my little girl to school and going to work out. I just finished my workout and decided to go with 50 g of carbohydrate and 50 g of protein. From here on, I'll slam water and pee on sticks until I get to Ketosis.

Update:
    First keto stick: slightly different color than the control (water) keto stick at 3 hours post carb consumption.
    Last edited by Macdon1588; 11-20-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main idea of Kiefer in its protocol is to control insuline during all the day.

If no workout, insulin must stay very low all the day/night. That's why a big amount of fat (animal fats) is required. The same amount of fat than prots is actually required.

When you eat prots alone there's automatically an insuline spike which means that fat burning is stopped. To avoid that, fats are required.

However, after workout, fats must be avoided and good sources of prots are required. And carbs of course.

It's just summarized. The book is really interesting even if I find this is too expensive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ketosis Monologues

The main idea of Kiefer in its protocol is to control insuline during all the day.

If no workout, insulin must stay very low all the day/night. That's why a big amount of fat (animal fats) is required. The same amount of fat than prots is actually required.

When you eat prots alone there's automatically an insuline spike which means that fat burning is stopped. To avoid that, fats are required.

However, after workout, fats must be avoided and good sources of prots are required. And carbs of course.

It's just summarized. The book is really interesting even if I find this is too expensive
    You actually convinced me to buy the book. I read it and it's a good read. The idea of it is so far away from every thing in the main stream. That said it's not unlike the concept of lean gains so I think I'm on board with it, now I have to figure out how it works with shift work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a part in the book called "nobody's perfect" I believe.

He explains all possible differences with the original protocol : workout time different, ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ketosis Monologues

There's a part in the book called "nobody's perfect" I believe.

He explains all possible differences with the original protocol : workout time different, ...
    I got done reading that part and I think what I'll do is just have my keto days when I'm working now to keep me safe from fat accumulation and then I'll just follow the carb back loading protocol on the days that I can actually work out and I'm not at work during nights. Being as today is Turkey day, I believe I will enjoy myself and then begin the program in honest the day after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ketosis Monologues

Well I'm about a weekend to carb back loading and things are going pretty well. I feel stronger, I'm having a better time at the gym and my waist has stayed the same size, despite going pretty far overboard on the carbs post workout. The next step is to find a sweet spot my carbs and my calories I think.