Over the last month or two, I've become fairly decent at maintaining Ketosis. The gut is getting smaller,and things resembling pecs are slowly coming into focus. Things are good. However,lately, I've come obsessed with a question: Will carbs before a heavy workout day knock me out of Ketosis? If so, how long? And how many carbs? I am good at pushing myself through work outs without carbs, but let's face it, carbs make workouts easier and better. My hypothesis is that properly timed carbs before a workout will be mostly burned resulting in no bad effect on my Ketosis state.

So, here's the experiment:

At about an hour before a workout tomorrow, I am going to drink a protein shake with a half cup of carbohydrates...err I mean oatmeal. That will give 27 net carbs before the workout. Then, I'm going to bust my ass with a 30-40 minute, full body routine followed by ten to fifteen minutes of HIIT using a prowler sled. Afterward, an isopure whey shake and low carb as usual. I will monitor my urine with keto sticks to determine how thinks go. Depending on how it goes, I will escalate carbs.

So here's some questions I put before the panel: Is oatmeal the right carb? Is one hour ahead of my work out the right time? Should I do faster carbs, like bread closer to go time? Or should I wait more time?

Thoughts on the layout of the experiment are greatly appreciated and I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.