User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aesthetics Contest Discussion Thread

Unfortunately, I am now out. I have been struggling with illness since shortly after the contest began. Totally Lost 4 weeks in dec and Jan, and had to start again. But never really got any altitude. Turns out i had a bad case of deep bronchitis from mid-february. It became very "productive" from the end of the month through march. Finally went to the doc and got a fistful of meds, which cleared up most of the sputum as of last week. But yesterday i had a - thankfully brief - episode of respiratory failure. Am now hospitalized for oxygenization and deep inhalation therapy. They think i still have a large number of small masses of toxin-laden sand buried in lungs - 20 years worth of breathing the Spring yellow dust that comes out of the Gobi, picks up all the toxins from china's unscrubbed smokestacks and gets dumped in Korea and Japan. The plan is to infuse my lungs with heavy does of medicated moisture to loosen the shit up and then do intense aerobic exercise to get my body to bring it up and expel it. Sounds like fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Aesthetics Contest Discussion Thread

Oh wow. So sorry to hear of the troubles, Sperwer! We send our thoughts and prayers to you and wish you the speediest of recoveries. Please keep us updated on your condition!
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 VayneZ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea you were going through all that ordeal my friend. Hope you overcome this all soon and come back stronger out of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!

Here's the update. They woke me up @ 6 this morning for my first round of treatment. More or less immobilized me in a chair with a tube with a mouthpiece fixed in my mouth and strapped around my head. What came next was a sort of controlled drowning. The volume of moisture they were forcing in was much more than enough to induce a gag reflex - sort of what you would experience while open-water swimming if a rogue wave got you in the face just as you were catching a breath. No way to gag though given they way they had me strapped up; just had to let it happen and trust they would yank it all out if it looked like I was going to pass out. Closest thing I could compare it to was the deep water breathing apparatus in The Deep, where your lungs get filled with water, but you can still breathe because of the super-saturated oxygen content (does that really exist?). Extremely unpleasant at first and then weirdly uncomfortable. After about 20 minutes of that, and a thirty minute rest, they rigged me up in the sort of treadmill that is used to test VO2 Max and cranked it up to a pace I could barely handle for 20 minutes. Then they handed me a barf bag and we all waited. Within a few minutes I began to hack up packets of phlegm containing tiny membraneous globules each containing a grain or two of coarse sand that my body had encased in the gel-like membrane as a protective measure. Had about 5-6 bouts of that. They then offered me breakfast, but I declined in favor of a lie-down - the stress of this whole process was utterly fatiguing. I'm writing this at lunch time, and I still feel pretty knackered after basically dozing all morning. Seems to be working, though. Not looking forward to tomorrow's session, but if this is what it takes to avoid a case of emphysema, I'll continue to cowboy up.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez, sounds like water boarding.

Anyway, speedy recovery, eh.

Good luck, Sperwer!

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Aesthetics Contest Discussion Thread

Oh man, that sounds miserable. But I'm glad they diagnosed the problem and can treat it, even if it is a rough way to get better.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post
    Jeez, sounds like water boarding.

Anyway, speedy recovery, eh.

Good luck, Sperwer!
    Ha, i was waterboarded as part of SERE training before they called it that. Comparative piece of cake. Never have understood why the pansy patrol got their panties in such a twist about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 2. More of the same, but less nerve-wracking knowing what was coming. Meanwhile out the window there is a gray-yellow miasma of dust - the shit responsible for my condition - that is so thick today the gov has posted a health warning