I was listening to a podcast yesterday, I forget exactly which one it was as I listen for 8 hours a day at work, but I was introduced to the idea of 'retraining' muscles fibers.

To make a long story short, they said it was possible to retrain fast/slow twitch fibers to behave like the opposite with time. For example, doing timed sets or long negatives will encourage more of a slow twitch muscle growth and doing speed work with sub max will train fast.

I currently squat and deadlift in the 400's but notice when I move into snatch/clean my lifting numbers drop dramatically to 250 C/J and 185 snatch. I do attribute some of this to form.

My question is as follows: Assume I decide to focus on speed doing multiple sets of squats/dead at sub max 90% of the time, and only give 10% to maximal effort lifts, would it be possible to 'retrain' some slow twitch to become more explosive?

I get the idea behind speed work/max work every week a la westside which is pretty much a 50/50 split, but would it be advisable for a person who wanted to shift focus to Oly lifting to 'start over' and focus more and more on the speed aspect?