Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I just go ahead and just bulk?

Just a little backstory:
    Im 24 now and for the past 4 years have basically just had injury after injury that has made my time in the gym very on-and-off. I started lifting back when I was 13 for soccer and then freshman year of high school joined our schools olympic weight lifting team(yeah I was lucky enough to have professionals train me for 4 years) Anyways, between high school and now, Ive torn my left acl twice(soccer), tore multiple ligaments in my ankle(ex-gf+stairs=bad), and have now recovered from a torn rotator cuff(1st lifting related injury ever). Also I have a rotated hip but that doesnt effect my ability to lift.

I usually have a lot of difficulty putting on muscle unless I basically double my calories. The problem is, I'm basically skinny-fat now due to all the time off over and over again. Now that I'm 100% again and able to workout I originally wanted to cut simply because I've got a little extra chub on my midsection, but now I'm starting to think it's not even worth it, and instead just focus on getting strength and size back. Because I dont wanna be walking around at 5'11 and 145lbs if I'm back down to single digit bf%

Opinions? Figured Id try and get some advice since I know a lot of you guys were very helpful back in the PP community

Cliffs:
    multiple injuries
    went from in great to shape to skinny fat
    dont know if I should cut down and just be skinny, or bulk up anyways

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Should I just go ahead and just bulk?

Why not start back in the gym, keep your calories the same, and let the recomp happen naturally. Your muscle memory will kick in and you'll grow and the additional calorie burning will likely lean you up simultaneously. Once you get most of your muscle memory gains back, you can decide from there if cutting or bulking is the better route for you.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 11-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Why not start back in the gym, keep your calories the same, and let the recomp happen naturally. Your muscle memory will kick in and you'll grow and the additional calorie burning will likely lean you up simultaneously. Once you get most of your muscle memory gains back, you can decide from there if cutting or bulking is the better route for you.
    Ya thats what Ive been doing the last few weeks, my muscles are still sore about 3-4 days after training even with me taking 15g BCAA's intra/post workout. Maybe I'll just try and give it some more time to see how my body adjusts.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Should I just go ahead and just bulk?

Quote Originally Posted by hardestgainer View Post
    Ya thats what Ive been doing the last few weeks, my muscles are still sore about 3-4 days after training even with me taking 15g BCAA's intra/post workout. Maybe I'll just try and give it some more time to see how my body adjusts.
    I'm the "comeback kid" when it comes to training because I have had so many things interrupt my training over the years. Illness, injury, workload, family stuff, vacations, you name it. I fully understand how hard it is to come back. It generally takes me a month before I feel "on track" again, and another month before I feel as though I am making enough progress to be noticed. Everyone's body has a little different timetable upon their return to the gym, so just play it out for a bit. Use this as a time to observe different things about yourself... recovery, strength and size gains, fat loss, energy levels and endurance, etc. It may help to log or journal the experience as well. You'll get more out of the experience if you view it from a third person point of view along with your own eyes.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many calories are you eating now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    I'm the "comeback kid" when it comes to training because I have had so many things interrupt my training over the years. Illness, injury, workload, family stuff, vacations, you name it. I fully understand how hard it is to come back. It generally takes me a month before I feel "on track" again, and another month before I feel as though I am making enough progress to be noticed. Everyone's body has a little different timetable upon their return to the gym, so just play it out for a bit. Use this as a time to observe different things about yourself... recovery, strength and size gains, fat loss, energy levels and endurance, etc. It may help to log or journal the experience as well. You'll get more out of the experience if you view it from a third person point of view along with your own eyes.
    thanks for all the advice, I actually have a good habit of logging all my workouts in my phones notepad anyways so Im good at keeping track of that. Ill have to order a new caliper to help keep track of my bf% since I misplaced my old one.

Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post
    How many calories are you eating now?
    roughly 2500/day but more on days i workout due to the extra 3-4 scoops of protein I have pre and post workout. The toughest part for me when gaining weight it actually eating enough, I usually have to try and eat more calorie dense foods because I normally dont have much of an appetite. back when i was in good shape I was having to take black hole(dont even know if they still make it) to try and get more meals in the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would bump the calories up 500 or so, so around 3000-3250 per day, focus on eating clean and lifting hard and you will see results. when that stalls out, you can think about bulking and cutting.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Jelisej's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burly is spot on, which does not surprise me- when it comes to training he is one of the best, crème de la crème...
    So, hardgainer listen and do!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post
    i would bump the calories up 500 or so, so around 3000-3250 per day, focus on eating clean and lifting hard and you will see results. when that stalls out, you can think about bulking and cutting.
    Thanks, Ill bump it up some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelisej View Post
    Burly is spot on, which does not surprise me- when it comes to training he is one of the best, crème de la crème...
    So, hardgainer listen and do!
    will do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basing my recommendation on the fact that youre that sore by the way. dont want to bulk yet or anything, i think the muscle memory recomp is the best idea but if youre sore for that long you could use a tad more fuel.