User Tag List

Threaded View

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ulcerative Colitis and Physical Fitness

Where to start… First, I want to point out that this forum (along with the old PP community) has provided me with a lot of educational and helpful information. I believe the members here really offer and add to a professional and mature resource for discussing a variety of topics. I attribute a majority of my knowledge and education in the area of more advanced fitness and bodybuilding to these very sites.

I’ve been recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (UC). This is a form of Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD) where, through an autoimmune disorder, your immune system basically gets turned onto overdrive and attacks its own tissue (the colon). It is a chronic illness for which there is no cure, short of having the colon completely removed. In addition to all the great issues associated with IBD, this condition results in a variety of other wonderful effects on the body including fever, dizziness, fatigue, decreased appetite, weight loss, and dehydration to name a few. Additionally, the variety of treatments and medications (aminosalicylates, corticosteroids, immunomodulators, antibiotics, biologic therapies) can have very adverse effects on the body. The corticosteroids are a big concern of mine due to the fact they have been known to be detrimental to physical strength, health, and appearance.

I am a 31 year old male, 6', 182 lbs., about 10% bf and have had no major health issues until now. I like to think I am in above average shape. At one time, I was up to 240 lbs. and about 22% bf. I have worked feverishly over the last few years to get myself in a physical condition that I am happy and encouraged to be in. I don’t want to lose what I have worked so hard to achieve. I want to continue to improve and better myself physically and, in doing so, improve mentally, psychologically, and emotionally. However, I don’t know if this disease will hinder or prevent my progress.

My questions are to any who may be educated or experienced in this area. I want to know if an individual with this condition can realistically continue to put themselves through the intense, sometimes grueling, routines and regimens necessary to achieve the level of physical health we all strive for. I also wonder about supplementation and diet. UC is known to be agitated by certain foods and often times requires a strict diet to help maintain remission once it is achieved. Also I, like many other people, have a whole plethora of supplements I take, to which I don’t know what the effects will be regarding agitating my condition. And lastly, I’m concerned about whether I will be able to continue to utilize androgens and/or prohormones to augment my training. These compounds are known to be sometimes taxing on the body by themselves, so I wonder what the effects may be coupled with UC and the medications that may be required when “flare ups” occur. I’ve mainly stuck with DHEA based compounds (dermacrine, androseries, AMS, etc.) but I was considering possibly trying some methyls for upcoming cycles prior to this diagnosis. I plan on discussing all this at length with my doctor, but it is always helpful to hear from others who may have relevant experience or knowledge.

I apologize for the long post, but I have had a lot on my mind and this is a way for me to get a portion of it out in print and gather input. As I said earlier in the post, I respect what this community offers to people of all ages and backgrounds and believe it to be an excellent resource.
    Last edited by Strong_Guy; 07-25-2013 at 09:42 PM.