Tribulus terrestris.

Say that word on fitness forums and you'll get a breadth of opinionated feedback. People either really love it or they really hate it.

Animal studies have shown that it has positive effects on LH levels, thus having a direct and positive impact upon testosterone. Its efficacy in the human body, however, is widely debated.

A human study concluded that it really didn't have any impact upon body composition or muscle mass. But what quality of tribulus were they giving these people and how potent was it?

Most commercially available tribulus products contain between 20 and 45 percent steroidal saponins known as protodioscin. In the past I've used NOW brand Tribulus at 1,000mg 3x daily. It's inexpensive and for me, it produced benefits. Actually, I appreciate this herb very much in the proper context.

I did not slather on pounds and pounds of muscle. I did not break personal records by the dozens of pounds. But what I did find was that it provided me with extra energy, especially during workouts; a slight increase in appetite and a serious kick in the pants to my metabolism.

Tribulus leans me out. The most vascular and shredded I've ever been on a natty protocol is on tribulus. It's leaning effects have been quite remarkable.

Now, fast forward to 2014.

I ordered some Liftmode tribulus, which unlike my former go-to supplement which came in at 45-percent saponins, contains a whopping 90 percent. Included in my order was a lab report with all sorts of purity test results. Pretty cool stuff.

I started it on Monday. And like a good tribulus supplement, I picked up the energy increase (it has always been somewhat like a caffeine product to me). I've been dosing it at 500mg 3x daily to assess tolerance to it. But for under $25 shipped to my door, I got a 300 gram tub. Even at 3,000mg a day, which I plan to work up to, that's a shit load of trib for the money -- and pure trib at that.

The taste is not the most appealing thing in the world. It actually tastes like you'd cut open a bag of black tea leaves and start chewing on them. But I'm a big boy, and not everything tastes good in the quest for desirable body composition.

I've found it's easiest to take a drink of water and hold it in my mouth while 'shooting' the powder. If you try this stuff, do not mix it with food or a beverage, unless the dilution is very heavy. It's a 10 out of 10 on the bitterness scale.

I'm doing a round of P90x on the 'Mass' schedule right now. I'll report in with updates on what I feel from the tribulus as time progresses.