User Tag List

Established Member Feedback Score 0 booklifter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb OCA trial success in NASH indication - bodes well for many liver conditions

For anyone who missed the news (this is a big deal but probably didn't get great coverage in the gym), Intercept announced this morning that the FLINT trial of obeticholic acid (OCA) in NonAlcoholic SteatoHepatitis (NASH) was ended early due to overwhelmingly positive effect determined at the planned interim analysis. Aside from NASH, OCA is being developed for a number of other liver indications and this bodes well for all of them. It bodes well for the many body-builders who have already crippled their livers with oral PHs (and other stuff), and those who haven't yet but know the tremendous (side)effects of orals. To be clear, OCA isn't approved for anything or being tried specifically for dimethylitis, I just think it's a great achievement and a potential future fallback-option we should keep an eye on.
    Link to the PR: Intercept Announces NASH Primary Endpoint Met: FLINT Trial Stopped Early for Efficacy Based on Highly Statistically Significant Improvement in Liver Histology (NASDAQ:ICPT)
    Ex Scientia Virtus

Established Member Feedback Score 0 booklifter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I spoke too soon. NIH released a follow-up statement warning about cholesterol side-effects. It may still be the lesser of two evils for severe NASH patients but this certainly dampens my mood.
    Anyway, depending on how this shakes out there's always GR-MD-02 (which is less mature in development but has early signs of better fibrosis activity)
    Ex Scientia Virtus