User Tag List

New Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lat pulls to prepare for pullups

I was reading that if someone is trying to get themselves ready for pullups, they should keep do lat pulls of increasing weight. Do you think that if I could get up to 75% of my bodyweight for 10 reps, I'd be ready for pullups. That same source I was reading provided that training regimen. Just looking for input from others?

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lat pulls to prepare for pullups

Work your way up to 100% of your bodyweight so that weight-wise, pullups will be of equal intensity. However, I'd say that a strictly done pull up is harder than the same weight done on a pulldown machine.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) USN HM 350Z's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buddy pull-up to get ready for pull ups. you cannot simulate a pull up with a lat machine. Actually do the exercise. Bent Barbell rows will help you develop strength that is useful for pull ups also.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just start doing pull ups. Jump up and grab the bar and hang if you can't muscle your way up over the bar. Lower yourself down SLOWLY until you are at bottom. Rest, jump up and do it again.

Or, you can "grease the groove." If you have a pull up bar at your house, every couple of times you walk by it, hang for half the amount of time you can usually hang for. Do this every day a couple times a day and your hang time will increase. You'll also be working the exact muscles you need to do a true pull up without completely exhausting yourself. But, if doing this method, you should try and exhaust yourself once or twice a week.

You'll progress quickly doing this.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

New Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Will follow these recommendations. I'm trying to do as many difficult body weight compound exercises as possible, and pullups is supposed to be one of the best. I've thrown some hormones out of whack due to an adrenal stress brought on by doing too much cardio training for a long distance race. I'm trying to overhaul my routine and do sprinting, pullups, squats, pushups, etc. and get rid of the long distance cardio. There is also something called a "muscle up" that I've read about....ie. an overhand pullup where you pull yourself up and then actually bring yourself up further where your waist is level with the pullup bar...looks to be something pretty advanced but something to shoot for eventually.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 ExtraZeus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to start doing pull ups with my leg on a chair to help get over the bar. Then gradually moved the chair back further and further making it more difficult until I no longer needed it. Body weight movements are some of my favorite exercises, if look around on youtube you can see guys that are in incredible shape and do nothing but body weight movements on playground equipment. It's crazy!
    Good luck!
    I ain't afraid of SHIT!...except snakes.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 vince's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lat pulls to prepare for pullups

I do pull ups daily. The best way to increase your numbers are to constantly do them. It's a lot of muscle memory. About 3 months ago when I was doing upwards of 200 pull ups daily I increased from 22 to 35(dead hang and strict form). I stopped for about a month(kept my lifting regime the same) and now I'm back down to around 26. If needed, use a band or have someone assist you. Negatives also help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Feedback Score 3 (100%) BBG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z View Post
    buddy pull-up to get ready for pull ups. you cannot simulate a pull up with a lat machine. Actually do the exercise. Bent Barbell rows will help you develop strength that is useful for pull ups also.
    I totally agree. One of my lady friends couldn't do any pullups. I had her cranking out 6 in a row on her own within a month.

I just had her bring her legs up and I provided a little assistance throughout the movement for 10 reps each set. Every time she did them I'd ease up on how much I helped till she could do them on her own.
    Super not-not-moderator BBG

Need extra cash? List of "Get Paid To" sites: Make $5 a day