User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    It's been a long time since I've followed your sessions brother. Impressive numbers you're putting up! I'm glad to see your still crushing those PR. I took some time off from the PL, and started moving into Mountain Dog training, but I'm really thinking about making a come back. I just need to get back into the groove.
    I've been hitting a good stride lately and am mainly tinkering with loads and my gear right now. I'm not constantly chasing PRs anymore and am actually backing off the intensity for now. I'm still putting in maximum effort, but not going to 100% every week.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/16

Sumo (briefs only; left my suit in my wife's car)
    Worked up to 600x1
    510x5 PR

GM
    185x10
    225x10
    275x8
    295x7

Unilateral LP (weight added)/DB Shrugs
    360x15/100x15
    360x15/100x15
    360x15/100x12 (grip failed)

Standing Cable Crunches
    100x15
    120x15
    130x15
    130x15-drop-100x15

I had to train solo this session due to scheduling, but really hit it hard. Nearly tied a PR on deads and had some left in me, but didn't want to risk total failure. Once thing I have noticed is that my grip has definitely gotten better as I was struggling with 565 several months ago, but did not have that problem during this session. I honestly think the rep work at the end has paid massive dividends here and my work capacity has also increased from it.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice session man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/18

Bench
    Worked up to 455x1
    405x4x2 PR

JM Press
    135x12x3
    185x10

DB Rows
    120x10
    145x10

Today was kind of a two part session in that I used a different shirt today (Inzer double-ply Rage X) and it is completely different from my Ace. The Rage X puts a lot of the pressure on your triceps from the beginning contrasted by the Ace, which puts almost all of the pressure on the chest plate. It's only one session, so I can't give an honest evaluation of it, but it was very different for me. After I did some sets of 405 and 455 with the Inzer, I switched back to my Ace and put in some volume. After these sets, I was pretty much gassed and did lighter assistance work.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was your strength like before you started powerlifting? Looking for numbers. Like for example, your lifts now, what were they 2 years ago? I don't exactly remember when you made the shift from mma to powerlifting, it was like 2 years ago?

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rodja, do you always train bench in a shirt?
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    What was your strength like before you started powerlifting? Looking for numbers. Like for example, your lifts now, what were they 2 years ago? I don't exactly remember when you made the shift from mma to powerlifting, it was like 2 years ago?
    They're obviously much different. I believe my 1RM at the time was 335/225/425, but that was 40lbs ago, before AAS, and when I had shit for technique.

Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Rodja, do you always train bench in a shirt?
    Not always. It's usually 2-3 weeks on, 1 week off and right now is working the shirt in my new groove due to weight gain and jacking the collar down lower on my chest. Next week will be unshirted as I can tell when my legs and lower back need a break. I've said this a couple of times, but I cannot bench worth dick if I cannot get my legs underneath me.
    Last edited by Rodja; 01-19-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    There obviously much different. I believe my 1RM at the time was 335/225/425, but that was 40lbs ago, before AAS, and when I had shit for technique.

Not always. It's usually 2-3 weeks on, 1 week off and right now is working the shirt in my new groove due to weight gain and jacking the collar down lower on my chest. Next week will be unshirted as I can tell when my legs and lower back need a break. I've said this a couple of times, but I cannot bench worth dick if I cannot get my legs underneath me.
    With and without a shirt is pretty much a whole different lift. Night and day in the way it forces you into a groove. I never got too deep into it... but that was back in the day of the 1-ply Inzer. The shirts today are worlds apart from back then. Pretty amazing how much technology has gone into them, allowing, as you described above, to have a shirt that puts more emphasis on tricep vs chest plate.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never seen a bench shirt in person, but it looks like your arms are permanently sticking straight out from your body. They look like a chore to put on too. The slingshot looks like the bare mechanics of the shirt, just much simpler. I wonder if the recreational lifter could benefit from the slingshot to increase strength, or is it better left to a more focused powerlifting program?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    With and without a shirt is pretty much a whole different lift. Night and day in the way it forces you into a groove. I never got too deep into it... but that was back in the day of the 1-ply Inzer. The shirts today are worlds apart from back then. Pretty amazing how much technology has gone into them, allowing, as you described above, to have a shirt that puts more emphasis on tricep vs chest plate.
    Single-ply isn't that much different in terms of technique assuming you have PL bench technique. The first Rage X that I used was a single-ply shirt and I could feel the compression, but it didn't overly alter the path of the bar. Double-ply, on the other hand, takes a good 10s just to complete a rep and it's a movement in multiple parts.

Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    Never seen a bench shirt in person, but it looks like your arms are permanently sticking straight out from your body. They look like a chore to put on too. The slingshot looks like the bare mechanics of the shirt, just much simpler. I wonder if the recreational lifter could benefit from the slingshot to increase strength, or is it better left to a more focused powerlifting program?
    They're definitely a pain in the ass to put on properly and you generally have to readjust before sets to put it back into the groove. The Slingshot has multiple grades of tension and spring varying from the Reactive to the Mad Dog versions. The original or Reactive would help the recreational lifter, but not the Mad Dog as it's much thicker and stronger.

Here's some evidence for gear for the non-PL crew:
    Influence of compressive gear on powerli... [J Strength Cond Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    M. Ed. Ex Phys