Like any smart athlete, I am constantly looking to expand my training knowledge and finding ways to implement the newfound data/knowledge into my training. For most of this year, I have been following some form of conjugate periodization aka Westside training. I switched to nearly exclusive geared work in the Summer and have hit a small plateau in gains lately. I've been hitting some smaller PRs on assistance lifts and the occasional PR on the main lifts, but nothing substantial. I wouldn't say I'm frustrated, but I am definitely disappointed in the lack of progression. The one thing that has been frustrating is my inconsistency in training; some days I'm a machine and other days I'm a powderpuff.

I was set to do a meet in three weeks, but it was cancelled and I dislodged my patella (again) in a non-training accident and this has given me the time to step back and make some adjustments. I am not one of those people that panics and makes drastic changes to anything, so I looked for a different take on my system. What this lead me to was block periodization, which was brought to the forefront by Dr. Issurin decades ago, but is seldom mentioned in the US. Although the differences between the two are not immense (they can be viewed as cousins), it does provide a different twist that I hope elicits some gains. Using Issurin's model, the three phases are the accumulation, transmutation, and realization and I plan to use each phase for three weeks.

11/13
Accumulation Week 1, Day 1

Close Grip Incline Press
205x5x4
20 reps

HS Pronated Rows
160x12
180x8x4
44 reps

Dips
BWx15
BW+25x10x2
BW+25x8
43 reps

Overhead Rope Ex/Facepulls
70x10x4/80x12x4

None of this was done to failure, but I did completely guess on what weight to use on the close-grip incline as I had never done them until this session. I implemented them mainly because Tate is a HUGE fan of these and I am not one to argue with his opinion on how to get stronger. I did notice that my dip strength was down, which may have been a result of the incline or it could have been because I have put little emphasis on fatigue tolerance in my training. Whatever the case, I did have some wicked DOMS that I haven't had for ages. It doesn't really mean much in terms of efficacy, but it is feedback that I did something different.