User Tag List

Established Member Feedback Score 4 (100%) Enuke65's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Doc put me on prednisone

I've got some infection that's fucking me up big time, fever, headache, body aches and I'm having trouble swallowing (no homo).

I'm pissed because I had just gotten back into a routine for the last month after spraining the shit out of my ankle earlier this year and now I feel like death and can't even think about eating, let alone trying to go lift. Also wasn't thrilled with the doc's solution which is to stay at home and rest (full time student with a bunch of commitments that won't understand I'm sick) and take prednisone.

Anyway, doc said take 30mg twice a day for ten days until they get some cultures back. They thought it was strep throat but the rapid test was negative and didn't want to put me on an anti biotic unless they knew it was strep.

Only other stuff I'm taking currently is a daily vitamin, fish oil, vit e , just stuff for general health.

Anyone been on prednisone before and how bad was it, also what can I do to mitigate the bad shit prednisone is infamous for (weight gain, lethargy etc)
    I fear no evil. The shadow is mine and so is the valley.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on Prdnisone for awhle before I had back surgery. Most of the time, they ramp up the dose and then taper off. Dont just quit cause it will give you bad headaches and other sides. My doc only had me on it for a week, then take a few off then hit it again. I could tell after 3 or 4 days that I was getting short fused and it made me feel like crap. Not much you can do other than taper up, taper off, dont be on for more than a week or so.
    -
    I didnt gain much weight. Got constipated from the pills but that was prob most of the weight I held too.
    Last edited by KAB111; 05-27-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Add

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prednisone is a very serious drug, it sounds like your doctor is prescribing it for "possibly" the wrong reasons when something else could be used, if you have cold and flue symptoms you should really be using something else.

It suppresses your immune system so you have higher chances of getting sick. It is a corticosteroid so all the normal side effects associated to them can happen they are:
    Elevated Blood Sugar Levels
    Eye Problems
    Fluid Retention and Elevated Blood Pressure
    Mood Changes
    Insomnia
    Weight gain (particular lead to extra deposits of fat in your abdomen)
    Gastrointestinal Ulcers or Bleeding
    Infection
    Steroid Withdrawal Syndrome
    Depression
    Anxiety

You should also have a withdrawal program in place, my wife has had to take it before and it is bad, she constantly felt sick and dizzy and gained a lot of weight, the withdrawal process was also just as painful for her, each time the dose decreased the symptoms became worse.

It suppresses the adrenals so getting them to restart can be an issue. Adrenal suppression will begin to occur if prednisone is taken for longer than seven days. Eventually, this may cause the body to temporarily lose the ability to manufacture natural corticosteroids (especially cortisol), which results in dependence on prednisone. For this reason, prednisone should not be abruptly stopped if taken for more than seven days, instead, the dosage should be gradually reduced. This weaning process may be over a few days, if the course of prednisone was short, but may take weeks or months

By the sounds of your symptoms it sounds like something else could have been given with less side effects, have a search on google about the drug
    Res100 the most powerful Testosterone Booster www.WickedSupplements.com
    We Ship World Wide! Save 10% with members only discount: SS10 Order Online: www.OnlineNutrition.com.au

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Jelisej's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good post by O.N.- I would be very carefull with prednisone or any corticosteroid, and definitely you must slowly tapper down dosage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I appreciate, I did google it before I posted, the sides sound shitty and I'm hoping I can avoid them, it's a relatively lower dose, and only for 5 days, not ten like I originally posted. I'm just trying to find some relief of my current symptoms and a way to possibly avoid/lessen other sides that may come around.

I called and asked why prednisone off the bat and he said more often than not if the rapid test for strep is negative, a throat culture will be negative for strep as well, but it may tell them if it's some other bacterial infection. The prednisone is in case I'm having an allergic reaction to something, the doc said he gave me this to hopefully reduce inflammation and swelling so I can eat or drink something. If it's not allergies and it's not bacterial then it's viral, in which case they can't do shit anyway.

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) USN HM 350Z's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a viral issue that attacked one of my hearing nerves. Prednisone was prescribed at 50mg a day and my blood sugars went into the 500s. that was a horrible month for me.

Last week surging my cervical spinal fusion they had to use a steroid during the procedure and the same thing happened. Good thing I was stufk in the hospital for a few days and they keep a good eye on my blood glucose levels and administered insulin as needed.

I was asked about corticostroid shots for my knee and I refused before he could even get all the words out. he wished more patients would educate themselves on the issues. Problem is, they get the shot feel like a super hero for a little while and when it wears off they want another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three days on this bullshit and I am not a fan, tired as fuck, get winded going up a set of stairs and cannot stop drinking enough water, always thirsty. 2 more days. On the plus side my sore ass throat and fever are gone, I can actually eat and drink again. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I found the same thing. Gets rid of the inflammation very well but at a crappy cost. You'll feel good again a few days after your off. Glad it worked!