Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AM or PM workout? Your preference?

I've never been a morning person.

Even after an entire adult life of working day shift jobs which start in the morning, I've never quite gotten the hang out of morning motivation. That's probably why in the five years I've been lifting, I've always done so after work, and until recently only on two occasions have tried a morning workout.

Funny thing about those morning workouts are that I would consider them my best workouts ever. Once I hit a PR on my squat at around 6:30 a.m. on a virtually empty stomach. The other time I had all sorts of fuel in the tank for the pushing.

I'd prefer to be a morning workout creature. But something inside me just won't get me out of bed and motivated.

Last week I vowed to change that. At least two of my workouts during the week were done first thing in the morning. And I must confess, both kicked ass. And yesterday, after playing three gigs in a row (Thursday, Friday and Saturday), I peeled myself out of bed at 10 a.m. (didn't get to bed 'til 4), drank an ABB Speed Stack and an All-In and hit the gym for a serious chest and back routine.

I felt like a million bucks.

To be honest, I feel like one of the major benefits of working out in the morning is that I have not eaten yet. Going to the gym after work can either be great, or it can really suck, and the one factor that can influence that is the food I've had to eat that day.

If I eat too big of a lunch, I have terrible indigestion and I'm sluggish. I can hardly push because the food isn't digested, starts coming up and I get nauseated. But if I eat too little at lunch, then I have the shakes and it makes the workout that much more difficult because I'm starving.

I'm hoping to avoid that by eventually converting myself to an AM workout creature. Right now I'll start with two days a week, only because two of my routines can be done in my home gym. Days that require a trip to the athletic center will remain PM workouts until the summer hours end and it begins opening at 6 a.m. again.

Administrator Feedback Score 1 (100%) SoCal-Nutrition's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear, gravity is more intense in the mornings! when I workout in the mornings, i usually have to cut my lifts by about 25% .

for me, I'm sticking to circuits in the morning and cardio...no heavy lifting.
    www.SoCal-Nutrition.com
    Use Coupon code SWOLE5 to save 5% on all orders
    Prescription Nutrition Now Available!

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Nutrition View Post
    I swear, gravity is more intense in the mornings! when I workout in the mornings, i usually have to cut my lifts by about 25% .

for me, I'm sticking to circuits in the morning and cardio...no heavy lifting.
    same here minus the cardio even tho i wish i would start doing more cardio. i feel i need atleast 2 meals before i can lift heavy

Established Member Feedback Score 0 necropuppy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't workout at night. Amps me up to much even without PWO.

I can lift more later on in the day though, prob cause I'm carbbed up. But I think everyone can lift more later on you're fully awake etc.

I lift fasted with bcaas and fish oil an hr before then PWO. I think this is the best for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im the same way necro, if I lift late, Im up way too late to be worth a damn at work the next day. Plus lifting in the morning has really calmed me down in the morning. Im busy, stressed and I used to come in with guns blazing.... My employees even mentioned that it was a good change for them.
    -
    Plus.... As early as I go 530am, there is nobody else around. I have everything I want when I want it. No sharing that early!
    Last edited by KAB111; 06-30-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 necropuppy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: AM or PM workout? Your preference?

Quote Originally Posted by KAB111 View Post
    Im the same way necro, if I lift late, Im up way too late to be worth a damn at work the next day. Plus lifting in the morning has really calmed me down in the morning. Im busy, stressed and I used to come in with guns blazing.... My employees even mentioned that it was a good change for them.
    -
    Plus.... As early as I go 530am, there is nobody else around. I have everything I want when I want it. No sharing that early!
    Yes! I hate ppl in the squat rack when I get there and that's my first exercise. Lol I go in at like 7 though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by necropuppy View Post
    Yes! I hate ppl in the squat rack when I get there and that's my first exercise. Lol I go in at like 7 though.

Didnt you know forearm curls are more effective when standing in the rack??!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an afternoon kind of guy. I don't feel "warmed up" enough in the morning and lifting at night throws off my sleep schedule.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Jelisej's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in afternoon shift, and I'm definitely not morning person so I train after the work and sometimes thats 23:00 and sometimes it can be even midnight, not sure if I had some vampire in familly...
    Training late has lot of disadvantages, but on positive side- I dont need worm up or stretching, muscles and nervous system is ready.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lift when mood strikes. I am definitely weaker before 2pm. But sometimes I still go in morning. Working out is harder but it feels better to have it over with.