User Tag List

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muscle Knots / Adhesions

Over the course of 55 years I probably have pulled muscles a lot of times and have a lot of "old" injuries.

I recently changed my workout routine from a stronglifts 5x5 kind of routine to one that included a lot more volume and a lot of pulling exercises ( deads, inverted rows, pullups, chin-ups, barbell rows, dumbbell rows, shrugs, powercleans). ( this was balanced by a big push day as well) I noticed my rear delts, rhomboids and mid traps really were sore afterwards but thought it was a good sign of hitting those muscle groups hard.

About two weeks ago my entire left upper back froze up - it looked like I was in the middle of a wide grip pullup in that everything there was clenched and would not let go. With two weeks of massage and physio it has loosened up a bit but both my physio and massage therapist say my back is a mess - I have muscle knots and adhesions everywhere ( worse on the upper left side) that they are trying to work out. I still have huge knots in my back and some nerve impingement down the left arm. My massage therapist says a lot of this has been there a long time as fresh adhesions let go quickly but these are not fresh. She thinks I just irritated old stuff

Any thoughts or advice other than just continue with massage, physio and stretching exercises ? Physio does not want me doing any weight training that will stress muscles in upper back at the moment. I orders some Achilles thinking it may help with muscle insertions as I seem to have inflammation there and thought muscles locking up might be an attempt to minimize movement of inflamed ligaments and tendons.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Jelisej's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I remeber, there are few common reasons for knots/adhesions- too much strain (including poor posture or being in same position for too long), poorblodflow/low oxygen, dehydration and low potassium levels- I think that thats one of reasons why tenis players eat bananas during match- to add potassium to prevent cramps and adhesions.
    So basically prevention is best measure- if someone is getting lot of adhesion than he should address underlying issue.

Something that is not directly connected to topic, but you may find some interesting stuff: Track Your Plaque Heart Disease Prevention and Reversal Online
    Last edited by Jelisej; 07-27-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can literally see knots/adhesions through my skin on my forearms I too am curious about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KGPL View Post
    I can literally see knots/adhesions through my skin on my forearms I too am curious about this.
    I can feel them as I press along the length of certain muscles. One of the most noticeable is in my left triceps. When not flexed- most of the muscles are relatively soft and move under a bit of pressure - one section is hard as a rock as if I was flexing and tender and sore. Similar spots thru lat, mid traps and rhomboids. Active Release and Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation seem to be the main options - and foam rolling - tennis ball rolling and other myofascial self release at home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ART really helps - if you go to the ART website you can look up a practitioner in your area. Lots of chiropractors nowadays learn ART for soft tissue work.

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) tallstraw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to look at this foam roller shit and etc. Home remedies for tight muscle groups and etc. Is there a good website? I need to restore function to certain spots

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Bucks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muscle Knots / Adhesions

Rumble Roller!!!!

For knots and back issues it's a great tool. They are expensive but if you get massages or goto the chiropractor often the payback is in about 2 months on the roller.

I fly a lot and my back will get knotted up setting in those small ass seats especially if I have some one my size sitting next to me because I set there with my shoulders twisted a lot.

I have the wide one since I'm a bigger guy and the medium hardness. Gotta love it for daily rolling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found a good link for foam rolling etc- looking at getting a Rumble Roller.

http://www.robertsontrainingsystems....SMR-manual.pdf

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Eden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second what bucks said. Foam roll the mother fuck out of it. My legs HURT to foam roll but it adds definition and makes them feel so much better.