User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Supplements for Women?

So I think I may finally have my wife on board with getting herself back on track with fitness. I'm looking for supplement suggestions that have worked for other guys wives/girlfriends that have seemed to work with a good solid workout routine. I believe I can help her with the workout routines but I don't know much about what's effective/safe for women to supplement with. Obviously hormonals are largely a no-no, but I am curious about something like 7 oxo and if that could be of benefit. Outside of that maybe certain herbal and/or nutrient supplements is what I'm looking for. She's wanting to drop all this money on meal replacement programs and shakes, but I can't help but think that may be all fad-diet stuff and feel there may be more cost-effective and smarter options.

A little background is that she has been a life long athlete, playing sports in high school and staying pretty fit through her twenties (we're both in our early 30s now). But after having our two kids and developing a hypoactive (underactive) thyroid, she has really struggled with weight in recent years. The thyroid issue is a big concern for her, she doesn't want to take anything that may negatively effect that further.

This will take time, and supplements are not a fix-all, I'm well aware of that, but again, I'm trying to support her the best I can and am actually pretty excited about getting her on board and using my own knowledge I've gained over the years to help her out too. Plus who doesn't want a fit wife?

Anyway, any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks!!

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best results ive seen in my lady friend are from:

creatine, phytotest (testofen +isoflavones), anavar

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) tallstraw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alb+yohimbe+ephedrine..that's what I've been told by female friends

Sponsor Feedback Score 0 moleculargainz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from two things, my girlfriend takes everything that I do - Creatine, Achilles joint support, Orange triad multi, Myopeak preworkout, Purple Wraath intra, then various protein powders. She's made incredible progress over the past two years but that's mainly because she trains really hard and is really strict/precise/consistent with her diet. Supplements are awesome and can have a great impact, but diet will always be the biggest determining factor when it comes to changing body composition.

My advice would be to get her diet down and stick to the basics as far as supplements for starting out.
    SoCal Nutrition - Discount Bodybuilding Supplements
    Use coupon code HBLS to save 5% on all orders!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys. Diet is going to have to be the big thing initially for her, self control has kind of gone out the window lately it seems... Exercise wise I think she will have to understand that she can't go from nothing to over training. In the past she has went from sitting on the couch one minute to trying to run 5+ miles a day, that just doesn't work ends in just giving up.

One thing I wish she could get out her head is that weight training will not just make her a hulking monster. Unfortunately that seems to be a common misconception with some women. They don't realize one of the best ways to lean up is to LIFT. If a person could just lift weights for a while and suddenly have a muscled out bodybuilder physique, we'd all be thrilled. I digress..

I'll stick with the basics to start out for suggestions to her. Maybe some creatine, protein powder, and a good multi. She's not a fan of stims so maybe a decent non-stim PWO.

Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post
    best results ive seen in my lady friend are from:

creatine, phytotest (testofen +isoflavones), anavar
    Interesting suggestion about the phyto-test too, that might be worth looking into eventually. I know it always worked well for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to chime back in on this thread. Things are going very well for her. I lined her out with a few good supplements. In addition to the basics (multi, fish oil, a good protein powder), she's been taking 7-keto, creatine, CLA, green tea extract, acetyl-l-carnitine, and glucosamine/chondroitin. While all that is great, I think where she has really been on point is with diet, good lean food sources as well as a good consistent workout routine. She's doing the T25 workout routine, and though that kind of thing isn't really for me, I must admit it's working for her. Through all this she's managed to lose 17 lbs in 6 weeks. Now just looking forward to getting her in the gym with me!
    Last edited by Strong_Guy; 02-16-2015 at 04:28 PM.

Sponsor Feedback Score 0 moleculargainz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome man, congrats to her! T25 is great for starting out, but it can only take you so far. I'm sure she'll be all over the weights soon if she isn't already. The ladies just can't stay away once they start
    SoCal Nutrition - Discount Bodybuilding Supplements
    Use coupon code HBLS to save 5% on all orders!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan228 View Post
    That's awesome man, congrats to her! T25 is great for starting out, but it can only take you so far. I'm sure she'll be all over the weights soon if she isn't already. The ladies just can't stay away once they start
    She's definitely psyched as she is recognizing her own progression. I told her the weight will likely fall off at first since she hasn't done much for several years and to not get discouraged when it slows down, because it inevitably will. I completely agree though, that the T25 has been an excellent starting point for her. I always looked at those things as a kind of "fad" workout but I realize the important thing for someone is to find out what works, and build on that. I think she was too intimidated really to just start straight back out at the gym but I can see the confidence growing in her and I'm sure I'll get her in there soon.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 somm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She might want to add in Alpha lipoic acid to her supplements. It will work well along with the CLA to treat insulin resistance ( increase insulin sensitivity) and help her to lose weight. My wife and I use both CLA and r-ALA together and I think it works really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somm View Post
    She might want to add in Alpha lipoic acid to her supplements. It will work well along with the CLA to treat insulin resistance ( increase insulin sensitivity) and help her to lose weight. My wife and I use both CLA and r-ALA together and I think it works really well.
    Thanks for the tip! We'll look into that.