User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boron for more DHT and free T

Ran across an article talking about boron and its interesting effects on the endocrine system with respect to free testosterone and DHT. It's relatively cheap and there are some studies that speak to the benefits.

It was found to decrease the amount of SHBG in the blood, which would make it a great thing to add to PCT.

This study: Comparative effects of daily and weekly boron supplementation on pl... - PubMed - NCBI - although a small group, showed free testosterone levels went up by 28% and, estrogen levels dropped by 39% and serum DHT also increased significantly while SHBG levels decreased significantly.

They did this one on the effects of boron supplementation on serum vitamin D levels, but on the side they also measured serum hormone levels from their subjects.

http://www.bioimmersion.com/media/do..._monograph.pdf

The researchers in this case saw that the boron supplementation had increased their subjects free testosterone levels by 29.5%.

Looks like this is one I'll be adding to my pro T/DHT diet plan in the future, along with sorghum.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So boron and sorghum? Anything else you recommend or anything you recommend we stay away from? I think I remember you saying that 5a inhibitors or something were bad for DHT levels? I think I've also seen you mention omeprazole being bad as well? Whats your full recommendation?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spank View Post
    So boron and sorghum? Anything else you recommend or anything you recommend we stay away from? I think I remember you saying that 5a inhibitors or something were bad for DHT levels? I think I've also seen you mention omeprazole being bad as well? Whats your full recommendation?
    Stay away from:

Rice
    Fenugreek
    Saw palmetto
    Astaxanthin
    Safflower
    Finasteride
    Reishi
    Licorice root

I have seen research that indicates certain acid reducers can be anti-androgenic. The worst offender, I'm told, is Tagamet.

One surprising thing that will help your DHT levels a bunch is creatine. Here's the study to back up my claim:

Three weeks of creatine monohydrate supplementation affects dihydro... - PubMed - NCBI

Here's an excerpt:

RESULTS:

After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001). The ratio of DHT:T also increased by 36% after 7 days creatine supplementation and remained elevated by 22% after the maintenance dose (P < 0.01).
    CONCLUSIONS:

Creatine supplementation may, in part, act through an increased rate of conversion of T to DHT. Further investigation is warranted as a result of the high frequency of individuals using creatine supplementation and the long-term safety of alterations in circulating androgen composition. STATEMENT OF CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Although creatine is a widely used ergogenic aid, the mechanisms of action are incompletely understood, particularly in relation to dihydrotestosterone, and therefore the long-term clinical safety cannot be guaranteed.

And one major test booster that I will be adding to my arsenal of supplements will be Ashwagandha.

This study -- Withania somnifera improves semen quality by regulating reproductiv... - PubMed - NCBI --- found out that infertile men who are given 5 grams of Ashwagandha for 3 months increase their testosterone levels by 40% on average when compared to placebo. The men who had normal sperm activity noticed an increase of 15%.

This study -- Clinical Evaluation of the Spermatogenic Activity of the Root Extra... - PubMed - NCBI -- arrived at a similar conclusion. The Ashwagandha group had increased their testosterone levels by 17% when compared to the placebo group. They also saw a 34% increase in luteinizing hormone (LH), which shows that Ashwagandha works by stimulating testosterone synthesis inside the gonads.

And here's another -- Withania somnifera Improves Semen Quality in Stress-Related Male Fertility -- and what they found out was that their subjects had increased testosterone levels by 16% on average and that their stress hormone (cortisol) levels had dropped roughly by 30%.

And then here's a double-blind, randomized, controlled, placebo study: http://www.lifeforce.net/pdfs/withania_review.pdf

It gave both men and women, a 250-500 mg dose of Ashwagandha for mixed durations (1-6 months) and found out that on average their subjects cortisol levels dropped by 14% and that their HDL cholesterol levels increased by 17.3%.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 entropy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also avoid dutasteride and plastics containing BPA.

Oh.. Cottonseed oil and soy products too.

Statin drugs are pretty awful too. Wow this is a long list.

FPR, cdsnuts etc. I think we should turn this into a dedicated thread. "Things to avoid to protect your manhood".
    Last edited by entropy; 01-14-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Also avoid dutasteride and plastics containing BPA.

Oh.. Cottonseed oil and soy products too.

Statin drugs are pretty awful too. Wow this is a long list.

FPR, cdsnuts etc. I think we should turn this into a dedicated thread. "Things to avoid to protect your manhood".
    I would not doubt it if statin drugs are largely responsible for the ED/low testosterone epidemic. Cholesterol is a direct precursor to testosterone. When you cut it off, test is inevitably going to follow.

And soy, yeah, damn, absolutely NO GOOD can come of a man eating soy. I can cite study after study that demonstrates countless reasons why it should have no place in a man's diet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latrogenesis is the third biggest cause of death in America iirc. Basically, if you get prescribed anything, do the research before you take it. A lot of meds (5ari's, accutane, anti depressants, statins etc) have adverse effects on the endocrine system. Sucks.

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) tallstraw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol stay away from cottonseed oil..ill just throw these bottles of golden goodness out lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tallstraw View Post
    Lol stay away from cottonseed oil..ill just throw these bottles of golden goodness out lol
    I would do that right now.

Infertility in male rats induced by diets containing whole cottonse... - PubMed - NCBI
    MaleContraceptives.org -- Gossypol
    An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
    Cottonseed and Infertility | Wisconsin Institute of Nutrition, LLP

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) tallstraw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tallstraw View Post
    Oh shit.
    The context in which you're applying cottonseed oil probably makes the issues negligent, IMHO

I was just thinking, this thread could easily be re-named: "Stuff that makes your wiener stop working," or "Stuff that's good for your wiener and manhood."