User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watch Dave Tate's "So you think you can bench, squat, and deadlift" video compilations at least once a week. I always have a hard time keeping my upper back tight when performing the bench. I have a pretty good arch, but I tend to lose the tightness once the weight gets heavier. My footing is getting better, as is my core tightness and my lockout. I really find the way Dave breaks things down in these videos is amazing; he's so detailed and helps get your programming right. You guys should go over to elitefts.com or youtube to find these great vids.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 HIXX504's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technique Check Thread

I have three questions for you rodja.....

Trap bar vs barbell dead lifts. Which is better? Is the trap bar better for someone new to dead lifting? I've only been doing dead lifts for about six weeks.

How far apart should my feet be when I squat? I haven't done squats regularly since High school football(18 years ago).

How wide should my grip be when doing standing military press?
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIXX504 View Post
    I have three questions for you rodja.....

Trap bar vs barbell dead lifts. Which is better? Is the trap bar better for someone new to dead lifting? I've only been doing dead lifts for about six weeks.

How far apart should my feet be when I squat? I haven't done squats regularly since High school football(18 years ago).

How wide should my grip be when doing standing military press?
    The trap bar makes it more of a quad-dominant lift as opposed to a hip dominant lift. IMO, the trap bar is, at best, something that should be used to break up monotony or as a supplemental lift as you will seldom find someone with quads that are their weakness within the kinetic chain.

Squat foot placement is subjective and depends on bar positioning, mobility, etc. Hand placement on OHP should be about shoulder width apart or slightly wider. I use ~thumbs length outside the smooth of the bar.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0 HIXX504's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technique Check Thread

Thanks rodja. I'm gonna try to get a video up soon so you can help me more with my form.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technique Check Thread

So, given I know there's a lot of deep squat fans, I'm taller and my ankles are tight so going deep is difficult. Today, after catching my last rep where my form was of course terrible as I have started repetitions to failure, the trainer suggested that I not go as deep to keep my back straighter at a heavier load. Her contention is that since I am taller and getting older, that I can get just as much bang for my buck if not more if my only goal is quad work while reducing the risk of injury. I think she's on to something especially since I have a rather developed set of glut and ham work in my routine as well. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the problem with personal trainers:

It's too easy to become one and most of them don't know jack shit outside of what is taught in their textbook. First, going to failure on squats is not a good idea. As you already touched upon, most people's technique goes to hell and injury is possible. Second, thinking that squats are a quad exercise is 100% incorrect; it is a movement that engages the thighs, hips, and, to an extent, the core and upper back. Finally, half squats will most likely lead to imbalances and tightnesses in the hips and quads.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) tallstraw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't do squats. What do you suggest instead? I can deadlifts almost perfectly, although I have been slacking at the gym alot, lately. The new year I will get back into it again. I literally can't do them. Even with no weight on my back. I can't keep my knees behind my feet, while keeping my back straight. I need soemthing else. I have a shorter torso with long legs lol I was thinking just ol faithful legpress. I'm done trying or hearing people say you can, you just don't want to. I have tried every tip people give me, can't do it. That's how I hurt my knee overseas finally. So I need soemthing to replace it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you sit on a toilet? If so, then you can squat.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) tallstraw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Can you sit on a toilet? If so, then you can squat.
    Not without my knees past my toes

- - - Updated - - -

Want a picture, since apparently my word isn't shit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tallstraw View Post
    Not without my knees past my toes

- - - Updated - - -

Want a picture, since apparently my word isn't shit