User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sponsored Antaeus Labs 'Achilles' review

OK, the nice people at Antaeus Labs have given me one bottle of Achilles to review. One bottle will last me thirty days at 2 caps twice a day. Here is the product info from the Antaeus site: Antaeus Labs | Achilles

Achilles
    Ultimate Joint Support

By combining cutting-edge pharmaceutical-grade ingredients with tried-and-tested high-quality herbal extracts, new Achilles from Antaeus Labs brings you the most advanced joint-support formula on the market!

Every hero has a weakness. For many weightlifters and bodybuilders this is their joints. Tendons and ligaments bear the brunt of punishing weight-lifting sessions, commonly becoming inflamed and sore.

The connective tissue just can't keep up with the heavier and heavier weights lifted week after week.

Niggling pains become chronic injuries, often requiring a forced rest, a change of routine or the permanent dropping of some exercises altogether.
    Ingredients:

Palmitoylethanolamide
    40 years of scientific research has established Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) as one of the most important endogenous painkilling and anti-inflammatory compounds.
    The naturally occurring fatty acid amide palmitoylethanolamide is an agonist of the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPAR-α). [1] PPAR-α agonists have been shown to be effective for both acute and chronic pain. [2]
    PEA can modulate pain sensitivity (nociception) by regulating mast cells. [3] Mast cells release bioactive mediators like histamine (that dilates blood vessels leading to swelling, redness, and warmth [4]) and nerve growth factor (that produces inflammation and sensitization of pain-sensing neurons [5]).

Heteropterys Aphrodisiaca
    Brazilian traditional medicine uses H. aphrodisiaca for, among other things, muscle and bone weakness – use that has been borne out recently when a study found that H. aphrodisiaca-treated trained rats had stronger tendons that could take a bigger load and more stress than untreated trained rats. [6]

“H. aphrodisiaca associated with endurance training contributed to more efficient remodeling of the extracellular matrix, resulting in more resistant tendons to support high loads from intense muscle contraction. These findings suggest that H. aphrodisiaca infusion is a potential aid to optimize tendon remodeling in athletes.” [6]

Kirenol
    The plant Xi Xian Cao (Siegesbeckia orientalis) has been used for centuries in traditional chinese medicine (TCM) for its anti-inflammatory properties. One constituent of Siegesbeckia is Kirenol – which has recently been discovered to be a potent anti-inflammatory that also suppressed joint inflammation and inhibited cartilage and bone destruction in a rat model of arthritis. [7][8]

Cissus Quadrangularis
    Asthisamharaka (Cissus Quadrangularis) is another herb that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to heal broken bones and injured ligaments and tendons. [9] Numerous studies show that Cissus is anti-osteoporotic and pro-osteogenic, and it’s long been a staple in the arsenal of athletes and bodybuilders with joint problems. [10][11]
    “There was shortening of about two weeks in the duration of bone healing. The hastening in the fracture healing was attributed to the stimulation of all cells of mesenchymal origin, namely, the fibroblasts, chondroblasts and osteoblasts, by Cissus quandrangularis.” [10]

Zingiber Zerumbet
    Zingiber Zerumbet is a species of ginger, the rhizome (root) of which has been used traditionally throughout Southeast Asia to treat pain and inflammation. Recent studies have demonstrated antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. [12] In addition to containing molecules such as 6-gingerol, which are very well-known anti-inflammatory modulators, some of the phytochemical constituents that make up Zingiber Zerumbet have been found to be potent histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors. [13] Several studies have recently concluded that HDAC inhibition can reduce joint inflammation and protect cartilage. [14][15][16]

“In conclusion, inhibition of HDAC prevents joint inflammation and cartilage and bone destruction in experimental arthritis.” [14]

“HDAC inhibitors may therefore be novel chondroprotective therapeutic agents in arthritis by virtue of their ability to inhibit the expression of destructive metalloproteinases by chondrocytes.” [15]
    These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
    This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contd. At the moment I'm four weeks into a 8 week AL/AH/AE cycle, and I have been using SNS Cissus 3gms ed and Species Arthrolyze (Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM,+) for joint health. I've stopped taking these two products and am just taking Achilles now, and from what I've read, Achilles takes about a week to kick in, so I will be patient, (been on it five days so far). I'm not familiar with any of the compounds in Achilles except Cissus, which I take every day. AFAIK the weaker (5%) extract of Cissus is meant to be better for joint health than the stronger extracts, but I suppose that may vary with different qualities of Cissus. The daily dose of Cissus in Achilles is 1g, but it's only part the product, so we will have to see how well it works. However, after five days without my previous joint supps, I am aware of a 'stiffness' that I haven't felt for a long time, which I would guess is due to a reduced dose of Cissus.

Anyway, I should mention that I lift most days in my very basic home gym, which is just a bench, squat rack and free weights, and 'try' to run at least three times a week.

Will update in a few days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just received an email from Jake re Cissus, that I want to share with you. Excellent product support, I think you'll agree.

Hi Mark,

It's a full-spectrum 20:1 ethanol extract.  It was not standardized for
    ketosterones... but, that said, neither are the very vast majority of the
    studies which have examined the effects of cissus.  Just a few are here
    below.

Clinics - Petroleum ether extract of Cissus quadrangularis (Linn.) enhances bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell proliferation and facilitates osteoblastogenesis

Clinical evaluation of cissus quadrangularis and moringa oleifera and osteoseal as osteogenic agents in mandibular fracture

http://pharmacologyonline.silae.it/f...ol3/15_Rao.pdf

http://www.wellcorps.com/files/Effec...OfFracture.pdf

Antiosteoporotic effect of ethanol extract ... [J Ethnopharmacol. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

Ethnomedicinal plants used to treat bone fr... [J Ethnopharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Effect of Cissus quadrangularis Linn on the develop... [Clin Ter. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cissus quadrangularis ethanol extract upreg... [J Ethnopharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI (this study attributes the
    effects of Cissus to quercetin and resveratrol, which I doubt, but...)

Anti-inflammatory effect of ethyl acetate e... [J Ethnopharmacol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Effect of Majja Basti (therapeutic enema) and Asthi Shrinkhala (Cissus quadrangularis) in the management of Osteoporosis (Asthi-Majjakshaya) (Bizarre study.  They
    didn't use an extract... just plant pulp.)

...Ah, that's probably enough for now.  My point is that there are dozens
    of studies which show that the extract is of some value -- but I'm not
    aware of any study, not one, which attributes this effect to
    "ketosterones" solely.  So I think that it might be a mistake to
    standardize the extract to 'em, at the expense of... well... everything
    else.  (Constituents of Cissus quadrangularis. [Nat Prod Res. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI)

What do you think??

Thanks very much for trying the product, by the way.
    All the best!
    -Jake
    Last edited by markam; 11-22-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jake to me is everything you want to see in a company owner. Very few people have the approach to putting out great products that he does (as you can figure, Eric was one of the others I saw the same in). Replies like the above demonstrate it well for me.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Jack O'Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in. Interested by this kind of product.

I used to take glucosamine 4g/day but after heavy workouts, joints are often painful

Want to see feelings after your cycle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill View Post
    I'm in. Interested by this kind of product.

I used to take glucosamine 4g/day but after heavy workouts, joints are often painful

Want to see feelings after your cycle
    Hi Jack, good to have you following.

--------------------------------------------
    10th day, supplementing with Achilles.

Well, things have not gone as I hoped. I stopped taking SNS Cissus and Species Arthrolyze (Glucosamine, etc) when I started Achilles, and I noticed my joints were hurting more than usual after a few days. I decided to tough it out as Achilles is said to kick in after a week, but things got progressively worse, and I'm guessing it was the reduced dosage of Cissus. (I had previously been taking 3gms ed whereas Achilles contains 1gm ed. So what to do? Either take painkillers or restart taking my old joint sups? I don't want to skew the results of this log, but I also don't want to be in so much pain that I'm unable to work due to back pain.

After much deliberation, I have started taking the joint sups as before with Achilles. I understand that Achilles can bring long term healing benefit and better recovery, etc, so I will have to try and guage what difference Achilles is making for me, and as I had been supplementing with Cissus, etc for a long time, I feel I know my 'base level'.

I think I will need at least another week or so to tell how Achilles is helping, so I'll update then.

Thanks again to Antaeus for letting me log this, I think I may prove a good test subject (In other words, if Achilles can improve my joints, it'll probably work for anyone!)

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    late as always, but definetly inerested in this.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 3 (100%) BBG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey markam, don't worry about skewing the results. If anything, discontinuing your old supps right when you start could do that. I really hope you see added benefit of the achilles!
    Super not-not-moderator BBG

Need extra cash? List of "Get Paid To" sites: Make $5 a day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG View Post
    Hey markam, don't worry about skewing the results. If anything, discontinuing your old supps right when you start could do that. I really hope you see added benefit of the achilles!
    Good point. I've resumed my regular joint sups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 days update.

I was thinking that maybe I will notice the difference that Achilles has made when I finish my 30 day trial, but I noticed a definite improvement today. My right knee can be quite painful when getting into the car, and I actually lift my knee slightly with my right hand to lessen the pain. This makes me sound in quite bad shape, but it's just specific movements that cause pain; I still squat, deadlift, and run regularly. Anyway, today is the first time for a long time that I didn't bother to 'help' my knee when getting in the car, because I didn't need too! This is a major improvement. Glad I could finally report a change for the positive.