User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Comeback from injury

I'll throw in one of my injury stories...

I was in the middle of a two year off-season while getting ready for a national qualifier. I needed the extra time to put on additional muscle and come in at the top of my weight class instead of near the bottom. It was during this period that I chose to use AAS for the first time.

I worked out in a hole-in-the wall gym owned by a former world champion powerlifter and his team of national and world level lifters. The equipment wasnt all that well kept up, but it was good enough for me. Or so I had thought...

One day I was adding 45s to the lat pull, bringing it up to about 340 or so. First couple of sets went fine. I really should have paid more attention to the frayed cable, though.

Midway through my next set, the cable snapped just as I got the bar to my chest. Since I was pulling back hard at that time, I just kept going backward. My abs engaged just in time to keep my head from hitting the floor behind me. When I stopped myself and "sat" back up, I felt something in my back had gone very wrong. It had.

For a couple of months, it hurt to stand, sit, or lay down in any position and became unbearable after about 5 minutes. No amount of pain killers or anti inflammatories would touch it.

It took many many months of homemade rehab to get me back to the gym in any real capacity, but I was eventually able to get the bulging discs in my back into place once again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Mr_math's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    i was told i was dying lmfao, after the fact of course.......
    catheter when i woke up (shit fkn pulls when you go for your walk)(when its pulled out, it burns so much you get horny, no jk)
    lung tap that didnt work
    iv in my foot one night because dumb nurse squeezed a sac into my arm in 5min thus infecting it
    shitting into a bedpan, very unbecoming
    hallucinations from the epidural drip i was on (squirrels on my head, seeing my gf mount me)
    pic line to replace iv
    alot of jello
    doctors with the same stupid qs the first week trying to figure out the issue(this one, fk her lips were chapped, n had the white buildup in the side of her mouth)
    ect

and yes, medicare is great......wife's sister's bf just had knee done, 80k, still paid 9k premium off his insurance.....when he heard my story he asked how much.....guessing 250k bill, told him 0, n my card had expired too.....so for you americans who knock obama, you wont the day you actually fkn need it

n no math, no shift, was put on respirator for few days, oddly i didnt want it as i was able to breathe ok on my own, with the 1.2 lungs

- - - Updated - - -

the last time i barebacked you i heard you murmur that
    Damn. That's crazy!!! Seriously is baffling lol. That could be a Greys anatomy episode dj.

Glad I never had a hospital stay, id be scared of C. Diff infections alone aside from all the other stuff. Lots of pros n cons with that healthcare, I've seen the sort luckily working Healthcare in the military, and unfortunately I'm dealing with the shitty care that I got from being in.

But at the same time I got LASIK for free and have 20x15 vision. Pros and cons.....
    Use code MEM1153 for a discount on your TrueNutrition.com orders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post

the last time i barebacked you i heard you murmur that
    ROFL

All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    But bro, you live in Canada, that means you can't see any doctors ever, even if you are dieing they tell you to come back in 10 years. I know a cousin's uncle's brother who once ate at a diner with a guy who knew a canadian that said they hate their universal health insurance. Obama just wants the rich person's money so the poor can get brand new cars.

/sarcasm.
    Lol.. without getting too political, I'll just say that both sides of the aisle have a lot of bad ideas and spending money we dont have is a bad economic plan and a problem for everyone in this country.

Last edited by burlyman30; 11-26-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    I'll throw in one of my injury stories...

I was in the middle of a two year off-season while getting ready for a national qualifier. I needed the extra time to put on additional muscle and come in at the top of my weight class instead of near the bottom. It was during this period that I chose to use AAS for the first time.

I worked out in a hole-in-the wall gym owned by a former world champion powerlifter and his team of national and world level lifters. The equipment wasnt all that well kept up, but it was good enough for me. Or so I had thought...

One day I was adding 45s to the lat pull, bringing it up to about 340 or so. First couple of sets went fine. I really should have paid more attention to the frayed cable, though.

Midway through my next set, the cable snapped just as I got the bar to my chest. Since I was pulling back hard at that time, I just kept going backward. My abs engaged just in time to keep my head from hitting the floor behind me. When I stopped myself and "sat" back up, I felt something in my back had gone very wrong. It had.

For a couple of months, it hurt to stand, sit, or lay down in any position and became unbearable after about 5 minutes. No amount of pain killers or anti inflammatories would touch it.

It took many many months of homemade rehab to get me back to the gym in any real capacity, but I was eventually able to get the bulging discs in my back into place once again.

Yeahhhh that could have went pretty bad!!!

I'm dealing with a bulging disc right now. It's horrible. Had it for years, (go navy!) had it put back into place once. Came back out due to my weak lower back. Stuff I never took serious until I started PL'n and Strongman. Which is why I had to start back at square one for deads and squats. It's nice my back is much stronger now, thankfully. But I still can't bend over too far on my right side, also can't lift my leg very high nor stretch too well because its basically feels like something internally is pushing right back against me on my lower back.

What else did you do to get it back into place? I think I should get it reset then keep working on my low back.

It's nearly traumatic when I work lower back to the point that it overloads the nerves down there and I nearly pass out trying to do back extensions, supermans, stiffleg deads. Etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_math View Post
    Yeahhhh that could have went pretty bad!!!

What else did you do to get it back into place?
    Believe it or not, doing stiff legged deads with a highly arched (not rounded) back was the best therapy. But that is because the action of that exercise squeezed the discs in the direction they needed to move. Your situation could be much different, so don't consider this as a solution to your situation. Oddly, the heavier I went, the better my back got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not, doing stiff legged deads with a highly arched (not rounded) back was the best therapy. But that is because the action of that exercise squeezed the discs in the direction they needed to move. Your situation could be much different, so don't consider this as a solution to your situation. Oddly, the heavier I went, the better my back got.

These have been helpful with stretching and just overall feeling better. I try to keep variation with all of the lifts. Also front squats realllllllly help tighten my lower back up and have seemed to work wonders.... The only downfall is that the disc is still bulging. Yay.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    But bro, you live in Canada, that means you can't see any doctors ever, even if you are dieing they tell you to come back in 10 years. I know a cousin's uncle's brother who once ate at a diner with a guy who knew a canadian that said they hate their universal health insurance. Obama just wants the rich person's money so the poor can get brand new cars.

/sarcasm.
    oh yeah for sure

its the fkn people who have a sneeze and go to the ER and flood the place, which causes the long waits, being free, people go for anything ill assume.....the day i was there for 6-7hrs, i watched others like anyone wondering who had what

truthfully tho, if you showed up with a serious injury and looked in dire need of attention, you will get it

the only issue i can think of off the top of my head is there is a 'supposed' waiting list for people looking for a GP/family doctor......however wifey went for a checkup for her asthma, the regular doc asked her if she had a gp, she said no, he said ok you are my patient now.....didnt sound so hard

again im naive not being american, and dont know all the ins n outs, but it is beyond me the only developed nation in the world without healthcare is the US, richest nation too.....and you have a guy pushing hard for it, and their is public outcry (there was a pp thread).....no doubt itll be a work in progress, but just to lay the ground work is a huge step......and i dont see any argument that could sway my thinking........if i was american, id have had to taken out a loan so i could live, pretty fkd up

- - - Updated - - -

Lol.. without getting too political, I'll just say that both sides of the aisle have a lot of bad ideas and spending money we dont have is a bad economic plan and a problem for everyone in this country.

but the economy is based on debt lol

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a former health insurance agent, and I support the current bill, and even more so supported a full universal approach. A great percentage of American bankruptcies are health related.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_math View Post
    Damn. That's crazy!!! Seriously is baffling lol. That could be a Greys anatomy episode dj.

Glad I never had a hospital stay, id be scared of C. Diff infections alone aside from all the other stuff. Lots of pros n cons with that healthcare, I've seen the sort luckily working Healthcare in the military, and unfortunately I'm dealing with the shitty care that I got from being in.

But at the same time I got LASIK for free and have 20x15 vision. Pros and cons.....
    you misunderstood, those were all procedures, lung tap didnt work because it was an attempt to avoid surgery, they did their job.....only thing was the nurse squeezing my iv, but thats here being stupid and not a knock on the system.....iv in the foot was result of that arm not being available, and the other already iv'd............ill say the care was more than adequate, i went to be treated and not look for a vacation