User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    I'll throw in one of my injury stories...

I was in the middle of a two year off-season while getting ready for a national qualifier. I needed the extra time to put on additional muscle and come in at the top of my weight class instead of near the bottom. It was during this period that I chose to use AAS for the first time.

I worked out in a hole-in-the wall gym owned by a former world champion powerlifter and his team of national and world level lifters. The equipment wasnt all that well kept up, but it was good enough for me. Or so I had thought...

One day I was adding 45s to the lat pull, bringing it up to about 340 or so. First couple of sets went fine. I really should have paid more attention to the frayed cable, though.

Midway through my next set, the cable snapped just as I got the bar to my chest. Since I was pulling back hard at that time, I just kept going backward. My abs engaged just in time to keep my head from hitting the floor behind me. When I stopped myself and "sat" back up, I felt something in my back had gone very wrong. It had.

For a couple of months, it hurt to stand, sit, or lay down in any position and became unbearable after about 5 minutes. No amount of pain killers or anti inflammatories would touch it.

It took many many months of homemade rehab to get me back to the gym in any real capacity, but I was eventually able to get the bulging discs in my back into place once again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    back is last place id wanna get hurt, iv had a few close calls, but thats it...........wow pretty rough
    shoulda taught you to stop playing with the big boy weights and go back to your hulk hogan gym set

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Mr_math's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    you misunderstood, those were all procedures, lung tap didnt work because it was an attempt to avoid surgery, they did their job.....only thing was the nurse squeezing my iv, but thats here being stupid and not a knock on the system.....iv in the foot was result of that arm not being available, and the other already iv'd............ill say the care was more than adequate, i went to be treated and not look for a vacation

I'm aware those are procedures. I am thankful I've never had to be hospitalized is what I'm saying. Regardless of what system it is.

Yeah it'd be nice to be taken care of and get fixed. I would rather not be in the bed in the first place. Just like women having To go through a pregnancy. All the stuff they have to put up with. Taxing to say the least.
    Use code MEM1153 for a discount on your TrueNutrition.com orders.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Comeback from injury

back is last place id wanna get hurt, iv had a few close calls, but thats it...........wow pretty rough
    shoulda taught you to stop playing with the big boy weights and go back to your hulk hogan gym set
    This is a pic of your personal home gym, isn't it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been dealing with a couple issues since 2010. Shit, just last saturday, after a nice full day on my feet, I could not stand straight up, or risk dropping to my knees in pain. It's the damn back! L5 to be exact... I don't really get hurt doing my grappling or lifting- it actually feels better if I do them. Standing too long and sitting too long is what fucks my back up. Although I have hurt it from lifting here.

My plan was and still is, to lose weight while strengthening up the whole body. My rehab went from Aqua-therapy and having to use a cane, to living room excercises struggling with my own bodyweight, and now to the gym and dojo.

Thats the killer^ being injured while being heavy. Once it happens to you, you'll change your mind about wanting to get big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ you arent big
    you are huge!!! werent you as high as 300??

i couldnt afford the food lol let alone fathom it

good luck tho

if my back is stiff, its always sitting but gym n sports nada from being warm so i get what you are saying

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ you arent big

good luck tho

if my back is stiff, its always sitting but gym n sports nada from being warm so i get what you are saying
    I love Ryansm's descriptions of what his diet style used to be. Insane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ you arent big

good luck tho

I was 312 and just miserable. When I got hurt I was around 270 to 280. When the mornings are cold, shit like my wrists and knees hurt. At 5'10, I think I should get my weight down to at least 230 to alleviate much more of the joint soreness.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 iron's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    I was 312 and just miserable. When I got hurt I was around 270 to 280. When the mornings are cold, shit like my wrists and knees hurt. At 5'10, I think I should get my weight down to at least 230 to alleviate much more of the joint soreness.
    ive got old man knee's but not due to my weight but the pateller track thing, and my right hand hurts like hell in the cold becasue i busted it on somebody's skull and it never healed right because i had a new job at the time that required climbing and shoveling, but after reading djms lung thing i kinda feel like a pussy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iron View Post
    ive got old man knee's but not due to my weight but the pateller track thing, and my right hand hurts like hell in the cold becasue i busted it on somebody's skull and it never healed right because i had a new job at the time that required climbing and shoveling, but after reading djms lung thing i kinda feel like a pussy
    yeah but im good now, your stuff still lingers, id truly hate that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    my friend is amazing cardio shape despite being 6'1 260, does crossfit, teaches kickboxing, spars at tristar with the camp, ect.....but at 36 his ankles are shot from supporting the weight, guy moves like a cat, but has alot of nagging soreness there and in the back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's inevitable it seems like ( except for Randy Couture ) and just something we have to deal with. Ah, but it'll all be over once we die. Comforting isn't it?

I believe in most cases, the taller you are, the heavier your bone structure is and capable of carrying more weight. Me being 5'10, my bone structure and size are pretty average, so the excess weight has taken it's toll. For me I have been trying to understand why I had this size obsession and how it was kind of detrimental to my health. I never wanted to hear or acccept the truth, but as I get older, it has my full attention now. Wanting to be big and jacked was a phase I think a lot of us go through and most of us probably still are.

Unless you have a complete obsession with being big, I think it's wise to start down sizing and thinking about the long run.