User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Member Feedback Score 0 William3's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to prevent diabetes

Diabetes has became a normal disease to most of people in Asia.What is the reason? How one can prevent it ?
    Last edited by SoCal-Nutrition; 05-15-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Be lOyAl

Administrator Feedback Score 1 (100%) SoCal-Nutrition's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William, in general Asians have a low insulin sensitivity (likely caused by generations of diets rich in white rice). This is why it's common for them to remain thin despite poor diets.

For most people, getting fat offers a negative feedback loop that says, I should eat better. For many asians, this never happens. They continue a diet of high sugar/simple carbs (rice)...leading to further insulin resistance.

Avoiding/moderating simple carbs and white rice would be the first step to avoiding issues.

I practically lived in China for 8 years and I know it's nearly impossible to tell anyone there to not eat white rice.
    www.SoCal-Nutrition.com
    Use Coupon code SWOLE5 to save 5% on all orders
    Prescription Nutrition Now Available!

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Nutrition View Post
    William, in general Asians have a low insulin sensitivity (likely caused by generations of diets rich in white rice). This is why it's common for them to remain thin despite poor diets.

For most people, getting fat offers a negative feedback loop that says, I should eat better. For many asians, this never happens. They continue a diet of high sugar/simple carbs (rice)...leading to further insulin resistance.

Avoiding/moderating simple carbs and white rice would be the first step to avoiding issues.

I practically lived in China for 8 years and I know it's nearly impossible to tell anyone there to not eat white rice.
    post deleted because I have nothing nice to say. perhaps the info above may be helpful to a type II but when the cause of type I remains unknown how in the world could anyone even suggest a means to prevent it ?
    Last edited by mahatma; 06-15-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in a diet and nutrition subforum, and I brought up my thoughts and observations from my experiences in Asia within the scope of diet and nutrition.

Last I read (I have not done a ton of research on this though) Type 1 diabetes was speculated to be a gene mutation, I don't know how to answer a question regarding avoiding gene mutations...no experience there.

I haven't read all the statistics, but there is some data on children with type 1 diabetes (ages 0 to 14).
    List of countries by incidence of Type 1 diabetes ages 0 to 14 - Diabetes UK

Looking at China and India (the mass of the population of Asia - and the world), the frequency of type 1 diabetes is significantly lower than much of the world. Per 100,000 children China had .6 with type 1 diabetes. India had a significantly larger number of 4.2 per 100k...but that's significantly lower than Finland (57.6).

Seems this is a hot topic for you, would be interested to see your thoughts on it.
    www.SoCal-Nutrition.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're in a diet and nutrition subforum, and I brought up my thoughts and observations from my experiences in Asia within the scope of diet and nutrition.

Last I read (I have not done a ton of research on this though) Type 1 diabetes was speculated to be a gene mutation, I don't know how to answer a question regarding avoiding gene mutations...no experience there.

I haven't read all the statistics, but there is some data on children with type 1 diabetes (ages 0 to 14).
    List of countries by incidence of Type 1 diabetes ages 0 to 14 - Diabetes UK

Looking at China and India (the mass of the population of Asia - and the world), the frequency of type 1 diabetes is significantly lower than much of the world. Per 100,000 children China had .6 with type 1 diabetes. India had a significantly larger number of 4.2 per 100k...but that's significantly lower than Finland (57.6).

Seems this is a hot topic for you, would be interested to see your thoughts on it.
    the data is a snapshot from 2011. I think if the reporting of incidences were done via a timeline it would show a steady increase globally. As I understand the cause of diabetes remains a mystery and has no known cure but only treatment at this time.

Any reporting will inevitably have a percentage of error and other calculation anomalies due to how the data was collected.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still curious what was it about my post that infuriated you...?
    www.SoCal-Nutrition.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still curious what was it about my post that infuriated you...?
    THIS: "Avoiding/moderating simple carbs and white rice would be the first step to avoiding issues"

This technique is/can be used to control a persons BG but I see no way that avoiding food is any type of prevention.

This was recently explained to me, do you know what a diabetic should not eat ?

A. Meat
    B. Candy
    C. Ice cream
    D. Cookie
    E. Poison

ANS: "E", a diabetic should not eat poison, all other foods can be enjoyed.

Not trying to argue, and I'm not infuriated, your comment(s) are well taken
    Last edited by mahatma; 06-17-2016 at 07:06 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed, we should not recommend anyone to eat poison.

you're mixing topics though, there's a difference between managing diabetes and working to avoid it.
    www.SoCal-Nutrition.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed, we should not recommend anyone to eat poison.

you're mixing topics though, there's a difference between managing diabetes and working to avoid it.
    And your proposing a person could avoid diabetes by avoiding certain foods ?

I like the idea of "working to avoid it" however, I still hold firm that food is a non-issue

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you don't believe that food has the potential to play any role in insulin resistance?

White rice consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: meta-analysis and systematic review | The BMJ
    www.SoCal-Nutrition.com