Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermittent Fasting Thread

Thread dedicated towards IF/Lean Gains

I'd like to see what other people are doing for IF, and if it's working for them, and where this program stacks up compared to other programs.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this at PP in July:

I, like many of you, had heard about Intermittent Fasting, specifically the Lean Gains protocol, for awhile and pretty much dismissed many of the principles. At the time, I was still training multiple times per day and without a consistent schedule and a restricted eating window was not something that sounded feasible or smart. However, by late March, I had a consistent lifting schedule and have focused on just PL'ing instead of MMA and I decided to research it a bit more and give it a shot. I read the text by Dr John Berardi, who I consider to be one of the smartest guys in the business, and sat down to outline how I would go about it.

At first, my main concern was hunger. I like, scratch that, LOVE to eat. I would eat pretty much from the moment I awoke until I went to bed, but that was called for at that particular moment of my life. These days, not so much and small feedings are no longer necessary. After a week or so, my body normalized and I now don't get hunger pangs until right around my feeding window.

My results have been really, really amazing. When I started I was about 235. It was an inflated, Winter induced 235, but by far the heaviest I had ever been in my life. Within a month, I was down to 220 and felt much, much better. Since then, I've lost another 10lbs on the scale, but I have had an almost effortless recomp while indulging more than I really should be. I'm at my leanest in quite some time and have done minimal cardio and a far from restricted diet. Most importantly, though, is that I have lost zero strength. I've actually managed to add 225lbs to my total since I started using LG and do not foresee a reason to really deviate from the protocol.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the summer of 2011 I tried Intermittent Fasting to help break a weight loss plateau. I drank MAP ( Peptopro ) protein shakes throughout the day, about 3 a day, and then a large meal or two at night. I explained what I was doing to a long time friend with a lot of experience in the gym and the kitchen. Well he couldn't fathom how I was losing weight, as he perscribed to the multiple meals throughout the day and cutting carbs at night- wich I was gorging on carbs at night.

Strength was not effected at all, and in fact I grew a little stronger, but I think it was due mostly to muscle memory.

Yesterday I started up IF to see how it stacks up with my body recovered from an injury, and participating in grappling and lifting program.

For the fasting part, on non-training days, I will be taking 5 Humapro tabs every hour. One large meal at night and a shake when I get home from work. That will make a 6 to 8 hour window refeed.

On training days, this is what my day will look like ( I work 130pm to 10pm btw)

-Fast from 8pm to 10am, about a 15 hour fast
    -10am- Shake ( SAA's, Leucine, Creatine )
    -1030am to 12pm- Jits training
    -1230pm- Shake ( SAA's, Leucine, Creatine, Carbonx, Protein powder )
    -1pm- Large meal, up to 1000 or more calories easy
    -Sprinkled throughout the day after, I will have shakes ( up to 2 )
    -630pm- Last meal, up to 700 calories give or take
    -8pm- Toying with idea of having one last shake, like Casein

Certain nights or days I will partake in a lifting program, going for strength to start out, and then go for a pump towards the end. I'm hoping I can recover from all this, drop weight, cut fat and at least maintain muscle mass. If this works I will continue this all through December.
    Last edited by Rulk; 11-27-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iv been trying a modified IF approach.....my first whole meal is at 1130am, last at 830pm, i count the time in between as my fast, not counting the 60g problend shake i do at 1130pm and 830am, at my size i dont see how 220cals from protein will impact things to any great extent......i can eat bigger in between and maintain my composition as compared to the 6-7 small meals spaced out.....seems to give similar effects, and like rodja stated, after a few days i got used to not eating much after waking till 1130, night is easier cause im tired after gym and lazy.......i do refeed/binge from fri evening to sat night tho, anything goes, and the above protocol all other times

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermittent Fasting Thread

I'm at the beginning of carb back loading, which is like IF. I did the Ketosis thing for a couple months before coming to the opinion that I need some carbs if anything on workout days. Basically work out days are no carbs until after six, and no low carbs on non work out days. Also, I don't eat breakfast so basically I fast from about eight at night until 12.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Jack O'Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Intermittent Fasting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    I'm at the beginning of carb back loading, which is like IF. I did the Ketosis thing for a couple months before coming to the opinion that I need some carbs if anything on workout days. Basically work out days are no carbs until after six, and no low carbs on non work out days. Also, I don't eat breakfast so basically I fast from about eight at night until 12.
    Exactly the same for me
    - I see you're on that famous beer and mustard diet. How's that workin' out for ya?
    Col. Jack O'Neill - Stargate SG1

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) milehighguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I read the text by Dr John Berardi, who I consider to be one of the smartest guys in the business, and sat down to outline how I would go about it.
    I did read Dr. Berardi's IF PDF which is a must read for anyone interested in IF. The one thing that has kept me from giving this a shot is my daily schedule. I work 8-5 and don't get to the gym until around 5:30. Dr. Berardi seemed to like the daily fast the best of all the methods he tried. If I remember correctly he was also working out right before he broke his fast. Since I go to work at 8am I can't workout midday right at the end of the fast. I also thought the overnight hours were critical to include in the fast. I am wondering if this would still work based on just the fasting period. I am still tempted to give it a shot but also thought I would keep researching the results of others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mile,

Keep an eye on my log, as I try to bust ass and follow IF/LG. I may even try the carb back loading deal as well.
    Brazilian Jiujitsu

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    Back in the summer of 2011 I tried Intermittent Fasting to help break a weight loss plateau. I drank MAP ( Peptopro ) protein shakes throughout the day, about 3 a day, and then a large meal or two at night. I explained what I was doing to a long time friend with a lot of experience in the gym and the kitchen. Well he couldn't fathom how I was losing weight, as he perscribed to the multiple meals throughout the day and cutting carbs at night- wich I was gorging on carbs at night.

Strength was not effected at all, and in fact I grew a little stronger, but I think it was due mostly to muscle memory.

Yesterday I started up IF to see how it stacks up with my body recovered from an injury, and participating in grappling and lifting program.

For the fasting part, on non-training days, I will be taking 5 Humapro tabs every hour. One large meal at night and a shake when I get home from work. That will make a 6 to 8 hour window refeed.

On training days, this is what my day will look like ( I work 130pm to 10pm btw)

-Fast from 8pm to 10am, about a 15 hour fast
    -10am- Shake ( SAA's, Leucine, Creatine )
    -1030am to 12pm- Jits training
    -1230pm- Shake ( SAA's, Leucine, Creatine, Carbonx, Protein powder )
    -1pm- Large meal, up to 1000 or more calories easy
    -Sprinkled throughout the day after, I will have shakes ( up to 2 )
    -630pm- Last meal, up to 700 calories give or take
    -8pm- Toying with idea of having one last shake, like Casein

Certain nights or days I will partake in a lifting program, going for strength to start out, and then go for a pump towards the end. I'm hoping I can recover from all this, drop weight, cut fat and at least maintain muscle mass. If this works I will continue this all through December.
    You could try some Humapro with 6g MCT or coconut oil before bed. This was suggested by Author L Rea, (owner of Alri who make Humapro).

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After all of his issues with QC and his insane hype, I don't trust, nor believe, anything Author has to say anymore.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys