User Tag List

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High DHT - Recommended what to do ?

My kid is 25 and has been through a world of health issues with an undiagnosable ( even been to Mayo Clinic ) auto-immune disease. Most his symptoms are under control but he takes a number of meds for his immune system. He has recently been diagnosed with low testosterone - his estrogen was low .. but his DHT is WAY high - indicates over activity of his 5- alpha - reductase enzyme. Any idea what you could recommend he take - want to attack it naturally if possible. Saw Palmetto and Stinging Nettle come to mind but any other good suggestions ? The word finasteride already came up from a doctors mouth and I shut that down fast.

Thanks in Advance

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haritec View Post
    My kid is 25 and has been through a world of health issues with an undiagnosable ( even been to Mayo Clinic ) auto-immune disease. Most his symptoms are under control but he takes a number of meds for his immune system. He has recently been diagnosed with low testosterone - his estrogen was low .. but his DHT is WAY high - indicates over activity of his 5- alpha - reductase enzyme. Any idea what you could recommend he take - want to attack it naturally if possible. Saw Palmetto and Stinging Nettle come to mind but any other good suggestions ? The word finasteride already came up from a doctors mouth and I shut that down fast.

Thanks in Advance
    This would be a good one for Tubzy....

IMO, out of what you had mentioned, I would go the nettle root first.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haritec View Post

Thanks in Advance
    please dont ever go near Saw palmetto, if u say u shut down the doctor for finasteride.. u need to be even more wary about the saw palmetto stuff...

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Swill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rahaysa View Post
    please dont ever go near Saw palmetto, if u say u shut down the doctor for finasteride.. u need to be even more wary about the saw palmetto stuff...
    Not way more wary at all, but saw palmetto can certainly have the same effect as finasteride as evidenced by many people on this board. I'd agree with CD that nettle would be the way to go. Lost Empire Herbs do a powder form and a tincture.
    WORK! CONSUME! DIE!

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When testosterone is low, dht goes high. So don't do anything to decrease dht, do things to increase testosterone.

I'm surprised anyone is recommending to doing anything at all haha!

Established Member Feedback Score 0 TubZy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of auto immune disease, do they have any idea at all or are even sure it is actually auto immune related? Doesn't sound like they are even sure.

I would suggest not lowering DHT at all actually. It is probably high due to a protective effect, possibly high estrogen in tissue not serum. Estrogen is the known trigger for auto immune or immune issues in the first place.

I would suggest get the testosterone up asap. That will bring estrogen up slightly and help provide a better balance. I would not lower DHT especially if T is also low, not a good idea at all. Once T gets up, reevaluate symptoms and can go from there, but I think that should resolve it or improve symptoms greatly. Testosterone and DHT are both protective of the immune system due to the antagonism to cortisol.

What meds does he take now? The immune drugs could actually be the cause of his low T and even high DHT.

Cyclosporine is a perfect example.
    Last edited by TubZy; 07-28-2017 at 08:00 AM.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TubZy's advice should be heeded in this case. DO NOT attempt to lower 5AR activity, especially by way of saw palmetto. The consequences could be long-lasting and devastating.

I would not recommend saw palmetto to anyone, for anything.