User Tag List

Thread: Brain maker

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brain maker

As some of you might know this condition is a mixture of hormones - brain - gut imbalance that leads to a systemic exhaustion. I have been reading this book which sheds a lot of light into the gut-brain connection. For anyone that is interested in knowing more about pro & prebiotics, the gut microbiota, how its balance affect the system holistically, and some ways to heal the gut and the brain. Particularly if you think your digestive condition is somewhat poor, I strongly suggest to take a look into this book written by a neurologist but explained in a way that anyone can understand:

https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Maker-P.../dp/0316380105
    Last edited by Holistic; 07-15-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Someone once asked a man how he was. He replied, “I’m going through hell!” Said his friend: “Well, keep on going. That is no place to stop!”

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll probably give this a read soon enough, I've had gut issues since I was 14 so and I also believe its a massive part for most of us.
    I know this guy is very anti-carbs and pro Ketogenic so will have to take it with a pinch of salt.
    Last edited by Benq123; 07-16-2017 at 03:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benq123 View Post
    Thanks, I'll probably give this a read soon enough, I've had gut issues since I was 14 so and I also believe its a massive part for most of us.
    I know this guy is very anti-carbs and pro Ketogenic so will have to take it with a pinch of salt.
    curious why you would take it with a pinch of salt because he is anti carbs?

I would say that in my experience, and in the experience of many PFS victims, a low carb diet is an essential part of recovery, especially gluten related carbs.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridd View Post
    curious why you would take it with a pinch of salt because he is anti carbs?

I would say that in my experience, and in the experience of many PFS victims, a low carb diet is an essential part of recovery, especially gluten related carbs.
    I agree low carb is generally the way to go, but everyone is different and some people can handle, and even do better on a lot more carbs than others. (I mean Paleo friendly carbs of course)
    Ketogenic is generally VERY low carb, no starches, basically no fruit etc, only carbs are non starchy veg.

Nothing against him or Keto, I just take everything with a pinch of salt, I don't believe in a one size fits all approach, I think you should build your own template around yourself, generally starting from Paleo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benq123 View Post
    I agree low carb is generally the way to go, but everyone is different and some people can handle, and even do better on a lot more carbs than others. (I mean Paleo friendly carbs of course)
    Ketogenic is generally VERY low carb, no starches, basically no fruit etc, only carbs are non starchy veg.

Nothing against him or Keto, I just take everything with a pinch of salt, I don't believe in a one size fits all approach, I think you should build your own template around yourself, generally starting from Paleo.
    gotcha. I agree, it's all about finding what is right for YOU. I don't think fruits, especially real, organic fruits, are any problem for myself, but I'm speaking with LUK who's super sensitive to them right now, in contrast.

however, with that logic, you could apply the 'pinch of salt' expression to literally any sort of recommendation, to be fair :P

holistic, thank you so much for the rec man. been reading a lot on this book and it's definitely an important piece to understanding some of our issues, with a lot of much needed scientific knowledge that really supports what we are doing here. even if we know all of this to be true, it's nice for someone in the scientific community to be on our side. I wish we could speak with this guy on what he thinks about PFS.
    Last edited by Ridd; 07-18-2017 at 02:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brain maker

holistic, thank you so much for the rec man. been reading a lot on this book and it's definitely an important piece to understanding some of our issues, with a lot of much needed scientific knowledge that really supports what we are doing here. even if we know all of this to be true, it's nice for someone in the scientific community to be on our side. I wish we could speak with this guy on what he thinks about PFS.[/QUOTE]

No problem man, that is what we are here for. Totally it helps to understand the puzzle, for example just before I crashed, I caught a mild infection wich had to be treated with a brief round of antibiotics and corticosteroids. Now I can see how that also induced the crash. Anyway I have the physical book and tried to find a pdf to share it here, unfortunately could not find it. What I like about it is that explains in depth the science of a lot of key points on the protocol. i.e why gluten can be so harmful, why fasting resets the system for good and lays out some recipes and eating plan
    I Agree to use your own judgment to see what works for you but not to the point of becoming a total sceptic. If you think about it, besides carbloading the carbs are out of CD's protocol. He is also against the use of pharma to treat diseases ( which coming from a neurologist is uncommon these days) and he thinks most cases can heal by living healthy thus restoring our homeostasis.

Personally I would love to switch to an all-in organic lifestyle but I just cant afford it right now.

Keep on brothers we will recover our manhood, we must endure!
    Last edited by Holistic; 07-18-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    Someone once asked a man how he was. He replied, “I’m going through hell!” Said his friend: “Well, keep on going. That is no place to stop!”

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If we think about where we evolved from....caucasian males, anyway.....we didn't have access to carbs MOST of the time. Think about it. Europe. Wild landscape. Covered in snow for almost half the year. What do you have to eat?

If and when you did have fruit, it was seasonal, a month or two out of the year at best.

Potatoes didn't exist in Europe, so that's out.

You didn't have grains, that's gone.

You had animals...protein, organs, fat, etc. You also had some leafy greens and non starchy veggies when in season. You had nuts and seeds, again, when in season.

When we look at what we had during our evolution, it should be clear what our best dietary choices should be.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"