User Tag List

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Damn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heart Rate Variability

Anybody here familiar with heart rate variability (HRV)? It measures the variation in timing between heartbeats and can be used to indicate where you are along the sympathetic (fight or flight) to parasympathetic (rest & digest) nervous system spectrum. Completely unrelated to PFS, my chiropractor has been measuring mine monthly for the last six or seven months. It has been pretty amazing to see my movement from almost redlined on sympathetic when I was first measured to nearly perfectly balanced a month ago. I didn’t really connect any dots on how this might be useful for recovery until I recently listened to a Ben Greenfield podcast where he mentioned he measures his HRV every day to determine the level of intensity for his workouts that day based on what his body could handle given his current nervous system state. Then someone asked me how you can know when your body is ready to start pushing harder with lifting, etc. without over stressing it. I started to wonder if this might not be a useful tool during recovery to help measure and effectively pace exercise, diet changes, etc. as it relates to level of stress and what your body is ready/able to handle. I think you can use most standard heart rate monitors and an app on your phone. Anybody have any experience with this?
    Last edited by Damn; 05-04-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    Never lose your sense of humor

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damn View Post
    Anybody here familiar with heart rate variability (HRV)? It measures the variation in timing between heartbeats and can be used to indicate where you are along the sympathetic (fight or flight) to parasympathetic (rest & digest) nervous system spectrum. Completely unrelated to PFS, my chiropractor has been measuring mine monthly for the last six or seven months. It has been pretty amazing to see my movement from almost redlined on sympathetic when I was first measured to nearly perfectly balanced a month ago. I didn’t really connect any dots on how this might be useful for recovery until I recently listened to a Ben Greenfield podcast where he mentioned he measures his HRV every day to determine the level of intensity for his workouts that day based on what his body could handle given his current nervous system state. Then someone asked me how you can know when your body is ready to start pushing harder with lifting, etc. without over stressing it. I started to wonder if this might not be a useful tool during recovery to help measure and effectively pace exercise, diet changes, etc. as it relates to level of stress and what your body is ready/able to handle. I think you can use most standard heart rate monitors and an app on your phone. Anybody have any experience with this?
    Was this guy on Rogan?

I think it's a great idea if you have access to the device.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"