User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antispasmodic herbs safe for protocol?

I'm wondering if CD or anyone knows of any herbs that can be used for irritable bowel that definitely won't mess with androgens.

Peppermint oil worked sooo well, but it inhibits dht. Maybe ginger is ok? So much conflicting info out there

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 jacknap's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    peppermint reduces androgen a lot. stay away.

ginger I think is good but not sure if it's good for IB. Don't know much about IB.
    From rock bottom to rockstar, baby.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Damn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basementdweller View Post
    I'm wondering if CD or anyone knows of any herbs that can be used for irritable bowel that definitely won't mess with androgens.

Peppermint oil worked sooo well, but it inhibits dht. Maybe ginger is ok? So much conflicting info out there
    I do a mug of tea most evenings with one bag Pau D' Arco and one bag Ginger & Lemon

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Maxout777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drink kefir. I had a really shitty gut at the beginning of this. I would say it was due to PFS, but I had my gallbladder removed and other issues prior to the PFS strike. Removing gluten, drinking kefir/kombucha fairly regularly, taking S. boullardi probiotics, and L-glutamine for the past year and some change has made ALL the difference in my gut health. Digestion is a breeze now. Betaine HCL (stomach acid) helps digestion as well too.
    There ain't no traffic along the extra mile.

Never Quit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxout777 View Post
    Drink kefir. I had a really shitty gut at the beginning of this. I would say it was due to PFS, but I had my gallbladder removed and other issues prior to the PFS strike. Removing gluten, drinking kefir/kombucha fairly regularly, taking S. boullardi probiotics, and L-glutamine for the past year and some change has made ALL the difference in my gut health. Digestion is a breeze now. Betaine HCL (stomach acid) helps digestion as well too.
    Thanks, I actually have a followup with my gastro. In addition to polyps (already removed) I may have gallstones.

I'm doing most those things currently, sub sauerkraut for kefir and my probiotic doesn't have s.bouillardi in it. I'll look for one that does.

Btw, I add psyllium to my protein shakes, is there any reason that might not be ideal? I figure it slows down the absorption of whey isolate while cleansing the gut.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Damn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I actually have a followup with my gastro. In addition to polyps (already removed) I may have gallstones.

I'm doing most those things currently, sub sauerkraut for kefir and my probiotic doesn't have s.bouillardi in it. I'll look for one that does.

Btw, I add psyllium to my protein shakes, is there any reason that might not be ideal? I figure it slows down the absorption of whey isolate while cleansing the gut.
    Agree that diet and supplements are key (I also do kefir - goat's milk due to casein a1 sensitivity, L-glutamine, digestive enzymes w/ s.boulardii, etc.), but odd question...do you meditate? If not, take a look at the link in the thread on meditation. Here is an excerpt:

Genomic and Clinical Effects Associated with a RR MBI in Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

Kuo et al. (38) undertook an uncontrolled trial with a mixed sample of 19 patients with IBS and 29 patients with IBD. Both IBS and IBD are chronic diseases of the digestive system that are exacerbated with stress, though they have different underlying physiology and symptoms. Previous studies found that psychological interventions such as psychotherapy and stress management can reduce symptoms and improve quality of life in IBD (48) and even more so in IBS (49). In this study, researchers explored if a relaxation response-based mind–body intervention (RR-MBI) could affect quality of life, inflammatory markers, and gene expression in IBS and IBD patients. The RR-MBI consisted of nine weekly meetings of 1.5 h and daily home practice of 15–20 min. The meetings included a variety of practical skills that induce the RR (e.g., breath focus, imagery, mindful awareness, and yoga) and cognitive skills that help to cope with stress. The theoretical part included lectures about the physiology of stress and digestion and promotion of health behaviors. Participants completed a set of self-report measures of common symptoms to both IBS and IBD (pain symptoms and catastrophizing, state and trait anxiety) and a set of disease-specific self-report measures (quality of life, severity of symptoms). Inflammation was measured as rate of sedimentation of red blood cells (erythrocyte sedimentation rate, ESR) and levels of CRP.

Immediately after RR-MBI and at a short-term follow-up 3 weeks later, both IBS and IBD patients showed greater quality of life and a significant reduction of symptoms of their condition and of anxiety. They reported improved coping with pain, but no change in how pain interferes with their functioning. Regarding biological measures, there was no change in ESR and CRP. In the IBD group, a total of 1059 genes had changed. These were related to improvements in inflammatory response, cell growth, proliferation, and oxidative stress-related pathways—kinases, inflammation, cell cycle, and proliferation. In the IBS group, 119 genes that are related to cell cycle regulation and DNA damage changed expression. Bioinformatics analysis of genes that changed expression (by using Interactive network analysis) found that NF-κB is a key molecule for both IBS and IBD.
    Last edited by Damn; 02-15-2018 at 07:38 AM.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Maxout777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psyllium husk has always made my digestion a nightmare. Not sure why, as it should be the opposite, but I avoid it for that reason alone. That's just my own reaction to it though. I recommend the S. Boullardi from Jarrow......it's on amazon.
    There ain't no traffic along the extra mile.

Never Quit.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Durantia37's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxout777 View Post
    Psyllium husk has always made my digestion a nightmare. Not sure why, as it should be the opposite, but I avoid it for that reason alone. That's just my own reaction to it though. I recommend the S. Boullardi from Jarrow......it's on amazon.
    I had good results from this brand as well. Most other probiotics have seemed to make things worse (since PFS).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damn View Post
    Agree that diet and supplements are key (I also do kefir - goat's milk due to casein a1 sensitivity, L-glutamine, digestive enzymes w/ s.boulardii, etc.), but odd question...do you meditate? If not, take a look at the link in the thread on meditation. Here is an excerpt:

Genomic and Clinical Effects Associated with a RR MBI in Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

Kuo et al. (38) undertook an uncontrolled trial with a mixed sample of 19 patients with IBS and 29 patients with IBD. Both IBS and IBD are chronic diseases of the digestive system that are exacerbated with stress, though they have different underlying physiology and symptoms. Previous studies found that psychological interventions such as psychotherapy and stress management can reduce symptoms and improve quality of life in IBD (48) and even more so in IBS (49). In this study, researchers explored if a relaxation response-based mind–body intervention (RR-MBI) could affect quality of life, inflammatory markers, and gene expression in IBS and IBD patients. The RR-MBI consisted of nine weekly meetings of 1.5 h and daily home practice of 15–20 min. The meetings included a variety of practical skills that induce the RR (e.g., breath focus, imagery, mindful awareness, and yoga) and cognitive skills that help to cope with stress. The theoretical part included lectures about the physiology of stress and digestion and promotion of health behaviors. Participants completed a set of self-report measures of common symptoms to both IBS and IBD (pain symptoms and catastrophizing, state and trait anxiety) and a set of disease-specific self-report measures (quality of life, severity of symptoms). Inflammation was measured as rate of sedimentation of red blood cells (erythrocyte sedimentation rate, ESR) and levels of CRP.

Immediately after RR-MBI and at a short-term follow-up 3 weeks later, both IBS and IBD patients showed greater quality of life and a significant reduction of symptoms of their condition and of anxiety. They reported improved coping with pain, but no change in how pain interferes with their functioning. Regarding biological measures, there was no change in ESR and CRP. In the IBD group, a total of 1059 genes had changed. These were related to improvements in inflammatory response, cell growth, proliferation, and oxidative stress-related pathways—kinases, inflammation, cell cycle, and proliferation. In the IBS group, 119 genes that are related to cell cycle regulation and DNA damage changed expression. Bioinformatics analysis of genes that changed expression (by using Interactive network analysis) found that NF-κB is a key molecule for both IBS and IBD.
    Yes, I do meditate but it's pretty much impossible to keep my mind quiet nowadays. I just throw on the holosync and do what I can do.

Yoga on the other hand I respond great to. There are a few yoga programs on youtube specifically for IBS that I do on non-lifting days. Highly recommended

That's the one I was looking at. I'll be buying that along with a Reuteri probiotic as well.
    Last edited by basementdweller; 02-15-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do meditate but it's pretty much impossible to keep my mind quiet nowadays. I just throw on the holosync and do what I can do.

Yoga on the other hand I respond great to. There are a few yoga programs on youtube specifically for IBS that I do on non-lifting days. Highly recommended

That's the one I was looking at. I'll be buying that along with a Reuteri probiotic as well.
    Have you tried the breathing exercises prior to meditation? It makes all the difference in the world. Do three to four rounds first, then meditate. You'll be shocked at the difference.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"