Thread: Bone Broth

Hybrid View

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Maxout777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bone Broth

I've been using bone broth for quite some time, during recovery, and after and I've always raved about it's benefits (although looking back, it appears I was only doing it offline...). Digestion, skin, you name it.....it's an honest superfood up there with pine pollen, and I believe it has a place in the protocol that isn't mentioned here enough.

It is relatively cheap to make, however it is time intensive (to a degree). For those of us with hectic schedules (I travel for work 50-60% of the time), it can be hard to keep up with or keep stock. I've recently found a company that I've vetted through and through to be able to purchase 100% grass-fed beef bone broth, that also sells chicken, and chicken and mushroom (and not just any mushroom, Lion's Mane!) and all has been fantastic. You can order via Amazon or purchase at a local Whole Foods - it's been an honest lifesaver for me. It's not cheap, but you pay for what you get (service and quality).

http://www.kettleandfire.com

Any one else have any experiences with bone broth or recipes they'd like to share for people who might be making their own?
    There ain't no traffic along the extra mile.

Never Quit.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly advocate the use of bone broth during recovery. It has helped immensely with food sensitivities. Thank you for posting the link. You can make bone broth in less time using an Instant Pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxout777 View Post
    I've been using bone broth for quite some time, during recovery, and after and I've always raved about it's benefits (although looking back, it appears I was only doing it offline...). Digestion, skin, you name it.....it's an honest superfood up there with pine pollen, and I believe it has a place in the protocol that isn't mentioned here enough.

It is relatively cheap to make, however it is time intensive (to a degree). For those of us with hectic schedules (I travel for work 50-60% of the time), it can be hard to keep up with or keep stock. I've recently found a company that I've vetted through and through to be able to purchase 100% grass-fed beef bone broth, that also sells chicken, and chicken and mushroom (and not just any mushroom, Lion's Mane!) and all has been fantastic. You can order via Amazon or purchase at a local Whole Foods - it's been an honest lifesaver for me. It's not cheap, but you pay for what you get (service and quality).

http://www.kettleandfire.com

Any one else have any experiences with bone broth or recipes they'd like to share for people who might be making their own?

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's spots that sell a coffee cup of bone broth where I live, i've had it once and really enjoyed it. I was considering incorporating it while juice fasting.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 jacknap's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use collagen in coffee. Truthnutra also makes bone broth as a supplement. Yeah Hair and skin benefits are noticiable. Also get rare aminos like glycine from it.

what's the different between bone broth or collagen? Seems like pretty much same thing no?
    From rock bottom to rockstar, baby.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Maxout777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacknap View Post
    I use collagen in coffee. Truthnutra also makes bone broth as a supplement. Yeah Hair and skin benefits are noticiable. Also get rare aminos like glycine from it.

what's the different between bone broth or collagen? Seems like pretty much same thing no?
    Not sure if there's any science behind it, but I always prefer getting my nutrients and aminos from the whole food version if I can. Not saying there's one that's better than the other, that's just my personal preference.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 DrivenToRecover's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally the closer it is to nature, and the less processed, the more nutritious.

Also, +1 on using the instant pot
    Last edited by DrivenToRecover; 04-16-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    Its only work until its routine

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think bone broth powder would be better than collagen since it's still whole food? I'm kind of on the fence on which one to go with.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basementdweller View Post
    Do you think bone broth powder would be better than collagen since it's still whole food? I'm kind of on the fence on which one to go with.
    Personally, For the cost I would say no. Bone broth is usually pretty expensive, where collagen can be found for pretty cheap.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxout777 View Post
    Not sure if there's any science behind it, but I always prefer getting my nutrients and aminos from the whole food version if I can. Not saying there's one that's better than the other, that's just my personal preference.
    Best way to get all nutrients, hands down.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Damn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both. I usually have some collagen in the morning mixed in with some kefir (sorry Jacknap, but my cup of coffee is way too sacred to jack it up with collagen ) and some homemade bone broth for a snack later in the day.

My recipe is pretty standard, but I have added a few tips: Get 4-5 pounds of grass-fed beef bones (about 2/3 knuckle bones & 1/3 marrow bones for the best consistency...pick ones with lots of connective tissue, etc. still on them).  Put on a roasting pan in the oven for around 45 minutes at 350 (that’s Fahrenheit for you international types ).  Transfer to a stock pot and add 4-5 quarts of cold water (filtered).  Add ¼ cup apple cider vinegar and let sit for about 30 minutes.  Bring to a light boil and then either: 1) reduce to a low simmer or 2) transfer to a slow cooker if you have one big enough to handle (or you can scale down the recipe if you don’t). Keep the foam skimmed off the top for the first hour or so.  Then put a cover on it (make sure to keep covered…If you let evaporate and add water, you just increase the concentration of shit that does not get completely filtered out of the water, e.g. fluoride, etc.) and let it continue to simmer for 48-72 hours.  About 12-24 before it’s done (I find the broth can get dark & bitter if you add these too early), add a large very roughly chopped onion, a few stalks of celery, a couple carrots, 5-6 large smashed cloves of garlic and sea salt to taste.  When finished, let cool for a bit and then strain into another pot.  Let cool a bit longer and then put in refrigerator to cool completely.  Skim the fat and transfer to Ball jars (make sure to only fill about half way), cover, and put in freezer.  Take out and thaw as needed…will last about 3 days in fridge.  Reheat and enjoy.
    Last edited by Damn; 04-19-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Never lose your sense of humor