User Tag List

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bodybuilding vs functional training

Should I train for pure size (hypertrophy) or can I train for athleticism. The fittest I've been was when I was doing a kettlebell program but I wasn't as muscular as I am now. I don't wanna be 'all show and no go' but I realize that size helps with confidence especially when I'm in public. When I'm playing basketball, however, I can feel that I'm not as functional and mobile.. Do rep ranges matter when it comes to T boosting (low rep range vs hypertrophy rep range)? It's hard to choose whether I want to train to play sports better or to look better.. It seems that you can't mix both with optimum results

Established Member Feedback Score 0 RickTheRuler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bodybuilding vs functional training

Keep lifting like you do whether it’s for strength or bodybuilding but add in athletic things, that way you don’t feel slow as you get bigger.. it does not have to be this way.

Lifting heavy deals with the strength side of the spectrum, sprints and plyometrics deal with the speed side of the spectrum.. you could argue sprints help with power but let’s put it at pure speed here.
    Both of these together = that middle ground which is Power (speed+strength)... power obviously is the biggest factor in your overall athleticism. So if you want to be more athletic, work on your power....
    I do plyometrics on the field after my sprinting sessions.. this means clapping pushups, broad jumps, jumping workouts etc.. all that stuff. Look into it ... doing this keeps me athletic despite doing the heavy lifting, you can actually get bigger and become more athletic/faster like this simultaneously. when people assume that you gaining mass and strength = you getting slower.. it is once again, bullshit. look at football players..
    You could also look into power cleans. If your an athlete of any type, it’s a must.. The #1 workout for power, hence the name. Olympic lifters don’t even work on jumping but the nature of what they do allows them to have insane vertical jump & sprint times.. these guys weigh 155 lbs and bring 400 lbs from the ground over their head.. takes an incredible amount of speed and strength to achieve this.. some of them do one legged backflips and a bunch of other nonsense.. there’s a direct correlation to power clean numbers and vertical leap (relative to body weight)

Hypothetical situations:: if all you did was lift heavy you’d get stronger, more muscle, but you’d feel less mobility, less speed, like your a step slower..... you’ll be strong, but not POWERFUL..

But if all you did was sprint and do plyometrics you’ll be quick and limber, but have no strength behind it, which equals a fast but not powerful person.

So incorporate some days where you do athletic things around your lifting schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does your weight training program look like?

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickTheRuler View Post
    Keep lifting like you do whether it’s for strength or bodybuilding but add in athletic things, that way you don’t feel slow as you get bigger.. it does not have to be this way.

Lifting heavy deals with the strength side of the spectrum, sprints and plyometrics deal with the speed side of the spectrum.. you could argue sprints help with power but let’s put it at pure speed here.
    Both of these together = that middle ground which is Power (speed+strength)... power obviously is the biggest factor in your overall athleticism. So if you want to be more athletic, work on your power....
    I do plyometrics on the field after my sprinting sessions.. this means clapping pushups, broad jumps, jumping workouts etc.. all that stuff. Look into it ... doing this keeps me athletic despite doing the heavy lifting, you can actually get bigger and become more athletic/faster like this simultaneously. when people assume that you gaining mass and strength = you getting slower.. it is once again, bullshit. look at football players..
    You could also look into power cleans. If your an athlete of any type, it’s a must.. The #1 workout for power, hence the name. Olympic lifters don’t even work on jumping but the nature of what they do allows them to have insane vertical jump & sprint times.. these guys weigh 155 lbs and bring 400 lbs from the ground over their head.. takes an incredible amount of speed and strength to achieve this.. some of them do one legged backflips and a bunch of other nonsense.. there’s a direct correlation to power clean numbers and vertical leap (relative to body weight)

Hypothetical situations:: if all you did was lift heavy you’d get stronger, more muscle, but you’d feel less mobility, less speed, like your a step slower..... you’ll be strong, but not POWERFUL..

But if all you did was sprint and do plyometrics you’ll be quick and limber, but have no strength behind it, which equals a fast but not powerful person.

So incorporate some days where you do athletic things around your lifting schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fantastic response.

Agreed on all counts.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"