Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    Was able to send it off my phone. Here is a picture of the devil:

Attachment 297

Here is the story (long, only read if interested):

After I had lost my dog, (some of you PP guys should remember, I was fairly upset about it for some time), I had decided that I couldn't have another dog, as I didn't want to see one as a replacement for the other. As time passed, however, there was a bit of an emptyness in the home, and after a long discussion with the gf, we decided we were going to adopt.

We were set on adopting from a rescue shelter. After some searching, my girlfriend found him online and wanted to see him immediately (along with another who was conveniently housed with him). We fell in love rather quickly. He was playful, very excited, and seemed like a good companion. There was one issue, however. He was shedding like mad. We had gone to visit him after work, so I was in a suit, and my entire suit was covered in his hair nearly instantly. My concern was that he was unhealthy, as a coat/shedding, can be indicative of a dog's health. That night we spoke to my vet. She said she couldn't guarantee anything without seeing him, but it could just be a nervous reaction to the shelter.

The next day I went to pick him up. Nervous as hell the whole way home, I practically had to drag him away from the shelter and nearly the entire car ride home, he shyed as far away from me as possible. Quite different than our first encounter. Either way, we were happy to have him.

Now I will say one thing about adoption. Know what you are getting yourself into. I would never discourage it, but it takes alot of strength to bring an animal back on track. You may notice in that picture (I may have made it too small, I can probably at another time upload a better picture), that he has a scar. The scar runs from his snout (below his eye) all the way to the top of his skull, where a hard white mass is present above his skin (it appears to be exposed skull, it is rather small). Due to this, we suspect abuse from prior owners. Unfortunately, we have zero history on him. The shelter we took him from adopted him from a kill-shelter. The initial shelter had no records, literally a folder that said "beagle." Due to what was most likely a traumatic past, he has numerous behavioral issues. He can very easily be made nervous (shedding). He is territorial (insane protection of my gf, which has even led to him charging the door everything someone comes off the elevator at night (I live in a condo)). But the most dominant issue, is severe seperation anxiety.

When we first adopted him, anytime we would leave, he would cry very loudly next to the door continuously. It was very hard to leave him because of this, especially with neighbors questioning what is occuring. He also, even to this day, immediately goes to the bathroom when we leave, even if he just returned from outside. This has been very difficult to deal with, as anytime we leave the house, we know we are going to return to an issue. It is hard to stay mad at him though, especially given circumstance. We are slowly improving this behavior, but it has really put me and my gf to the test of dog ownership. An extension of this seperation anxiety also includes destruction. He will rip up anything he can find when left alone. Luckily, this has slowed dramatically, but he still uses destruction as a means of getting our attention when we are home.

All of this said, I have zero regrets. I will keep putting in the work necessary to help him keep improving.
    Admirable, H2S. All of our girls are rescues and we continue to foster here and there. Just a matter of time before the wife falls in love with 1 and we end up keeping it. or 2. lol I'm sure I don't have to tell you to give it time and it will be more than worth it.

Rodja, love the 1st pic dude!!

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoneDaddy View Post
    Was anyone in the pics wearing that small sombrero?
    fk iv deleted 4 comebacks to this ^^^, none good enough haha, congrats

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BoneDaddy View Post
    Admirable, H2S. All of our girls are rescues and we continue to foster here and there. Just a matter of time before the wife falls in love with 1 and we end up keeping it. or 2. lol I'm sure I don't have to tell you to give it time and it will be more than worth it.

Rodja, love the 1st pic dude!!
    same here bud, itll work out in the end for sure, your efforts will be worth it, karma man....that and that dog is better off now than he ever was and still it will get a ton better

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Mr_math's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FK!!! Finally a pet post!!!!!!!

Love all your guys' pictures. Seriously a big fan of most dogs after a touching moment with a GSP/choc lab mix. Ever since then I wanted a hunting dog like a lab, weimer, viszla, GSP. Etc. then the fiance's parents got a goldendoodle which had an amazing personality. We ended up getting an awesome medium labradoodle. Best of both worlds for me. She has out fetched the majority of the dogs we've met at the dog park. Will be 2 in feb. 37 lbs of non stop wanting to fetch. Smart as hell, but just a great personality. I love cats too, just don't wanna deal with cat hair and cat shit anymore.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Tons more on Instagram lol.
    Last edited by Mr_math; 12-04-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    Use code MEM1153 for a discount on your TrueNutrition.com orders.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huge dog lover here. I like cats too, but I can't own them or have close contact with them because I am very allergic. But these are my other children.

Both dogs were adopted from a local shelter.

Kip is a white Husky/Australian cattle dog. He is one of the most loving dogs I've ever been around and loves children. But he is fiercely independent, a little fickle sometimes (wants love and contact when HE wants it) and can be stubborn. He is a glutton for attention, though, and loves attention from strangers.

Panda is my black and white Beagle/English setter mix. She's a beautiful dog and loves people. She is gentle and can be needy. But that's OK with me because I enjoy my time in the chair or on the couch with her.

Kip1.jpgKip2.jpgPanda.jpg

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a cat person. I have his name tattood on my chest. (under the xxiv thing)

Last edited by xxiv; 12-04-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxiv View Post
    I'm a cat person. I have his name tattood on my chest.
    thought you had the wife's name there too. and some date. your chest is like your own personal wikipedia page, huh? lol

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longBallLima View Post
    thought you had the wife's name there too. and some date. your chest is like your own personal wikipedia page, huh? lol
    the xxiv chest rocker is my anniversary, under it on my sternum i have a sacred heart with his name on it. I'll do my kids names soon enough.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    Was able to send it off my phone. Here is a picture of the devil:

Attachment 297

Here is the story (long, only read if interested):

After I had lost my dog, (some of you PP guys should remember, I was fairly upset about it for some time), I had decided that I couldn't have another dog, as I didn't want to see one as a replacement for the other. As time passed, however, there was a bit of an emptyness in the home, and after a long discussion with the gf, we decided we were going to adopt.

We were set on adopting from a rescue shelter. After some searching, my girlfriend found him online and wanted to see him immediately (along with another who was conveniently housed with him). We fell in love rather quickly. He was playful, very excited, and seemed like a good companion. There was one issue, however. He was shedding like mad. We had gone to visit him after work, so I was in a suit, and my entire suit was covered in his hair nearly instantly. My concern was that he was unhealthy, as a coat/shedding, can be indicative of a dog's health. That night we spoke to my vet. She said she couldn't guarantee anything without seeing him, but it could just be a nervous reaction to the shelter.

The next day I went to pick him up. Nervous as hell the whole way home, I practically had to drag him away from the shelter and nearly the entire car ride home, he shyed as far away from me as possible. Quite different than our first encounter. Either way, we were happy to have him.

Now I will say one thing about adoption. Know what you are getting yourself into. I would never discourage it, but it takes alot of strength to bring an animal back on track. You may notice in that picture (I may have made it too small, I can probably at another time upload a better picture), that he has a scar. The scar runs from his snout (below his eye) all the way to the top of his skull, where a hard white mass is present above his skin (it appears to be exposed skull, it is rather small). Due to this, we suspect abuse from prior owners. Unfortunately, we have zero history on him. The shelter we took him from adopted him from a kill-shelter. The initial shelter had no records, literally a folder that said "beagle." Due to what was most likely a traumatic past, he has numerous behavioral issues. He can very easily be made nervous (shedding). He is territorial (insane protection of my gf, which has even led to him charging the door everything someone comes off the elevator at night (I live in a condo)). But the most dominant issue, is severe seperation anxiety.

When we first adopted him, anytime we would leave, he would cry very loudly next to the door continuously. It was very hard to leave him because of this, especially with neighbors questioning what is occuring. He also, even to this day, immediately goes to the bathroom when we leave, even if he just returned from outside. This has been very difficult to deal with, as anytime we leave the house, we know we are going to return to an issue. It is hard to stay mad at him though, especially given circumstance. We are slowly improving this behavior, but it has really put me and my gf to the test of dog ownership. An extension of this seperation anxiety also includes destruction. He will rip up anything he can find when left alone. Luckily, this has slowed dramatically, but he still uses destruction as a means of getting our attention when we are home.

All of this said, I have zero regrets. I will keep putting in the work necessary to help him keep improving.
    I'll FW this to my wife. she's a certified trainer and might have some insight if you're interested

Super Moderator Feedback Score 3 (100%) BBG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxiv View Post
    I'm a cat person. I have his name tattood on my chest. (under the xxiv thing)
    Your cat's name should be "Majestic as Fuck"
    Super not-not-moderator BBG

Need extra cash? List of "Get Paid To" sites: Make $5 a day