User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sprinting - Injury prevention

How do you guys avoid the common injuries from sprinting?
    Any specific tips/exercises? Or is it just a case of building up over time and getting your body used to the movement?

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benq123 View Post
    How do you guys avoid the common injuries from sprinting?
    Any specific tips/exercises? Or is it just a case of building up over time and getting your body used to the movement?
    You can build up to sprinting by going for incrementally faster jogs over a few weeks. When you’re ready to start sprinting, warm up before each session with a short, mid/fast-paced jog - I get my warm-up in on the way to the field where I do my sprints. Most importantly, DO NOT STRETCH BEFOREHAND, as you’ll be much more likely to pull a muscle, as I found out the hard way.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
    You can build up to sprinting by going for incrementally faster jogs over a few weeks. When you’re ready to start sprinting, warm up before each session with a short, mid/fast-paced jog - I get my warm-up in on the way to the field where I do my sprints. Most importantly, DO NOT STRETCH BEFOREHAND, as you’ll be much more likely to pull a muscle, as I found out the hard way.
    Sound advice here.

Also becareful of shin splints. You may need to build up the shin muscle to keep this at bay. As Marquis said, simply go slow and build up to explosive speed.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Board Admin Feedback Score 0 delsolrob's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    myofacial release (like foam rolling) is quite helpful and is often more beneficial than dynamic stretching...this can help prevent muscle tears and will take some strain off connective tissue.

Board Admin Feedback Score 0 delsolrob's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I moved this to the training section...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by delsolrob View Post
    Also, I moved this to the training section...
    Thanks

And thanks CD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    Sound advice here.

Also becareful of shin splints. You may need to build up the shin muscle to keep this at bay. As Marquis said, simply go slow and build up to explosive speed.
    Can I just ask, what is your opinion on type of shoe? Minimalist Vs maximalist or something in between?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can I just ask, what is your opinion on type of shoe? Minimalist Vs maximalist or something in between?
    I personally like sprinting barefoot. You build the musculature in the ankles and foot itself and it's how we were designed to use them. I have in the past used the vibram five fingers minimalist shoe and I did like them. I always sprint on the grass because it's low impact and it allows me to use no foot wear.

You'll feel the difference after the first few sessions. You'll notice you're working muscles you didn't know you had in those areas.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    I personally like sprinting barefoot. You build the musculature in the ankles and foot itself and it's how we were designed to use them. I have in the past used the vibram five fingers minimalist shoe and I did like them. I always sprint on the grass because it's low impact and it allows me to use no foot wear.

You'll feel the difference after the first few sessions. You'll notice you're working muscles you didn't know you had in those areas.
    Thanks man,
    Other than starting at a lower intensity and building up to full intensity over ~4 weeks, is there anything else you recommend when starting barefoot/minimalist sprinting to avoid injury? (Since my feet have been used to a mostly cushioned lifestyle)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks man,
    Other than starting at a lower intensity and building up to full intensity over ~4 weeks, is there anything else you recommend when starting barefoot/minimalist sprinting to avoid injury? (Since my feet have been used to a mostly cushioned lifestyle)
    If you haven't sprinted or ran in a good while, you're going to want to build up your shin muscle to avoid shin splints. You can do a few sets everyday as it's rather low impact. Aside from that, just start slow and build.